Mother gave me her slow cooker, recipes?

Started by Instant Dan, February 13, 2012, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mutantcolors

Quote from: mertzy on May 15, 2012, 11:23:46 PM
Have any of you tried chicken in a slow cooker? I've only done beef & pork...

See the MEAT thread. I do 5lbs of thighs at a go.

Chickengasm.

mertzy

Quote from: peoplething on May 18, 2012, 12:42:55 PM
Quote from: Desertblues on May 18, 2012, 07:04:52 AM
Quote from: mertzy on May 15, 2012, 11:23:46 PM
Have any of you tried chicken in a slow cooker? I've only done beef & pork...

If you use chicken, use thigh fillet, no bones as I found out.  The bones break down and you end up picking your way through the meal. 

or just boneless/skinless breasts. throw whatever spices/sauces you want in there. really, really easy.

I tried this recipe twice, and while it's pretty good, it could use some augmentation.

8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and halved if large
    4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
    kosher salt and black pepper
    1 sheet puff pastry (half a 17.3-ounce package), thawed
    1 cup frozen peas
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1/3 cup heavy cream

Directions

In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the mushrooms, carrots, onion, flour, thyme, bay leaf, and ½ cup water. Place the chicken on top; season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
    Cover and cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
    Thirty minutes before serving, heat oven to 425° F. Using a 4½-inch cutter or large glass, cut the pastry into 4 circles. Place on a baking sheet and bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
    Ten minutes before serving, add the peas, green beans, cream, and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high or low until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more. To serve, place the chicken mixture in bowls and top with the pastry rounds.
Comfort food.

I,Galactus

Bump for slow and low...

I made spaghetti and meatballs in the slow cooker yesterday by modifying this recipe and it was delicious; so good I ate way too much and almost made myself sick.

For the slow cooker, I made the meatballs the night before.  Before going in to work, I sauteed the onion and garlic and dumped everything in the crock pot.  When I came home at lunch, I turned in on low.  After work (5 hours later) I plopped the meatballs in and let it simmer for another hour before serving.

Only substitution was that I used italian seasoning (dried oregano and rosemary) instead of parsely in the meatballs because I already had it on hand.  Be advised that since there's no sausage in the meatballs, they are not spicy, thus robbing you of the opportunity to say "Now that's-a spicy meat-a-ball!" in your cornballiest tone.

Huge amounts of leftovers makes this a win for me.  Cheap, easy, delicious, and plentiful.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RAGER

Did this yesterday before work. Turned out super killer. Take a whole chicken and rub down with your rub or herbs of choice on the inside and under the skin. Rub under the skin with butter and on top of the skin. Sprinkle remaining rub or herbs generously over the outside. Preheat oven to 450. Put bird in roasting pan and in the oven for about 20 min to half. Long enough to brown up the out side and get the skin crispy. Beware of fire hazard. Put bird in crockpot on low for about 8 hours. At about the 6 hour mark pull off the juices and giblets for gravy or whatever. Let bird go for the remaking 2 hours.  Fukn  delish.
No Focus Pocus

black

Glad to see this thread back up.
Thanks for the recipes y'all.

Slow Cooker/Crock Pot FTW!!
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

MadJohnShaft

I'm not brave enough to stick a whole chicken in there without liquid - won't it burn down my house?

I've also been looking to address the weird off taste in a slow cooker - the Internet says it is due to onions and garlic cooking for a long time and if you leave those out you don't get that flavor. Thoughts?
Some days chickens, some days feathers

black

Maybe try a soft scrub with some baking soda and/or let it "cook" for a few hours with some vinegar.

I have two Crock Pots. One is a family heirloom and around 35-40 years old. Never had a problem like you described, but you might try the above for getting the weird taste and odors out.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Jor el

Crock Potted Mulled Cider on Christmas Eve.

Smelled/Tasted fantastic.
What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

Don't worry about the no liquid, there's enough liquid that comes off to make a gravy. Ain't gonna burn down your house foo. Just do it and thank me later.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Okay, but I'll try it the first time when I am around.

Jor el

You should buy a Bread Machine® and watch it make bread.
What Would Scooby Do ?

RacerX

pft. I create a great loaf every morning in far less than 5 minutes (unless you count wiping time).
Livin' The Life.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I use that five minute recipe for pizza dough.

Hey - I slow cooked a whole skinless chicken without adding liquid or anything else to the pot. I rubbed it with chilli oil, paprika, herbs, and some other stuff and set it in there upside down.  Was done 3 hours on high so I let it sit on warm another hour until time to use. I combined the pan juices with the mole paste and made enchiladas.

This is probably the easiest way to cook one of my whole CSA chickens so far - they can be tough so I have to find forgiving ways to cook them.  I have 6 or more in the freezer. 

RAGER

You're welcome but seriously 8-10 hours on low.  Totes amaze balls tender.  Gonna do some ribs on Monday using the same technique.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Yeah, that covers a day at work so I'll do that for sure.

Lumpy

I've cooked ribs for 10 hours and the bones were floppy. Kinda ruined it for me.

Maybe it was longer than 10 hours, it was a long time though.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

MadJohnShaft

peoplething

I know this is the cooking forum, and most of the shenanigans is kept to Gen. Disc. but...........

I heard Rager loves to take hard bones and make them floppy.

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Yeah I did a whole chicken in the crockpot Friday and was great - I will do this a lot, you get control over the final output, you get some nice gravy, and it works really good with those tough little CSA chickens

RAGER

The first day with the last bird I made a gravy and some red taters to go with it.  Same thing the next night for dinner.  Skipped chicken the next day.  This morning I sectioned off a whole breast and made a chicken salad on greens with some cracker for lunch which I'm gonna devour in about 20 minutes.  The back meat, wing meat and the rest got picked off for tacos tonight and set aside.  I then left the bones in the crock and added water carrots, celery, garlic, and onion.  That'll be done tonight and packed up and frozen.  Pretty good process I think.
No Focus Pocus

Mr Neutron

my extremely tedious chicken and black bean soup recipe:

2 lbs boneless skinless thighs.
1 jar salsa (i prefer cheap salsa verde)
1 tbsp diced garlic
1.5 tps cumin.

cook on high for 3 hrs or so. until chicken falls apart if you try and pick it up with a fork.

drain crock pot, and clean (or use a new crock pot bag, if thats your thing.) shred the chicken.

2 16oz cans of black beans - drained and rinsed
1 11oz? can diced tomatoes - drained (i use the rotel brand with diced habaneros included)
16 - 24 oz chicken stock (i use less, i like thicker soup)
7oz kernel corn (frozen, or can...whatevs)
1 tbsp garlic
1 tbsp hot chili powder
1 tbsp diced garlic
3 to 4 jalapenos diced and seeded
optional 1 cup of cooked ground chorizo

8 or so hours on low should be good.
if you need to thicken, tear up a couple of corn tortillas at about the 7 hour mark, and add to the soup, turn up to high.

I serve with crushed up tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and a 75-25 mixture of guacamole & sour cream.

even better as leftovers.

"Where words fail, music speaks."