Mother gave me her slow cooker, recipes?

Started by Instant Dan, February 13, 2012, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

I have a cast iron dutch oven which I like but I would like to try this out.

demon gal

are you trying to convert slow cooker recipes to Dutch oven and vice versa?

A recipe that is cooked on the low setting in your slow cooker will take about a quarter as long in a Dutch oven in a 325-degree oven (if it cooks for 8 hours on low, it will take two to three hours in the Dutch oven). A recipe that is cooked on high setting will take about half as long. But remember, that's only an estimate, so leave yourself a little extra time.

Also here is a thread where we posted slow cooker recipes.

http://riffrocklives.com/forum/index.php?topic=3190.0

RAGER

I rarely use my crockpot.  not a big fan but....

What I would do is make a pork ragout to put over rice or pasta.

country pork ribs,  The fatty boneless ones.  cheap cuts are good for slow cooking.

Salt and pepper them generously then brown them in a pan with olive oil a couple pcs at a time.  
Then add a mire poix (chopped carrots,onion, celery and garlic if you want)  saute for about 4 mins on med. high heat.
Deglaze the pan with chicken stock.  then pour that and all the little scraped up bit into the crock pot with the pork meat.
add a can or two of diced canned tomatoes, large roughly chopped carrots and onions and celery.  Even some mushrooms if you want
Add more chicken stock to bring the liquid level up to the top of the meat but covering it.
Add some thyme and oregano, let cook all day.

Browning the meat first is crucial.  You can do a beef stew pretty much like this except that I would dredge the beef in flour before
browning.  This will give you a good thick gravy
No Focus Pocus

mertz

I love my slow cooker, I buy a big beef roast...shred it...heat up some corn tortillas and have friends over for taco night.

I,Galactus

Quote from: mertz on February 14, 2012, 06:55:34 AM
I love my slow cooker, I buy a big beef roast...shred it...heat up some corn tortillas and have friends over for taco night.
Let's be friends!  Works great with pork tenderloin too (re: my post in that other slow cooker thread).
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

mertz

Mmmmmm I could make carnitas out of a pork tenderloin....Mmmmmm

RAGER

Quote from: mertz on February 14, 2012, 09:07:53 AM
Mmmmmm I could make carnitas out of a pork tenderloin....Mmmmmm

My friends rave aboot my carnitas
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I'd bet the recipe is the same as yours.  pork roast cut in about 2 " square pieces , season with salt and pepper.  Brown in batches.  Sweat lots of onions and just a little garlic.  Meat back into the pan with a couple glugs of olive oil, water to cover the meat.  Orange slices and dried Mexican oregano.  Then it's just time and love until nice and tender.  then comes the important part.  quick little saute of shredded pieces with more black pepper and some lime juice in a cast iron skillet until kinda crispy.  Onto warmed corn tortillas with cilantro, onions, fresh lime juice and some hot sauce.  plus I always have jalapenos y zanahorias en escabeche on the side.  Pint of michelada and good night. 8)
No Focus Pocus

mertz

Hmmm I don't use Mexican oregano. I will try that next time.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

if you two substitute 'slave labor' for 'oregano'..you will have a problem on your hands..just sayin....

mertz

mertz

Quote from: RAGER on February 14, 2012, 11:22:42 AM
I'd bet the recipe is the same as yours.  pork roast cut in about 2 " square pieces , season with salt and pepper.  Brown in batches.  Sweat lots of onions and just a little garlic.  Meat back into the pan with a couple glugs of olive oil, water to cover the meat.  Orange slices and dried Mexican oregano.  Then it's just time and love until nice and tender.  then comes the important part.  quick little saute of shredded pieces with more black pepper and some lime juice in a cast iron skillet until kinda crispy.  Onto warmed corn tortillas with cilantro, onions, fresh lime juice and some hot sauce.  plus I always have jalapenos y zanahorias en escabeche on the side.  Pint of michelada and good night. 8)
I'm having a dinner party sat night...making your recipe.

MadJohnShaft

Ooooo.... The crispy part is the win. Got it and like it.

Get this - I left the lid off the damn thing. Lost a whole meal and cried.  Wife didn't put the top on - 'I thought you wanted it off'.

Women - how do they work????
Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

Quote from: mertz on February 24, 2012, 10:59:06 PM
Quote from: RAGER on February 14, 2012, 11:22:42 AM
I'd bet the recipe is the same as yours.  pork roast cut in about 2 " square pieces , season with salt and pepper.  Brown in batches.  Sweat lots of onions and just a little garlic.  Meat back into the pan with a couple glugs of olive oil, water to cover the meat.  Orange slices and dried Mexican oregano.  Then it's just time and love until nice and tender.  then comes the important part.  quick little saute of shredded pieces with more black pepper and some lime juice in a cast iron skillet until kinda crispy.  Onto warmed corn tortillas with cilantro, onions, fresh lime juice and some hot sauce.  plus I always have jalapenos y zanahorias en escabeche on the side.  Pint of michelada and good night. 8)
I'm having a dinner party sat night...making your recipe.

Awesome!!  let me know how it goes.  In the summer time when I have lots of fresh veggies, i do a roasted salsa molcajete to go along.  Blanco tequila shots??
No Focus Pocus

mertz

I'll have to dig up my grandfathers salsa recipe for you. Actually, it's my great grandmothers recipe. It's HOT! but amazing!

MadJohnShaft

carnitas tonight it is, got some pork at indoor farmers market. bueno.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

neighbor664

I am trying out a slow cooker beef borscht today. Fingers crossed it turns out ok.

lowdaddy

mother gave me her slowcooker would make a good horror movie title.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

mertzy

Have any of you tried chicken in a slow cooker? I've only done beef & pork...

rayinreverse

I use my Le Crouset dutch all the time in the winter. Its my go to cooking vessel. Pork shoulder, onions, peppers, chicken stock, s & P, cumin, garlic, lime, cilantro,chile powder, maybe a touch of brown sugar, or a little mexican coca cola. cooked all day long low and slow in the oven. delicious.

Desertblues

Quote from: mertzy on May 15, 2012, 11:23:46 PM

If you use chicken, use thigh fillet, no bones as I found out.  The bones break down and you end up picking your way through the meal. 

peoplething

Quote from: Desertblues on May 18, 2012, 07:04:52 AM
Quote from: mertzy on May 15, 2012, 11:23:46 PM

If you use chicken, use thigh fillet, no bones as I found out.  The bones break down and you end up picking your way through the meal. 

or just boneless/skinless breasts. throw whatever spices/sauces you want in there. really, really easy.

I tried this recipe twice, and while it's pretty good, it could use some augmentation.

8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and halved if large
    4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
    kosher salt and black pepper
    1 sheet puff pastry (half a 17.3-ounce package), thawed
    1 cup frozen peas
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1/3 cup heavy cream

Directions

In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the mushrooms, carrots, onion, flour, thyme, bay leaf, and ½ cup water. Place the chicken on top; season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
    Cover and cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
    Thirty minutes before serving, heat oven to 425° F. Using a 4½-inch cutter or large glass, cut the pastry into 4 circles. Place on a baking sheet and bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
    Ten minutes before serving, add the peas, green beans, cream, and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high or low until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more. To serve, place the chicken mixture in bowls and top with the pastry rounds.

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator