Made you guys something to eat..dig in...The Mexican food thread.

Started by mertz, February 25, 2012, 09:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mertz

Had a few friends over for an early dinner. Made an extra plate of steak picado for you. My rice is a
kinda mushy, and the tortillas are store bought. Hope you don't mind. What's your favorite Mexican food?

RAGER

Looks great.  What happened to carnitas?  i'd eat that though.

Caldo de albondigas will be done in aboot 15. 
No Focus Pocus

mertz

One of my friends won't eat pork. Had to change the menu. I need to work on the rice. It's always a bit mushy.

RAGER

Use 1 1/2-1 3/4 cup of liquid to rice ratio instead of doubling it like it says on the package usually.  20 minutes don't even take the lid off and let rest for a few.  i also saute` for just a few minutes in evoo with a little salt and pepper too before adding chicken stock.
No Focus Pocus

mertz

Quote from: RAGER on February 25, 2012, 10:28:27 PM
Use 1 1/2-1 3/4 cup of liquid to rice ratio instead of doubling it like it says on the package usually.  20 minutes don't even take the lid off and let rest for a few.  i also saute` for just a few minutes in evoo with a little salt and pepper too before adding chicken stock.
I sauté the rice as well. I will try your rice to liquid ratio next time. The steak picado was a hit though. Everyone is still parked all over my living room and can't move.

The Shocker

Quote from: mertz on February 25, 2012, 10:06:31 PM
One of my friends won't eat pork. Had to change the menu. I need to work on the rice. It's always a bit mushy.

I like sticky rice.

mertz

cat shepard

Quote from: mertz on February 25, 2012, 10:32:29 PM
Quote from: RAGER on February 25, 2012, 10:28:27 PM
I sauté the rice as well. I will try your rice to liquid ratio next time. The steak picado was a hit though. Everyone is still parked all over my living room and can't move.
Everybody is farting all over your cushions.

mortlock

i prefer the beans over the rice..never been a big fan of rice in mexican food. same with chicken.

mertz

I didn't want my guests farting on my couch, or smelling up my bathroom!

mertz

Hey Rager! I'm might be doing a taco night at my place this weekend doing shredded beef in the slow cooker...any suggestions?

RAGER

Man I would do flank steak carne asada.  There's a bazillion recipes for carne asada which are all probably good but I would slice the meat first and only marinate for about and hour on the counter room temp (don't be scared meat is best cooked @ room temp).  served with a simple pico de gallo and queso cotija.  Oooh maybe make some flan
No Focus Pocus

mertz

My birthday dinner... Chicken in a cilantro white sauce...yum!

rayinreverse

there is a mexican restaurant here called Red Iguana. I dig their mole's quite a bit. But my ultimate mexican dish is cochanita pibil.
and I know its cliche because of that movie, but when its good, god damn it is almost worth murdering for.

Lumpy

Quote from: rayinreverse on March 12, 2012, 12:34:27 AM
there is a mexican restaurant here called Red Iguana. I dig their mole's quite a bit. But my ultimate mexican dish is cochanita pibil.
and I know its cliche because of that movie, but when its good, god damn it is almost worth murdering for.

Which movie? ???

Mertz, I am available for adoption ;)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mertz

Lumpy...that last dish I posted was from a restaurant...but I did cook the first pic (steak picado).

rayinreverse

Quote from: Lumpy on March 12, 2012, 01:37:56 AM
Quote from: rayinreverse on March 12, 2012, 12:34:27 AM

Which movie? ???

Mertz, I am available for adoption ;)

once upon a time in mexico. johnny depps character orders cochanita pibil at every restaurant and kills the chef if its good.
there is a cool video of robert rodriguez talking about pibil and how to make it that was some disc 2 type shit. it might be on youtube.
he equates not being able to cook to not being able to fuck. or something along those lines.

*edit
found it

RAGER

That's awesome at the end "Coming soon; Ten minute fucking school"
No Focus Pocus

DavidATX

I love being in Texas. Finding good Tex-Mex here is like finding a McDonalds in the burbs.  Finding interior Mexican is pretty damn easy too.

Favorite plates are:

Enchiladas Rojas
Carnitas (served with grilled onions and avocados)

Jötun

I'm partial to a nice pescado a la parilla. The place around the corner from me does it very well.

[soundcloud]http://snd.sc/NHCMKH[/soundcloud]