Main Menu

Bread!

Started by NCR600, March 18, 2012, 07:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

Trying to make a sourdough starter. Recipes call for about equal parts by weight water ad flour.

When I do that it's super thick dough. Not a soupy thing I would expect to bubble.  Any insight?  This is day one.  Future days call for more of the same ratio, which I wouldn't expect to turn into a soupy batter.
Vinyls.   deal.

khoomeizhi

yeah, adjust as necessary for the right texture. should be 'liquid and pourable yet thick enough to cling to a spoon' when starting from go.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Pissy

Thanks for the info!

Looks like it's working out. Day 3, and I fed it 10 minutes ago.  Starting to bubble already.

Vinyls.   deal.

Isabellacat

i been on a huge blueberry loafcake bread binge lately  :P

Jor el

Is that like a Pound Cake ?

What Would Scooby Do ?

Isabellacat

MadJohnShaft

I might get some bread going again - last time I got the no knead bread book and I was baking like crazy and ultimately that's how we found out Julia has Celiacs, cause she almost died, so I stopped baking.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Pissy

Does she really have celiacs? Or did she diagnose by internet?  Watch the Air episode of Cooked with Michael Polan free with your streaming Netflix subscription.

I realized that my starter was being fed at twice the ratio it should've. I'm really curious to see how it responds the the proper ratio now.  This is fun for me.

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Starter finally bloomed yesterday.  I let it sit for about 56 hours, then fed it again. 24 hours later... boom!
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

sleestak

Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Pissy

That was the most basic whit sourdough recipe I found. It worked pretty well.

Whole wheat boule today.  Two of them in fact.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-sourdough-bread-224367
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Fail. They didn't rise.  I messed up in the beginning and mixed my starter with municipal water, that I believe has chlorine.  The recipe said if I put the dough in the fridge to rise, it would do so overnight.  It did not.  This morning I put it in the oven with the light on, all day. Nothing. Dead.
Vinyls.   deal.

STONER HULK

STONER HULK LIVES

MadJohnShaft

You can mix yeast with tap water just fine, I'm a homebrewer so I have a pHd in yeast health.

Pissy

Yeah, it's only a theory. I have another batch going, and it may show I had no problems, and this bread simply doesn't rise in the same fashion as previous efforts.

I can smell the chlorine in my water though.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

2nd attempt.  It's pretty good. Sour for sure. Crust is chewy and has a ton of tasty character.

It's more dense than I imagined though, and overall seems wetter on the inside than I'd expect. having said that, I ate half of one loaf while the other was baking.  The overall timeline of this recipe is problematic for someone who works 8-5 for a living.
Vinyls.   deal.

MadJohnShaft

It looks fine - do you have a thermapen to test for doneness? 

Pissy

I do. I didn't check this though.
Vinyls.   deal.

MadJohnShaft

It looks like the center never got up to temp but the outside looks great - so you're too hot and too short.    Maybe too wet and not enough salt?

Pissy

Funny you should mention this.  Ive been home sick with a resp infection and trying to pass a kidney stone. Finished this about 45 minutes ago. Its near perfect.

http://anoregoncottage.com/easy-sourdough-artisan-bread/2/

Vinyls.   deal.

stooge

i totally miss this

too bad they discontinued it
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

black

Discontinued?
On Mars maybe.

https://www.wonderbread.com/
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

stooge

no store in detroit carries it anymore
i asked some staff why and they said it's discontinued and only available in canada
maybe they was bullshittin' me but fact is you can't get it here
i'll check meijers again as the website is listing them as the only ones who carry it but last time i went there they did not have it
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

neighbor664

Hostess made Wonder Bread, Twinkies and some other stuff. They went bankrupt a few years back. 2013? I think Kellogg's and a few regional companies picked up production and kept the name alive.