Main Menu

Bread!

Started by NCR600, March 18, 2012, 07:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCR600

Confession time, I was in a band that did a cover of Bread's "Freedom" when I was 15.

That was the last time I tried to make my own bread, but recently I've been having a crack at some sourdoughs, normally intentionally infecting the starter with some of whatever brewing yeast I've got going at the time.

Making your own bread should fall into the same category as making your own sushi, but given that I've got yeast starters going for the beer most of the time, and bulk grist left over from the brew, making some bread is pretty simple, and tastes good too. Dinner tonight was home made pea and ham soup, home made wholemeal sourdough, and home made beer. I must be turning into some sort of hippy.

Anyone else baking?

khoomeizhi

don't worry, ham doesn't sound very hippy.

i used to make a batch of two loaves every week, lots of extra whole grains, different flours, seeds, etc...but then we found out my wife is a glutard. my first several attempts at gluten-free bread were bad enough (read: flat) that i haven't tried again (it's been a few years)...she's been handling almost all of the household baking since then (except a stray cornbread here and there). i may try again at some point, but haven't gotten the nerve yet. i'm not gonna fuck with a mix, either - almost always too much bean flours = doesn't taste like bread.

i've got some of my old recipes around here somewhere. i was codifying some of them when some friends and i were thinking about starting a restaraunt....
let's dispense the unpleasantries

RAGER

Yep i bake bread too.

No Focus Pocus

BitterAndTwisted

I don't bake bread properly any more as I bought a bread-maker second-hand recently.  Best money I ever spent.  I'm having fun experimenting with different flours, seeds and whatnot.  It's totally brilliant even if it is a cheat
Fucking retards, taste my nuts while getting dunked on.

I,Galactus

I've got a bread machine that I don't use often enough.

I do, however, have a tardblog simple beer bread recipe that I busted out not too recently:

3 cups self rising flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
12 oz beer

mix / knead
grease bread pan (very important step that I've skipped when too stoned to function)
bake @ 350° for approx 1 hr

The lighter the beer, the better the consistency.  Darker beer bread tastes great but falls apart too easily for sandwich bread.  Still great with soups or just buttered on its own.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

BitterAndTwisted

No live yeast?  That makes it soda-bread.  I have some rather nice beer in the fridge so I might have a go at making that later.  Thanks for the recipe
Fucking retards, taste my nuts while getting dunked on.

rayinreverse

Me too. I attempted to make those loaves you get at the grocery store that call themselves 'french bread' sadly my wife isnt a huge crusty bread fan. so i made these. i did a pate fermente, but altered my normal baguette recipe to get more volume. less crusty as well.

Mr Neutron

ive made bread a few times, nothing fancy.
ive found it to be one of the most calming exercises, plus there's nothing better than breaking the heel off a fresh warm loaf, and just having at it.
"Where words fail, music speaks."

RAGER

Had a meeting with a local bakery and came away with some samples. 
Goldendale sliced sandwich loaf
Como sliced sandwich loaf
Brioche burger buns
Ciabatta buns
Baguettes, demi-baguettes, seeded baguettes

No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

Hearing about some of the nasty shit that ends up in mass produced bread (feathers and human hair, Wtf?)
I feel more motivated than ever to make my own regularly.
I have made very basic white bread when I was really broke and could  afford "staple" foods.
I have coworker who is a bit of a hobbyist. I s'pose it's something we can "bond" over.

RAGER

this is a different kind of bakery.  Much much higher standards and procedures.  they've got a few cafes too.  Everything locally sourced.  Nothing but snobby stuff you know. ;)
No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

Quote from: RAGER on March 29, 2012, 09:01:28 PM
Had a meeting with a local bakery and came away with some samples. 
Goldendale sliced sandwich loaf
Como sliced sandwich loaf
Brioche burger buns
Ciabatta buns
Baguettes, demi-baguettes, seeded baguettes

Nice haul!  I've been making killer turkey sandwiches w/ como loaf here lately.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

libertycaps

Baking Ezekiel Bread fresh at home is on the cooking agenda.
Gotta say it's the only bread i've ever craved after having.

mortlock

someone needs to hook me up with a good rye bread for a grilled shaved ham and cheese with butter..the english way..

libertycaps

Few things more satisfying that cooking/baking for yourself and being proud of the result.
I'm taking it slow but getting better all the time.

neighbor664

If I make a box of Larry The Cable Guy Beer Bread with good beer will I fuck it up?

I,Galactus

Quote from: neighbor664 on April 23, 2012, 10:25:42 PM
If I make a box of Larry The Cable Guy Beer Bread with good beer will I fuck it up?

Gguuhh... ya done fucked up when you paid $$$ for shit with Dan Whitney's face on it. 

Self rising flour is cheap, yo.

RAGER

Just plain making bread is easy and cheap.
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

Quote from: I,Galactus on April 23, 2012, 10:35:18 PM

Gguuhh... ya done fucked up when you paid $$$ for shit with Dan Whitney's face on it. 

Dollar store, dude. Only reason I bought it was because it was $1.

I,Galactus

Quote from: neighbor664 on April 23, 2012, 11:00:29 PM
Quote from: I,Galactus on April 23, 2012, 10:35:18 PM

Dollar store, dude. Only reason I bought it was because it was $1.

Fair enough.

Pissy

English toasting bread mini loaves for Xmas gifts for work people.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/english-muffin-toasting-bread-recipe

Vinyls.   deal.

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Isabellacat

I love Hostess white bread the best. Sooo yummy.

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

Bro. Righteous

Loves me some Bread, loafs or otherwise.

I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...