bitter

Yeah, I have 8 and that's pushing it.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

spookstrickland

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 21, 2012, 05:11:36 PM
Quote from: RacerX on March 21, 2012, 09:45:31 AM
OOH! It lights up purple!!   

::)

Are we sure that's not the Prince signature model?

My mate just sent me a message saying he just bought 16 pink Marshall 4x12s that were intended for some Amy Winehouse event that got cancelled for some reason. Be a good combo I reckon.

16? man what did he have to pay for them?
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

dunwichamps

Quote from: The Riffer on March 21, 2012, 08:16:33 PM
If I were looking for a new mega-amp, I'd take a look at these. That said, I'd never look for a new mega-amp.WAYYYYYY too many knobs for me.

you, a mega amp. if that happened, hell froze the fuck over

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: spookstrickland on March 21, 2012, 08:35:40 PM
Quote from: RacerX on March 21, 2012, 09:45:31 AM
OOH! It lights up purple!!   

::)

Are we sure that's not the Prince signature model?

My mate just sent me a message saying he just bought 16 pink Marshall 4x12s that were intended for some Amy Winehouse event that got cancelled for some reason. Be a good combo I reckon.

16? man what did he have to pay for them?

No idea, probably too much, he runs a practice space and gets over-enthused by stuff. He thinks he can sell to Amy Winehouse fans. Because obviously her fans have a desire to own massive guitar cabs.

Jake

That handsome devil has good taste in hot magenta British thunder.
poop.

mutantcolors

LOL "some reason"

She's fucking dead, perhaps?

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mawso

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 21, 2012, 09:32:13 AM
yawn.....

Show me a Supergroup.

His tone sounded GODLY when i saw Heaven and Hell with his last Laney signature amps in the backline - I wouldn't just dismiss it out of hand

dunwichamps

Quote from: mawso on March 22, 2012, 03:44:26 AM
yawn.....

Show me a Supergroup.

His tone sounded GODLY when i saw Heaven and Hell with his last Laney signature amps in the backline - I wouldn't just dismiss it out of hand

Did the last Dio/Sab album sound as good as Masters of Reality? Another thing to consider is that he could probably play any amp and it would sound good, cuz its Iommi.

But I really dismissing it because its probably a bunch of stacked pcbs with marginal components, nothing I could replicate using turrets and improved build quality and parts. I could be wrong, if someone with a new laney with tech experience could show me that they are well built then id retract that statement

I am going to approach it differently than the average user. For the sticker tag that I would pay on an all pcb signature amp I could build an amp with top of the line components, handwired. An old amp like the Supergroups or the Klipps can be teched easy, its all handwired, the iron was well designed, sockets on the chassis, ect ect.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Jake on March 21, 2012, 10:13:07 PM
That handsome devil has good taste in hot magenta British thunder.
Why do I have this pic btw? I think it's from rhe old board.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 21, 2012, 07:25:38 PM
'nother one

• I use my ears, rather than a badge, or an online opinion, when selecting gear (this one is worse than saying solid-state is OK

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 22, 2012, 09:20:09 AM
yawn.....

Show me a Supergroup.

Did the last Dio/Sab album sound as good as Masters of Reality? Another thing to consider is that he could probably play any amp and it would sound good, cuz its Iommi.

But I really dismissing it because its probably a bunch of stacked pcbs with marginal components, nothing I could replicate using turrets and improved build quality and parts. I could be wrong, if someone with a new laney with tech experience could show me that they are well built then id retract that statement

I am going to approach it differently than the average user. For the sticker tag that I would pay on an all pcb signature amp I could build an amp with top of the line components, handwired. An old amp like the Supergroups or the Klipps can be teched easy, its all handwired, the iron was well designed, sockets on the chassis, ect ect.

mawso

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 22, 2012, 09:20:09 AM
yawn.....

Show me a Supergroup.

I loved the last Dio/sab album.  Comparing it to Master of Reality is silly I think.  I mean it's a very different band playing some very different sorts of songs.  I don't the the MoR style production would have worked very well at all for songs like Rock And Roll Angel.

dunwichamps

i agree much different era but tone is tone. my point is i think the tone on MoR is much better than the latest Dio/Sab album, and thats why (amongst a few other reasons) id prefer a vintage laney supergroup over the latest iommi sig

Hemisaurus

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 22, 2012, 11:44:46 AM
i agree much different era but tone is tone. my point is i think the tone on MoR is much better than the latest Dio/Sab album, and thats why (amongst a few other reasons) id prefer a vintage laney supergroup over the latest iommi sig
Because there's no such thing as production, and idiots who like to scoop EQ?

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 22, 2012, 02:50:44 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on March 22, 2012, 11:44:46 AM
Because there's no such thing as production, and idiots who like to scoop EQ?

hmm?

Hemisaurus

Wow, you can't figure that statement out with all your school learning? Must be my accent ;)

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 22, 2012, 03:32:09 PM
Wow, you can't figure that statement out with all your school learning? Must be my accent ;)

I cant figure it out really, cant tell if your taking me to task or not. oh well. I am opinionated about the subject of amps, maybe i am being a dick.

The Riffer

IDK, I dig Iommi's modern tones. If this amp gets there, I'm down with it. Someone other than Tony will be able to make it sound good.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

dunwichamps

if someone likes it, then no worries. the new sound is a thing all of its own, has more gain than the old stuff but thats to be expected since the modern hi gain sound didnt exist back then. When I think Iommi I think the old sound, and thats why id go that way plus I GAS over old gear. I actually used to own the older Laney Iommi sig, single channel amp like 6 years ago or so, not a bad sounding amp but nothing that I thought was killer.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 22, 2012, 03:38:46 PM

I cant figure it out really, cant tell if your taking me to task or not. oh well. I am opinionated about the subject of amps, maybe i am being a dick.
Nah, just teasing you gently ;)

I'm surprised none of the Tape-Op brethren jumped in, basically I'm saying you can't rely on a studio recording to give an accurate comparison of amp sounds, the amp is only 3% (statistic courtesey Scott Solter) of the sound, there's mic selection, mic position, EQ, any studio FX added, mixing, mastering, overdubbing, recording medium, etc. Major label production taste has changed since the 70's, so even if Iommi was using the exact same rig, it might sound totally different on the studio recording BUT much the same live. Ya dig ;)

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on March 22, 2012, 08:01:37 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on March 22, 2012, 03:38:46 PM

Nah, just teasing you gently ;)

I'm surprised none of the Tape-Op brethren jumped in, basically I'm saying you can't rely on a studio recording to give an accurate comparison of amp sounds, the amp is only 3% (statistic courtesey Scott Solter) of the sound, there's mic selection, mic position, EQ, any studio FX added, mixing, mastering, overdubbing, recording medium, etc. Major label production taste has changed since the 70's, so even if Iommi was using the exact same rig, it might sound totally different on the studio recording BUT much the same live. Ya dig ;)

that point probably can be underscored enough. Sure that some of my love/GAS is that era sound and the Supergroup was just a part of it. I was being tough on the new sig amp for sure, but I wouldnt gloat over it just because he stuck his name on it. Im fairly biased so  take what I say with some salt, or tell me to go fuck haha

Hemisaurus

I have even weirder Sabbath tastes, so I keep my mind open ;D

RacerX

QuoteIm fairly biased so  take what I say with some salt, or tell me to go fuck haha

Are you biased hot or cold? Perhaps you're fixed bias.
Livin' The Life.

dunwichamps

Quote from: RacerX on March 22, 2012, 08:13:34 PM
QuoteIm fairly biased so  take what I say with some salt, or tell me to go fuck haha

Are you biased hot or cold? Perhaps you're fixed bias.

ba dum cha

snare drum and crash fall off roof

im usually 60-65% biased