Dunwich SuperFuzz Clone Board Buy In

Started by dunwichamps, March 29, 2012, 11:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mutantcolors

I thought if the knobs were mounted horizontally as such, yet facing the user (above the box not on front) it'd be foot adjustable on the fly.

dunwichamps

they called it Leeds on BYOC

should call it the Weeds

mutantcolors

bitter

FUPA Fuzz is also known as a happy trail  ;)
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

mutantcolors

knob parameters:

Juice (output)

Hair (gain)

This is pure genius.

Chovie D

Quote from: Lumpy on March 29, 2012, 04:55:08 PM
FUPER
-SUZZ

?

thats the second version (and a very cool enclosure for sure!)
I own the first version which looks like this

if yall need gut shots lemme know but Id imagine there are plenty on the net already.
Guys this is my favorite pedal ever made.
I love teh BYOC pedal too but its a bit different than the original.  abit more swoosh and less finesse to it.

dunwichamps

the byoc schematic looks like its the same as the original. Parts will change around and different type of parts will affect the sound

grimniggzy

Chovie D

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 29, 2012, 05:45:42 PM
the byoc schematic looks like its the same as the original. Parts will change around and different type of parts will affect the sound

yes no doubt. I imagine ther might be a wee bit of component drift too?

The BYOC is more aggressive, and blankets your guitars natural tone more severely than teh univox.
Id describe it as the difference betwen a really good fender tweed clone, and the real thing. The real thing just sounds a little more broken in and nuanced than the clone.

I think the byoc also has an internal triim pot, so adjusting that could account for the slight diff in tones as well I suppose. I had to set the trim pot when I built the pedal, and I dndt have the univox for comparison at that time..

clockwork green

I'd be in for someone building one for me.  One thing I'd say is that there should be a volume boost.  On my Wattson Fuzz the mid-scooping is so dramatic that it sounds like a volume drop even when it's a slight boost(I talked to the guy builidng them and got to try one of his vintage units...his are very accurate...so he built a separate clean boost in there to match volume levels). I'd maybe build one if someone could source all of the parts.  I don't have near the DIY spirit to do all of that. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

dunwichamps

adding a clean boost is pretty easy, any JFET or FET booster are simple like a SHO for some pretty heavy boosting.

I will add that into the pcb as an optional mod (hopefully)

bitter

slightly off topic: I find the jfet boost to be a little boxey. Like it's not refined as much in the eq dept. as other boosts???

dunwichamps

Quote from: bitter on March 29, 2012, 08:08:45 PM
slightly off topic: I find the jfet boost to be a little boxey. Like it's not refined as much in the eq dept. as other boosts???

jfet boosts tend to color the sound more from my experience while FET boosters can be made to be very colorless and transparent

bitter

Oh, the one I'm running is a hybrid GE/jfet. In the GE treble boost mode, I can achieve grit, treble boost, and bass cut (which I like). In the hybrid mode, I get less grit, less low-end roll off, and a boxey sounding boost that sounds like the input sensitivity is set too high. I guess that would be the coloring effect?

dunwichamps

Quote from: bitter on March 29, 2012, 08:17:00 PM
Oh, the one I'm running is a hybrid GE/jfet. In the GE treble boost mode, I can achieve grit, treble boost, and bass cut (which I like). In the hybrid mode, I get less grit, less low-end roll off, and a boxey sounding boost that sounds like the input sensitivity is set too high. I guess that would be the coloring effect?

could be overdriving it even with the guitar level signal

bitter

that might be it! Either way I don't use it to boost. The GE side is preferable.

dunwichamps

Quote from: bitter on March 29, 2012, 08:19:36 PM
that might be it! Either way I don't use it to boost. The GE side is preferable.

probably why a Super Hard On is a better boost here.

The Shocker

I'm in if Sunn will put mine together and I can pay with PayPal.

I like the Fupa Fuzz idea &

knob parameters:

Juice (output)

Hair (gain)

Are good.  But I am a pervert.

mutantcolors

Well I aint coming up with anything worth a shit that doesn't already effectively exist. It's like...buy the stock thing for $10 that we know works great, or actually have to do the labor. The crucifuzz makes me laugh though.

Still...FUPA FUZZ. Juice and Hair knobs. Brilliance.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

dont think a box like that will work well, need more space.

mutantcolors

think mxr box with arms, its not to scale or anything

funny thing about the pussy shaped FUPA box (besides I just got to type FUPA box) is there used to be huge cans of tuna made that shape. Jokes everywhere

grimniggzy

Volume

I'd be in, if someone would build it with the enclosure and everything. I built the Leeds Fuzz, but I guess I screwed up something because it's not working anymore and I haven't gotten around to even trying to fix it. So I'd rather pay someone else to put it all together. :)