what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

black aspirin

This Juan goes to 11.

mortlock

Mr Neutron

just finished John Dies At The End, which was incredibly silly, but enjoyable.

got this kindle thing loaded up with 500+ books, and I'm not sure where to go next. maybe re-read some Vonnegut, or a China Mieville book I haven't read yet.
i love having choices.

ended up reading ' talking to girls about duran duran' by Rob Sheffield, which was annoying.
"Where words fail, music speaks."

RAGER

Reading "An Object of Beauty" by Steve Martin.  First book I've read by Martin.  I like his writing style.  I imagine him narrating the story.  I'm a little more interested in paintings now that I'm reading this.  Especially Aivazovsky, Rockwell Kent, and Milton Avery.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I Just got that too - his really old book Cruel Shoes had tons of art in it too. I liked that.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Mr Neutron

just finished Reamde by Neal Stephenson.
Not nearly as dense as some of his more recent books. Decent, but not one of his best.

Haven't decided what to read next.....

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

black

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

diasdegalvan

Just recently finished The Hunger games which i enjoyed before that I read The Gendarme which I ended up thinking meh. It had a very disappointing ending and when it was in the present day it was boring. Right now I'm reading Let the Right One In.

RAGER

I am going back through and reading James Herriot's somewhat autobiographical tales of a Yorkshire veterinarian in the 1930's and on..

these are really excellent books especially if you are an animal lover.  I'm pointing to you Black....

Probaby the 4th time through reading these.  i just sit and chuckle the entire time while reading.
No Focus Pocus

diasdegalvan

Today I finished Let the Right One In. Liked it almost as much as the movie I think that's one of the few times I preferred a movie to a book but still the book was great. Movie adaptation was kind of faithful to the book one very important aspect was only hinted at in the movie (understandable) but in the book it's made very clear relating to Eli's gender probably why I prefer the movie.

Now I'm going to start The Gunslinger book 1 of the Dark Tower series.

Mr Neutron

just finished F Paul Wilson's The Tomb probably gonna read the next one in the series, now.
Light pointless fiction, easy fast reading.

diasdegalvan

Continuing with the Dark Tower series I very much enjoyed the first book so I'm now reading The Drawing of the Three.

BitterAndTwisted

Quote from: RAGER on March 01, 2012, 12:47:56 PM
I am going back through and reading James Herriot's somewhat autobiographical tales of a Yorkshire veterinarian in the 1930's and on..

these are really excellent books especially if you are an animal lover.  I'm pointing to you Black....

Probably the 4th time through reading these.  i just sit and chuckle the entire time while reading.

I've read them over and over as well.  They're extremely interesting about a way of life which disappeared a very long time ago as well being gently humourous.  What's the name of the knacker?  Can't remember now: but I can replay a vision in my mind of him sitting among a rotting pile of animal remains eating his lunch with filthy hands.

I am guilty of reading more than one book at a time if I have a pile of books in the reading-queue.  At the moment I am on "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" which I acquired a while ago but couldn't start it until I had volumes II and III lined up; an omnibus of Jeeves & Wooster plus the first omnibus of the Ellis Peters "Cadfael" novels, current one is "A Morbid Taste For Bones".  All bought second-hand.

I think that's enough to be getting on with for the moment; there's a stack waiting about two feet high.  So many books to read, so little time.
Fucking retards, taste my nuts while getting dunked on.

RAGER

^^ Jeff Mallock.  Also an expert at diagnosing the demise of animals in a brief glance.  Glad to know another fan of Mr. Herriot (Alf White).
No Focus Pocus

Danny G

First three Dark Tower books are in my opinion some of Steven King's finest work.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

tossom

"Before the poison" by Peter Robinson.
"Beige rock"

Beerjerk

Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

It's set in Moscow after a nuclear war, where survivors went underground into the subway system and formed communities. They have to survive against mutants, Neo-Nazis, warfare between different factions, etc. Played the game a few years ago and I really liked the setting and atmosphere and the book is very well-written and immersing. 

diasdegalvan

Quote from: Beerjerk on March 16, 2012, 12:42:21 AM

It's set in Moscow after a nuclear war, where survivors went underground into the subway system and formed communities. They have to survive against mutants, Neo-Nazis, warfare between different factions, etc. Played the game a few years ago and I really liked the setting and atmosphere and the book is very well-written and immersing. 

I got that book too because of the game yet to read it though. The sequel to the game is supposed to come out sometime this year
I think I read somewhere that it's not based on the book's sequel.

Beerjerk

Quote from: diasdegalvan on March 16, 2012, 02:31:26 AM
Quote from: Beerjerk on March 16, 2012, 12:42:21 AM

I got that book too because of the game yet to read it though. The sequel to the game is supposed to come out sometime this year
I think I read somewhere that it's not based on the book's sequel.

The game's events vary alot from the original story in the book. I heard Metro: Last Light isn't based on the book's sequel, but it's a whole different story written in collaboration with Glukhovsky and uses characters from the first story (including Artyom), but you play a new character.

diasdegalvan

Quote from: Beerjerk on March 17, 2012, 07:50:44 PM
The game's events vary alot from the original story in the book. I heard Metro: Last Light isn't based on the book's sequel, but it's a whole different story written in collaboration with Glukhovsky and uses characters from the first story (including Artyom), but you play a new character.

Yeah that's what I read too the trailer shows Artyom as the character didn't know about a new character. Supposed to have multiplayer as well don't really care for that.

Did you get the "good" ending. I beat the game twice the second time somewhat trying to get the good ending (giving ammo to poor not accepting reward for helping kid) but didn't manage to get it. Oh well if "if it's hostile you kill it."

Beerjerk

Quote from: diasdegalvan on March 18, 2012, 01:54:44 AM
Quote from: Beerjerk on March 17, 2012, 07:50:44 PM

Yeah that's what I read too the trailer shows Artyom as the character didn't know about a new character. Supposed to have multiplayer as well don't really care for that.

Did you get the "good" ending. I beat the game twice the second time somewhat trying to get the good ending (giving ammo to poor not accepting reward for helping kid) but didn't manage to get it. Oh well if "if it's hostile you kill it."

Yeah it seems that you will be playing Artyom again on this one, and the sequel picks up from the bad ending.

If you do all the good deeds and explore everything for additional karma, you still have to choose whether to kill the Dark Ones or spare them. At the end, instead of shooting the Dark One, shoot the missile guiding device instead. That will trigger the good ending.

Mr Neutron

just finished 'looking for jake'- by china mieville, and 'breakfast of champions' - by kurt vonnegut.

next up is 'city of saints and madmen' - by jeff vandermeer

I,Galactus

Quote from: Mr Neutron on March 20, 2012, 05:16:30 PM
'breakfast of champions' - by kurt vonnegut

This is my absolute favorite of his.  Sig'd

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

diasdegalvan

Finished The Drawing of the Three now starting The Children of Hurin by J.R.R. Tolkien

Enjoyed The Drawing of the Three not as much s The Gunslinger but still very good. I have a suspicion I'll like the third book more as now Roland has called up his two new companions.