what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Neutron

in the past 4 or 5 days Ive read The girl with the dragon tattoo (which was minorly interesting, and silly), and the girl who played with fire (which wasnt very interesting, and very silly) I suppose i'll read the final book in the series next. I expect it will be horrible, and tremendously silly.

Might grab the newest Neal Stephenson as well.
"Where words fail, music speaks."

lowdaddy

just finished:

barabbas - par lagerkvist
tremendous read.  serious fucking writing.

next up:

the gulag archipelago (volume 1) - alexander solzhenitsyn
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

peoplething

Just finished 'two towers', whew, that was an exercise in tedium.... until the last 25 pages.

why couldn't Tolkien right the rest of the trilogy at least with a hint of the writing he displayed in the battle with shelob? for all intensive purposes, that writing, the way he depicted the battle/emotion/intensity would stand up to today's fantasy stuff. it's brilliant.

but it was 25 pages out of, what 300 or so? oooph

onward to 'return of the king'
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

lowdaddy

"intents and purposes"

just trying to help out.

bbottom

Quote from: gritty_fingers on September 24, 2011, 11:46:45 PM
Manhunt - The 12 day chase for Abraham Lincoln's killer by James Swanson

Just finished reading that this morning. I give it a strong recommendation.

I just finished reading Manhunt as well. Great book

I,Galactus

Working on book three of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.  11 to go.   :-\
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

mortlock

ive been getting into a bunch of 'wire' magazine back issues that i picked up at a record show..

lowdaddy

europe central - william vollmann

Buena54

If there is a contemporary British historian who's the chronicler of World War II, it might be Maximum Hastings. In book following guide, he has zoomed within on individual movie theaters and arenas in the worldwide turmoil, that is constantly on the captivate experts as well as visitors a lot more than Sixty five years following it finally came to a close.

If you want to understand by pointing out Battle of Great britain or even the United Kingdom's Bomber Command or Winston Churchill's pivotal role in the war, Hastings' studies are the ones to go for. If you want a detailed accounts from the Normandy Invasion, there's his definitive "Overlord." How do the actual Partners finally conquer Germany as well as Japan? "Armageddon: The Fight for Indonesia, 1944-1945" and "Retribution: The actual Fight with regard to Japan, 1944-45" may every give you a comprehensive accounts of how these monumental feats were accomplished.

I,Galactus

Quote from: I,Galactus on November 22, 2011, 09:48:06 AM
Working on book three of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.  11 to go.   :-\

Finished book 8 last night.  Why must someone always be kidnapped?
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

black aspirin

Finished this a while back:

Now about 3/4ths done with this, which I've been planning on reading for years:

I'm back into books for 2012 after a fairly long hiatus. 
This Juan goes to 11.

RAGER

Just got done with The Book Of Skulls by Robert Silverberg.  Enjoyed it very much.
No Focus Pocus

chlorpromazine

I'm on a run of Cormack McCarthy as of late. I just finished Blood Meridian preceded by All The Pretty Horses. I started Suttree last night at work. I should have started reading this guy's books a long time ago.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

RAGER

Just started "The Chronology of Water" by Lidia Yuknavitch.  Highly recommended by Chuck Palahniuk
No Focus Pocus

diasdegalvan

A few chapters into The Gendarme by Mark T. Mustian. Liking it so far.

Metal and Beer

"In The Heart of The Sea", it's about a Nantucket whaleship that was battered and sunk by a sperm whale off the coast of Chile in 1820. Twenty crewmen drifted in three small whaleboats for almost three months before being rescued, most of them died and were eaten by the remaining few...
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

gatorsnot

Quote from: Metal and Beer on January 21, 2012, 09:26:35 PM
"In The Heart of The Sea", it's about a Nantucket whaleship that was battered and sunk by a sperm whale off the coast of Chile in 1820. Twenty crewmen drifted in three small whaleboats for almost three months before being rescued, most of them died and were eaten by the remaining few...

Funny, just finished this book last week.  Epic Doom.  Also a very cool period piece.

black aspirin

I've actually read it before, but wanted to re-visit it.  Pretty brilliant.  Almost done.

This Juan goes to 11.

The Shocker

Shifter and I are big fans of this book.

I'm reading Gone To Texas & The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales.

Sent from my fuckin phone using Tapatalk.

RAGER

Need to pick this up.  right now I'm reading "The girl with the dragon tattoo"  Kinda reads like a Harlen Coben thing.  meh.
No Focus Pocus

Dunedin

Nearly finished The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson ( the guy that did that Men who Stare at Goats thing) it's great, he interviews psychopaths, psychiatrists and CEO's of multinationals who reputedly score high on the psychopath test. Very interesting insight into approx 1 per cent of the population who's thought processes work in a completely alien way to the rest of us.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

GodShifter

Dunedin

Finished it last night, I'd recommend picking it up. It's thrown up a couple of other titles; "Without Conscience" and "Snakes in Suits" both by Dr. Robert Hare that go into the phenomenon in greater detail but still in lay mans terms. Hare is the man who developed the test in the title of ronsons book.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

Volume

Quote from: I,Galactus on December 05, 2011, 03:07:15 PM
Quote from: I,Galactus on November 22, 2011, 09:48:06 AM
Working on book three of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.  11 to go.   :-\

Killed book three on Friday.  Shit jus' got real.

I read maybe half of the novels in the late 90's early 00's (one few things I've read in Swedish and every novel is split in two so there are over twenty, heh). I actually just read the Mistborn trilogy as well as the latest book by Brandon Sanderson, the guy who helped finish Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan died. Decent fantasy, some fresh ideas. Now I'm reading Stonewielder by Ian Esslemont, it's a spinoff of Steven Erikson's Malazan series, 10 books of epic, gritty world building at 800-1100 pages each. 

I,Galactus

I'm in book 5 now.  Thus far I've only had to say "who the fuck is this again?" twice now.  That cast of characters / list of terms compendium at the back comes in handy.

Tolkien aside, I'm not very well versed in fantasy books at all.  I'm getting a little burned out and may have to take a break at some point, but I'm afraid that if I do I'll lose interest completely.