what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowdaddy

oil! - upton sinclair
the inspiration for the film there will be blood.  i gotta say the book only bears a very vague resemblance to the film.  very vague.  good book.  good film.  completely different stories.  i think paul thomas anderson read the book and then made up a completely different story based around some of the characters from the book.  whatever.  it's a compelling read.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

lowdaddy

tropic of capricorn - henry miller

i think miller has become my favorite writer.  i guess.  if i have a favorite.  when he's on fire there's nothing close.  when he's on fire there's more for me in one paragraph than there is in all the other books i've ever read put together.

SpaceTrucker

"Notes from the Underground and The Gamber" By Fydor Doechevsky.

Pretty good so far, I hate that I am so much like the Man from Underground. Speaking of the book I really need to get back to it.

Dejube

The Shocker

Michael Crichton's Next.  Not one of his better works.

frobbert

Just finished The Passage by Justin Cronin. Pretty good read, if you're into that The Stand/Swan Song kind of epic horror, only in this case the apocalypse is caused by a virus that turns people into a sort of vampires. Yes, the echoes of Matheson's I Am Legend are pretty loud. Not a bad read at all, and too well written to be pulp, but in the end it's not much more than an adventure story that would make a pretty good action movie. Compared to a truly devastating apocalypse story like Cormac McCarthy's The Road it doesn't do much.
bite me

SabbathJeff

I'm slowly reading A Clockwork Orange.  The full version.
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

lowdaddy

expelled from eden - a william t. vollmnann reader.

never read him before.  got a buddy who's a big fan and loaned me this as an introduction.  we'll see...

SLeePY GiaNT

reading some stuff out of Larry Niven's The Draco Tavern

It's kinda like alien bar stories..  like the mos eisley cantina type shit

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

black

^I know the feeling!^

I read a lot of mindless fiction for the escape factor and often take a lot of flak for it.
Oh well.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

lowdaddy

under the volcano - malcolm lowry

beer

1493, by, uhhh, Mann?

Sorry, brand new cat on my lap, so I can't go check.

giantchris

Just finishing book 3 of the dark tower series.  This is a really cool series I gotta say its really imaginative.  Its a little cheesy in parts but its so trippy it works. 

RAGER

Read em all years ago.  Killer series.

Just about finished with To Have and Have Not-Hemingway
No Focus Pocus

gritty_fingers

Manhunt - The 12 day chase for Abraham Lincoln's killer by James Swanson

Just finished reading that this morning. I give it a strong recommendation.
"Ginger People"

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

demon gal

Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Linqvist, the dude that wrote Let the Right One in. This one is about Zombies. I just started, so far so good.

lowdaddy

The Shocker

Quote from: demon gal on October 07, 2011, 09:22:06 PM
Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Linqvist, the dude that wrote Let the Right One in. This one is about Zombies. I just started, so far so good.

Good God I have to get that!

I'm reading Thinking In Pictures: My Life With Autisim by Temple Grandin.

demon gal

I have to warn you Deaner it's not a horror book per se,  it's more about how people deal with their loved ones coming back from the dead.

The Shocker

Quote from: demon gal on October 08, 2011, 12:25:58 PM
I have to warn you Deaner it's not a horror book per se,  it's more about how people deal with their loved ones coming back from the dead.

Still sounds interesting, thanks!

peoplething

lord of the rings. 2nd attempt

I dig the D&D type stuff, but only one time before gave lotr a shot... right after the movies. at the time I only got thru the first book. I thought it was terrible, and really couldn't understand how this foundation led the way for so much influence of the D20.

This time around I'm approaching it with a much more critical eye. I've realized that it's really, really dense. Just started Two Towers, and entire plot holes/points are mentioned and sorta explained or resolved in a sentence or two, albeit buried in a large chuck of brit speak.

Also, as far as battle sequences so far, there's squat.

But I think this time around I finally appreciate Tolkien as a 'world crafter' using med-evil europe as a model, rather than the typical sci-fi futuristic worlds of the day.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

The Shocker

I've read the first 2 books twice. The 3rd book zero times. I give up.