what are you reading?

Started by demon gal, December 07, 2010, 11:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yiyiyi

Gotta get hold of that Patti Smith book--thanks for posting, DG!

Came across Ethan Coen's (of the filmmaking Coen brothers) "Gates of Eden" this weekend, while checking out the thrift store for old wooden picture frames.  Looks good--link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-Eden-Ethan-Coen/dp/0385334389

Dejube

hmm interesting find yiyiyi ..let me know how that Ethan Coen book is? he's one of my favorite filmmakers.
Was going through a top 100 books you should read list and decided to start with ~The Shadow of the wind

lowdaddy

just finished milan kundera's identity.  i had never read him before and figured it was about time.  verdict - you can have it.  at least i gave him a shot.  i seldom read contemporary stuff and if this is the best the contemporaries have to offer i'm not missing much.  next up is a collection of stories by carson mccullers.  that ought to wash the bad taste out of my mouth just fine.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

lowdaddy

we're not getting much action over here in the books forum, are we?  just finished no country for old men.  i gotta say that's one helluva read.  i've seen the movie 3 or 4 times and it has become one of my faves.  the book is every bit as good.  it's a rarity for me to have seen the movie before reading the book.  didn't spoil it at all.  it was a compulsive page turner that i finished in a couple of days.  it's interesting to see what the coen's chose to leave out.  i think they did a stellar job adapting it for the screen.  they hardly changed anything.  just a few lines here and there.  they left out a good bit but they changed very little.  it's a damn good book though.  i enjoyed the fuller character development.  especially moss there toward the end.  he said some scary shit.  muddies the water a little bit.  highly recommended. 

i'm starting genet's a thief's journal now.  total shift of style from mccarthy.
jon eats a whole raw potato to take himself out of the mood.

mortlock

demon gal

I just bought There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales by Ludmilla Petrushevskaya.

diasdegalvan

Ya Basta! 10 years of the Zapatista Uprising. Still reading through the introduction. Has writings by Subcomandante Marcos.

peoplething

Life - Keith Richards

has anyone finished this yet? It's taking me a while. I find I have to be in the mood for it, alot of it is written kinda the way he talks in interviews, great stories but can be disjointed and scattered.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

GodShifter

The Real Frank Zappa Book - very, very slowly.

black

Life - Keith Richards has anyone finished this yet? ...

Got it for Xmas and finished it in about a week. I was actually surprised at his lucidity and thought it was a fairly easy read. But then I'm kind of a dork for musician bios. Just started the Ozzy one last night. Like Keith's book, I'm pleasantly surprised at how articulate it/he is. (unlike the Steven Adler bio. it was weak and only took me a day and a half to slog through)
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

L. Ron

Just finished the John Joseph autobiography "Evolution Of A Cro-Magnon".  That guy has been through some insane shit in his life.  Just started the Mike Edison book, "I Have Fun Everywhere I go", so far, so good.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

The Shocker

Quote from: black on March 01, 2011, 02:26:23 PM
Life - Keith Richards has anyone finished this yet? ...

Got it for Xmas and finished it in about a week. I was actually surprised at his lucidity and thought it was a fairly easy read. But then I'm kind of a dork for musician bios. Just started the Ozzy one last night. Like Keith's book, I'm pleasantly surprised at how articulate it/he is. (unlike the Steven Adler bio. it was weak and only took me a day and a half to slog through)

Was really disappointed by the Ozzy book, but that's on me since he's been disappointing me for years now.

black

Now that I finished it, I understand what you mean,deaner33 (about both the book and the man of late). It did rapidly descend into him whining about rehab and never really dished anything that wasn't already known.

peoplething

hey black, I saw your post and did some thinking about the musician bios I've read. Slash, Ron wood, Grace Slick and now Keith Richards. And I have come to a conclusion.

you are correct.

I just can't get into these things. The reviews of those bio's were mostly positive, yet it took me forever to grudgingly finish the damn things.

I guess it's back to D&D crap for me. 

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

The Shocker

Quote from: black on March 07, 2011, 05:49:47 PM
Now that I finished it, I understand what you mean,deaner33 (about both the book and the man of late). It did rapidly descend into him whining about rehab and never really dished anything that wasn't already known.

And NO insight into his music.  Which really isn't surprising if you think about it.

black

Indeed. I guess I was hoping for more 'behind the scenes' kind of stuff--be it gossip or more insight to recording and touring. Instead the last third of his book seemed to focus on being a clueless crybaby and repeated stories of shitting himself.

peoplething--I too get hyped by the reviews on these bios and yeah, more times than not, disappointment-ville.

I guess it's back to D&D crap for me.

Haha!

grimniggzy

grimniggzy

All 3 books are kinda in the same vein so I can keep cycling through and not be totally lost when I come back to them.

The Shocker

I read Say You Love Satan, but I have no memory of it at all.  How is the Ramirez book?

grimniggzy

Quote from: deaner33 on March 15, 2011, 04:22:02 PM
I read Say You Love Satan, but I have no memory of it at all.  How is the Ramirez book?

Eh, I don't know what I was expecting, its a little Biography Channel, honestly. But I just started it, hopefully it gets a little better and delves a little deeper.

I'm hoping some badass biker stories come up too, I'm in the early days right now.

This is my 2nd time on Say You Love Satan, I really liked it even though its kinda cheesy as hell.

grimniggzy

I originally bought it because of this...

Acid King
The band's name was inspired by the book Say You Love Satan by David St. Claire. It is based on the crimes of Ricky Kasso (nicknamed 'The Acid King') who committed a murder in Northport, New York during 1984.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_King

demon gal

I read Say You Love Satan, but I have no memory of it at all.  How is the Ramirez book?

I gave that book to Lori S. before she moved to San Francisco from Chicago and yes it is where the name came from. She called me and said you know that book you gave me? I'm gonna name my band Acid King. I thought it was a groovy name. (My little claim to stonerrock fame).

grimniggzy

Quote from: demon gal on March 16, 2011, 05:49:49 PM
I read Say You Love Satan, but I have no memory of it at all.  How is the Ramirez book?

I gave that book to Lori S. before she moved to San Francisco from Chicago and yes it is where the name came from. She called me and said you know that book you gave me? I'm gonna name my band Acid King. I thought it was a groovy name. (My little claim to stonerrock fame).

haha, thats great

giantchris

I just finished Patrick Rothfuss Wise Man's Fear which was pretty good.

I also read Electric Don Quixote: The Definitive Story of Frank Zappa which was really interesting.  Man led an interesting life and did a lot of weird shit.  He also had some interesting views on stuff.  In parts he kinda came out like a jerk though but you get a real picture of what the man himself is like.

diasdegalvan

Guerillas: Journeys in the Insurgent World by Jon Lee Anderson