Basically my first time in a Guitar Center

Started by RAGER, September 09, 2012, 02:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

So 3 days ago I find out there's a guitar center approx 10 minutes from my house.  i was incredulous at how i didn't know about this.  I've been under a rock for a while but come on.  then I found that it's only been open a couple months.  I found all this out because i was looking online for a new strap for my new Lester.  so i drive over there and while I'm driving I think to myself;  I could probably get a job there for some discounts or something fi I wanted.  I know my shit.  I'm a pretty proficient player.  Then I walk into the place and my first interaction was "if I had to work with the dude who greeted me. I'd kill him"  And then the music playing in the overheads hits me and my toes start to curl.  i buck up and walk all the way in and kinda peruse the shiny glittery things and I notice someone at the register with dark hair up in kind of a loose bun.  thin, white blouse.  Ok ass.  The head turns and there's the scruffy beard.  Fuckn shit!  A dude!  goddammit! (not that there's anything wrong with that)  so he walks over doing some finger exercises to show me that he's a wizard guitar player or some shit.  so I order the strap I want and leave.  Gotta go back on Monday to pick it up.

You wonder how living in the Portland Metro area how I could never really set foot into a Guitar Center.  well I rarely buy anything new and my buddy owns a music gear only pawn shop.  the only one like it around.  So that's usually where I buy my gear.  that or CL.

/guitarcenterblog
No Focus Pocus

bitter

Yeah it's rough. I find it to be a shameful process not unlike entering an adult bookstore.  :-[

But my favorite description of GC was offer by the diddler when he complained that the bus route was too close causing the place to be swarmed by junior high kids  :D
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

bbottom

I stopped in GC today after work because I wanted to try the Gibson SG bass that was there.

As soon as I walk in I hear some dude slapping and popping the shit out of a bass. I have never been a fan of slap pop shit so right away I was annoyed. Not to mention that he was playing loud as fuck.

So I tried the Gibby out, decided that I dug it, and left.

GC is good for trying stuff out, but unless I got a really really good deal on something, I would never buy an instrument there. The people that go in there and just beat the shit out of the stuff with little regard. And the employees could give less than a shit because they are making slave wages. And most of them are douche bags.

VOLVO)))

Minimum wage + commission (rarely), It's total garbage pay.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Instant Dan

Jake

I just ordered a bass rig online which I had to pick up at Guitar Center, unfortunately. While I was there, I also picked up some AIDS.
poop.

Demon Lung

You can get good deals on used shit online from them

Lumpy

Sign in GC Keyboard Dept: "If you play "Jump" you will be ejected from the store immediately" :D
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mr. Foxen

Remember, stores closing down is your fault for not shopping there, not the stores fault because fuck shopping in that place full of cunts.

Jake

Well, that
+ the internet
+ manufacturer exclusivity contracts
+ Obama ruined everything!
poop.

everdrone

guitar center and musisiansfriend 15% off sales USED to be great!  now they have like every name brand excluded from the sale. 

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Lumpy on September 09, 2012, 05:20:27 PM
Sign in GC Keyboard Dept: "If you play "Jump" you will be ejected from the store immediately" :D

We put "No Stairway" on the Marquee.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Quote from: Instant Dan on September 09, 2012, 04:22:20 PM
Details on the strap, good sir.
It's a mono cases gs1. Looks comfy and able stand up to a 12 lb Les Paul. The
Main strap I use on all my number 1's is the same one I've had for 20 some odd years
No Focus Pocus

bbottom

Quote from: everdrone on September 09, 2012, 07:18:05 PM
guitar center and musisiansfriend 15% off sales USED to be great!  now they have like every name brand excluded from the sale. 

They tried pulling that shit on me. About a month or so ago they were running a special where they would give you a "better" deal when trading in any used gear.

So I had a bass wah that I never used and I wanted to pick up an Xotic ep boost (which is a fantastic pedal by the way)

I told them that I wanted $50 for the wah which would go towards the Xotic EP. Dude was cool with it. So after about 10-15 minutes of standing at the counter waiting to pay the remaining balance he, and at this point, the manager told me that they couldn't do it because this deal that they were running didn't cover that brand.

So I basically raised a little hell and ended up getting about $45 for the wah plus 3 patch cables and a 30 ft instrument cable.

So like I said, guitar center is good to try stuff out at. But unless you are willing to give the people there some shit, you're not going to get any kind of a deal.

I,Galactus

Quote from: Demon Lung on September 09, 2012, 04:54:07 PM
You can get good deals on used shit online from them

Truth.  I got a $1200 Larivee parlor for $600 + shipping.

Also, their print ads show deals that don't show up online.  I once walked out of my local GC with $100 worth of free strings because I bought two $30 instrument cables.  Employees hadn't even heard of the promotion until I showed them the ad.

Quote from: RAGER on September 09, 2012, 08:18:49 PMIt's a mono cases gs1.

I did that mono schtuff.  Nice moves.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Dave J

I just purchased a used 1959 Reissue Marshall Plexi with a Splawn Mod at GC, purple color.  I won't say the price, because I probably over paid, but it was a massive sounding amp and I could not resist.

I probably drop in GC 2 or 3 times in a year.  The one by my house does have some decent used stuff every once and a while, and i bought a guitar stand before.  I just close my ears to the noise playing around me.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

bass sic

I have one about four blocks from my house, but I only stop in to buy strings/cables. I do need to pop in this week and check out used cabs.

Metal and Beer

Repugnant business practices aside (and if you're a stinkin' pinko like me, they'll turn your guts) I stop in once in a purple rain to check out gear. Having said that, I haven't been in our local in a few years...

The swoophairs playing 13 string guits don't bother me, tune it right out...
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

mortlock

guitar center is the sears of music stores..

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

johnny problem

Guitar center doesn't exist here.  Life is beautiful with the mom and pop shops. ;D

bass sic

Nice. I wish we still had some here. The ones that are left don't carry shitte.

bass sic

My only other option for buying gear is getting ripped off on evilbay, or grabbing deaners sloppy seconds.

RAGER

Quote from: Dave J on September 09, 2012, 09:02:14 PM
I just purchased a used 1959 Reissue Marshall Plexi with a Splawn Mod at GC, purple color.  I won't say the price, because I probably over paid, but it was a massive sounding amp and I could not resist.

I probably drop in GC 2 or 3 times in a year.  The one by my house does have some decent used stuff every once and a while, and i bought a guitar stand before.  I just close my ears to the noise playing around me.

I know what you mean cuz i own a '69 Super Bass but my next 100 watter will probably be a Hovercraft or Dunwich
No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

Evil and although they always have a good selection of guitars there are seemingly no good amps set up to plug them into, just cheap combos which make the guitars all sound cheap. Bizarre. The employees at the Madison store are all very nice though which is cool.