Main Menu

Recommend me a bass.

Started by spookstrickland, May 16, 2013, 04:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

I'm looking to pick up a basic 4 string bass. I'm looking for something older made in USA or Japan but affordable like Peavey.  Something built like a tank and hard to go wrong with.

Specific Models and Years would be great.

Thanks
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Pissy

Peavey T-40. Heavy as a mutha but pretty solid. They used to be 3-400 bucks. Made in Meridian MS USA. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Lumpy

Can you spend 250 (maybe up to 300) dollars? Then look for a used MIM (made in Mexico) Fender Precision or Jazz bass from the last 10 years or so. The Fender plant in Mexico supposedly worked out all their production kinks, and is making great instruments now.

For less money, a recent Squier Classic Vibe or Squier Vintage Modified bass would be good (those are about 275 new, so hopefully under 200 used). Some of them are short scale so be aware (I prefer long scale I guess). I would go with a Precision... super simple - one volume knob, one tone knob (which cuts treble). Or a Jazz. But I prefer Precisions.

Oh shit, I see the Classic Vibe basses are 379 new. Still, these are nice basses. I have a friend (friend of a friend) who works for Sadowsky (fancy bass builder) and his gigging bass is one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-classic-vibe-precision-50s-bass-guitar
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Chovie D

Peavey weighs a ton, but sounds great.
any fender P-Bass, even squires
Grabber/Ripper
Early G and L's (no notch on headstock)

do NOT get a short scale( Musicmaster, Mustang, some gibson sg bass models)

Pissy

I really like those old G&L's as well. Like the L1000 with a smoothed headstock. But they're routinely $1000 asking price.
Vinyls.   deal.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Chovie D on May 16, 2013, 04:38:19 PM
Peavey weighs a ton, but sounds great.
any fender P-Bass, even squires
Grabber/Ripper
Early G and L's (no notch on headstock)

do NOT get a short scale( Musicmaster, Mustang, some gibson sg bass models)

Why no short scale?

oh and I should have said before I'm on about a 200 to 300 budget.

thanks
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Lumpy

Used Fender or used Squier. Look at Craigs List. If you see a used one post a link here.

I can tell you "buy a used Rumbler" but if there are no used Rumblers to be found, that doesn't help. Look on Craigs List and you can start narrowing it down to basses that are available to buy.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Pissy

Short scales aren't my thing either. Like mopeds and fat chicks -fun to ride until your friends see you on one.

If your looking into a US or Japanese model, go with peavey. Or look into the mexican stuff. Not going to find anything made in the US or Jap close to $300.
Vinyls.   deal.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Lumpy on May 16, 2013, 05:14:15 PM
Used Fender or used Squier. Look at Craigs List. If you see a used one post a link here.

I can tell you "buy a used Rumbler" but if there are no used Rumblers to be found, that doesn't help. Look on Craigs List and you can start narrowing it down to basses that are available to buy.

Well Craigslist really sucks out here on the Coast of Washington, so that's why I'm looking for "Bullet Proof" recommendations because I'll most likely be mail ordering something from Guitar Center's used gear or maybe Ebay.

Thanks
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

neighbor664

Get a Fender  P Bass from American Musical Supply. If it may be a little out of your budget they do have a payment plan.

Chovie D

Quote from: spookstrickland on May 16, 2013, 05:23:02 PM

Well Craigslist really sucks out here on the Coast of Washington, so that's why I'm looking for "Bullet Proof" recommendations because I'll most likely be mail ordering something from Guitar Center's used gear or maybe Ebay.

Thanks

you are close to Portland which is a great city for used musical instruments.
pawn shops are your friend too.

for 2-300 Id buy a brand squire p-bass or mexi Fender and call it  a day.
or if you insist on vintage find that peavy, they go for about that.

short scale basses can be fun, but they just dont have the bottom end oompf of the full scale jammies.
I have a 70's fender musicmaster 9short scale)and while its a fine bass, it never gets used on recordings.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Chovie D on May 16, 2013, 06:14:52 PM
Quote from: spookstrickland on May 16, 2013, 05:23:02 PM

Thanks

you are close to Portland which is a great city for used musical instruments.
pawn shops are your friend too.

for 2-300 Id buy a brand squire p-bass or mexi Fender and call it  a day.
or if you insist on vintage find that peavy, they go for about that.

short scale basses can be fun, but they just dont have the bottom end oompf of the full scale jammies.
I have a 70's fender musicmaster 9short scale)and while its a fine bass, it never gets used on recordings.

Well, I got a trip to portland comming up, I'll see what I can dig up.

thanks guys

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Mr. Foxen

Find somewhere with a rack of a couple of dozen Fender style basses. Play and listen to each one unplugged, grab the best sounding one acoustically, trick it out with nice hardware, and a setup. Done forever that way. Otherwise you are at the mercy of inconsistency of wood, which brand naming can't help with. The Fender style bit is because that way most hardware will fit.

everdrone

go with a rick 4003 jetglo like me and SLEEP

they look the best!! 

dogfood

Please forgive me Peavey Worshipers...

T-xx basses and guitars, I hate'm.  Hated them when they were new, hate look'n at them now.  So many guitfiddles out there that are players and don't look like retards drew their shape with crayons. 

I have a MIM Jazz that needs all the electronics replaced.  Which I look forward to fixing.  Other than that, I suppose a fancy new nut would be neato the bass plays pretty darn well.
Problem solving whiskey!

fallen

I have a Peavey. Sounds good. Still solid after a lot of years. Plays fine.

If I didn't want to hunt around I'd just get a Mexican Fender. Easy to find for cheap.

I think a 3/4 scale bass sounds fine.

clockwork green

The first thing you should look for is a bass with all of the notes. You don't want one of those cheapies that's miss all the good notes like E and A.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

jibberish

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on May 16, 2013, 09:23:39 PM
Find somewhere with a rack of a couple of dozen Fender style basses. Play and listen to each one unplugged, grab the best sounding one acoustically, trick it out with nice hardware, and a setup. Done forever that way. Otherwise you are at the mercy of inconsistency of wood, which brand naming can't help with. The Fender style bit is because that way most hardware will fit.

this^

there is always a player amidst 10 cheapos. I tested that theory over and over when GC had the big wall.   pull down enough of the same model and one will blow you away eventually.

my $185 agile fender style bass is really nice too..........

Mr. Foxen

When I bought my first new bass, instead of the knackered one I was given, I called a guy who had just taken delivery of two dozen Johnson cheapy P basses, ugly headstock by proper wood, told him to send me the loudest one unplugged. Even though I've done the same thing with basses I do with amps and turn over loads keeping what I like, it is still my main bass, kind of a Trigger's Broom though, only the body, neck and some tuners are original.

Metal and Beer

+1 for playing one unplugged for a while (which admittedly might be pretty tough w/ a bunch o' distracting noise in whatever-shop-you're-in). If you get a Squire-level bass that punches true and clean (many don't for whatever reasons...bad setup, shitwood, etc.) then add a p/u upgrade as nec. and you'll be bulldozing within yo' budget
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

James1214

Another thing to keep in mind is that many used basses, even at big box stores, have old strings on them and may not be set up properly. Those two things can have a huge effect on tone, punch and sustain. But I agree 100% about trying them unplugged to determine the characteristics of the instrument while disregarding the potentially shitty electronics.
words

giantchris

http://www.mtdkingston.com/

^^^
I feel like MTD basses are very under valued on the used market I got my Kingston KZ4 for $330 it was in 9/10 condition and new they run around $1200.  You can usually get one from Music Go Round or Guitar Center's used section for somewhere around $250-$400 very nice basses. 

Ayek

I got a new cheap as cheap Chinese Squire Affinity P-bass a little while back. I wasn't able to try it first because the shop shipped it in, but I lucked out and it actually plays and sounds alright. Better than I expected.

HansVanRock