Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Where's my kilt fuzz?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Hemisaurus

Sorry never got round to tracing it out, you want a gutshot instead?

Oh yeah, that was the problem, I put mounting tape on the back of the PCB couldn't see what I'd done :-[

Bugger.

Hemisaurus

;D

RacerX

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Emperor's New Fuzz?
Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

My all generic killer fuzz, generic as in you can get every part from the local rat shack (I think). Sunn is turreting it up, look for it soon from HemiSunn enterprises ;D

Ayek

Quote from: RacerX on March 16, 2012, 05:22:12 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Emperor's New Fuzz?

I can, er, see it. Honest.

grimniggzy

Yo guys, whassup with the SX Guitars on Rondo's site?
If I bought \/ this \/ would I have to replace everything?
http://www.rondomusic.com/callistojrnat.html

Any other suggestions? I'm trying to do this guitar shit on the cheap considering how much $$$ I spent on bass gear in the past.

The Shocker

I had a SX once.  The main issue was the tuners sucked - not smooth at all.  Other than that it was ok.

Hemisaurus

buy it, play it, decide, any opinion on here is probably made by an asshole ;)

VOLVO)))

My Peavey vibrated a tube out of it's socket. I didnt notice a difference in tone. Hahahaha. Anyways. New sockets or a proper retensioning?

How does that happen?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Enough panel resonance in the cab to vibrate the head that much says there is a problem with the cab. Is there a spring retainer or screening can missing?

VOLVO)))

Beats me, Oli. The retainers are weak, and the sockets have little/no grab left in 'em. Should I get some of those fancy tube retainers?

Or just put new sockets in?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

http://swartamps.com/tech/socket_retention/

Damn iPad lost my first reply >:(

It's up to you, you should be retensioning the socket, when you give the amp a service, but replacing the socket will have the same effect.

Fancy tube retainer, do you mean a can? Is it a preamp tube? Either way it's not unheard of to shake a tube loose, but I'd retension or replace all the sockets, not just the one. I've never replaced a socket for lack of tension personally, only when someone has mangled the pin holders or the socket has arc'd.

VOLVO)))

I did retension when I first got it. I think they're just shot. I'll do it again, just as a final straw thing, and if they're too lose... I'll just replace 'em.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Ya still didn't say which tube :)

Amps that hang the tubes upside down, you are better having some kind of retainer (obvious). Metal cans are there to screen preamp tubes, and dampen microphonics, as well as providing physical support. Bear claws on power tubes, don't survive well on the whole, you can look at fitting spring retainers if needs be.

VOLVO)))

Power tubes, sorrY. Hanging upside down tubes.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Yeah, then I'd probably want to have some kind of physical retainer, either some new and snug gripping bear claws, or a spring retainer, I wouldn't just rely on the gripping tension of the pins :-[

Gratuitous pic to demonstrate spring retainers follows ;)

mortlock

what does it mean when i turn my amp on and all i get is a loud hum..nothing works..did i fry the shit out of it at a recent gig like i think i may have??

Hemisaurus

Could be. What kind of amp, what kind of hum, did you check the outlet it's plugged into and the cables it's connected with?

mortlock

its a peavey bandit and i just tried to run 2 synths at once at extreme volume at my last show..i think i popped it about 6 seconds in..

Hemisaurus

Well, if you've got hum, then you didn't blow the speaker, unless the transformer is humming.

Have you tried all the inputs, including the FX return? Do you hear noises when turning the knobs? Any signs of life?

mortlock

i tried all inputs..no sounds at all except the loud hum. nothing seems to work..no knobs, no switches..

Hemisaurus

So it makes exactly the same hum, same volume, same tone, no matter what knobs you turn or buttons you press?