Call for support

Started by RAGER, June 08, 2013, 08:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

Quote from: Sparkle Motion on July 14, 2013, 02:46:57 PM
Give me your best Bloody Mary recipe.

Not really much of a fan of Bloody Marys.  You should talk to Pissy.  But here's what I would do if my wife wanted one:

Fill a highball glass with ice
1.5 to 2 Oz vodka
Fill to almost top with Zing Zang Bloody Mary mix
4 dashes of Bitter Truth celery bitters
Garnish with pickled okra, pickled green beans, and/or pickled carrots

Enjoy your early Sunday buzz...

ZingZang and vodka all by itself makes a great Bloody Mary. Sparkle informed me a few weeks ago that Lee and Perins makes ZinZang- as such its really meaty with worchestershire.

But I like the following when I can get it:

Worchestershire
Celery salt
Black pepper
JalapeƱo pickle juice (about a tablespoon)
Horseradish
A few drops of Franks
Add vodka over all this
Homemade tomato juice is best.

Sometimes a dash of beer.

This is what I do when I get the chance. If I had some fresh shucked oysters, I'd be tempted to dump one in.
Vinyls.   deal.

Sparkle Motion

I like that it has the texture of salmon but a lighter flavor. The FDA took it off the market years ago because it's so oily. It can give you not very good poops sometimes.
"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."

black aspirin

Quote from: Pissy on July 14, 2013, 05:09:50 PM
ZingZang and vodka all by itself makes a great Bloody Mary. Sparkle informed me a few weeks ago that Lee and Perins makes ZinZang- as such its really meaty with worchestershire.

Yep.  That's the only mix I use.

I've used most of the ingredients you mentioned.  At one point, I got so carried away with adding ingredients that they started turning shitty.  Now, I try to keep it simpler...something like Zing Zang, chipotle Tabasco sauce, maybe some Sriracha (not much), and perhaps a bit of Liquid Smoke.

Also, have you tried this?  Bacon infused vodka, commercially produced.  Good shit.

This Juan goes to 11.

Sparkle Motion

Oyster juice = umami.  Worchestershire too. I think that umami is the ultimate appeal of Bloody Mary's.
"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."

Pissy

I haven't had the bacon vodka, but I'd be down for trying it. I likely would not buy a bottle, but it seems intriguing.

Just say yes to umami.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Clam juice or oyster juice is a must for bloodies as well as fresh horse radish.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

I, for the record, am very skeptical of bacon flavored vodka.

Sparkle Motion

I made some bacon infused bourbon not long ago.  It's great in old fashioneds.

black aspirin

Quote from: mortlock on July 16, 2013, 12:41:51 AM

As to whether it makes a good Bloody Mary?
This Juan goes to 11.

Sparkle Motion

OK Lumpy, I've finally got a chance to get back to you. You can marinade chicken (or any kind of meat for that matter) in a vinaigrette.  The basic ratio is 1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil. You can use just about any vinegar and just about any kind of oil.

1/4 cup vinegar
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt & Pepper

Once you are comfortable you can add extra ingredients.  Here are some suggestions:

1 tablespoon Mustard - I like dijon or whole grain.
1 tablespoon Honey
1 Tablespoon Ketchup
Diced tomato
Fresh Herbs - I like cilatro, thyme, basil and tarragon but not necessarily together.

You can add anything you like really.

Marinade your meat over night and grill on a medium/hot fire.  Make sure you have a cool spot in case you have flair ups from the oil.  If you are adding honey there is also potential for burning.

mortlock

Quote from: black aspirin on July 16, 2013, 09:26:38 AM
Quote from: mortlock on July 16, 2013, 12:41:51 AM

As to whether it makes a good Bloody Mary?
it might actually work in a bloody mary, but if I really wanted bacon in a bloody mary id put a piece of bacon in one.