Holiday recipes

Started by renfield, November 12, 2018, 09:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

not doing shit. my lovely assistant is sick, not covid but whatever is going around. she caught it from her grandkids. somehow ive managed to dodge it so far.
we are going to throw down a small chuck roast, carrots potatoes garlic and celery. a chunk of crusty bread and a few beers. maybe ill shoot an episode.

RAGER

Picked up an 11 lb bone in prime rib this morning. Gonna salt dry brine for a few days until Xmas eve at Uncle Jim's. Bought a cheapo 2 probe thing. That along with my Thermoworks and Kenjies method should result it perfection. Not gonna bother with jus. I'll bring some horseradish.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

dyang. That's the ticket.

RAGER

Salted and drying in the fridge until Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

experimenting <some word> with a Prime Rib is bold, adventurous and, demonstrates confidence in the kitchen.

RAGER

Nothing experimental really. Pretty standard O.P.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I'm just nervous for when I source a Prime roast and cook it. Now that I think of it, I'll have to get a decent carving knife, maybe even an electric!

Anyway, that's a magnificient main dish you're bringing to the dinner.

mortlock

we are having ny strips for christmas. i was trying to talk her into doing steak and spaghetti but shes not having it. probably going to have to go the more traditional (and boring) route with potatoes and a veg.

mortlock

on second thought, i may do it anyways and make her the sides she wants. how much you want to bet if i do that, shes going to want the spaghetti when she sees it as an option sitting there next to some stupid potatoes and veg?

Muffin Man

maybe I'll do that. Spaghetti and a cab blend. Split-up the day with that and later a boneless pork chop.

James1214

We're doing a pretty basic meal as the local Chinese place is all full for reservations, I fucked up and waited until Monday to call, and they were booked. So I've got a hen that I took, and cleaned and brined. And will roast it simply with some taters and veggies. It should be great.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

words

Muffin Man

Ah! James! I'll do an almond fried chicken. (with spaghetti) So glad you mention that.

edit. was going to mention a second chicken dish, sweet & sour style. hmm, maybe.

Pissy

Oyster Stew was my lunch yesterday, and probably today.   

Pour a jar of shucked oysters in a pot with the liquid.  Medium heat til the edges of the oysters curl.  Add about as much half and half as you want, but basically 1.5 times the volume of the initial oysters.  Same medium heat with about 3tbs butter, s&p to taste up to a steam, not quite a boil.  Enjoy with oyster crackers. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Almond chicken and gravy, w/ spaghetti creamy garlic in festive colors w/a 90 points cab blend. mmm, bon appétite.
ps for authenticity I added a little MSG in there. (I hope you don't mind if I twirled some spaghetti in that gravy ;D)

RAGER

Christmas Eve dinner at aunt uncle in laws place like always. Palt, meatballs, lingonberries, blah blah.
I bring prime rib as requested. Head count changed back and forth. Trimmed s bone and froze it. So prolly 9 lbs.

Perfectly on track for 4:00pm.

Wrapped like a donor organ. Short drive in snow and ice.

Dinner is delayed like 2 hours. Had to finesse the reverse sear.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I'm still a bit salty over the prime rib deal. If I ever do it again I guess I need to be more assertive in making sure other things are being prepared correctly so we eat at the appropriate time. Not two fucking hours plus later rendering my perfect $200 piece of meat a blush pink instead of textbook medium. 

Was it still good? Yes. Were there any complaints? No. The opposite in fact. Maybe if I'd served it like intended it would've been "raw" to them. I don't fukn know. Gaaaahh! 
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

what a bunch of uncultured savages. im sorry you had to go through that rager.

Pissy

Quote from: RAGER on December 29, 2022, 04:24:11 PM
I'm still a bit salty over the prime rib deal. If I ever do it again I guess I need to be more assertive in making sure other things are being prepared correctly so we eat at the appropriate time. Not two fucking hours plus later rendering my perfect $200 piece of meat a blush pink instead of textbook medium. 

Was it still good? Yes. Were there any complaints? No. The opposite in fact. Maybe if I'd served it like intended it would've been "raw" to them. I don't fukn know. Gaaaahh!

I had similarly infuriating results with my tomahawk ribeyes.  It was my fault though.  Still, no complaints and everyone thought it was great, but I knew it wasn't what I knew it could be. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Thanks morty. I knew you'd understand.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Keeping T'givin' 23 pretty chill this year again. Probably head to aunt and uncles for a couple drinks after we eat. They get so drunk nobody's eating until 9 there. Shit, might be hungry again by then lol.

2 lb ribeye that I'll probably reverse sear, scalloped potatoes, radicchio salad àl a Tasty n Sons, fresh baked focaccia.

The ribeye I'll finish in the cast iron of course with garlic herb butter baste then a light basting of tallow and wash your sister sauce on the plate.

We held into a couple bottles of Sparkling rosè from Cor Cellars in the gorge.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I'm doing the rotisserie turkey again. 11lbs this time. Guess I need to make sure my ducks are in a row for this turkey. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Turkey is brining.  No fucking kosher salt anywhere in town.  So I used normal un-iodized salt.  Should be fine. 

Tomorrow morning I'll rub it with herbs, seasoned pepper and butter paste getting under the skin.  Plan to cook it for 2 hours.  Eating at 6 because the wife works at a grocery store that is distributing their prepared dinners all morning and a normal 2 pm thanksgiving dinner won't work.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Beefy mushroom gravy made. Onion dip made. Eggs hard steamed for deviled eggs. Giant ribeye air drying on a rack in the fridge.

The rest I'll do leisurely tomorrow.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

edit: I was going to rack dry the ribeye but short on racks. If no rain will fire-up the charcoal grill and; steak, chicken thighs, pork belly.
Green bean casserole, chinese eggplant wok style, chinese greens wok style. winging-it. Something made from golden potato.