The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Hormel canned oysters. Mmmmm.

Late 80's to about '92 I worked at a very small dry goods packaging plant. We did a bunch of contract packaging for other brands. One of which was Cajuns Choice Louisiana Foods. Baton Rouge, La. But it was really based out of Vancouver Wa. Dude was from La. though. A real "Coon Ass" as he was wont to say.

We mixed all his dry spice blends. Cajun seasoning, blackened, filet, hush puppy, shrimp mix, seafood boil etc.....  Got to kinda be friends with the dude. He liked to party and was a pot head so.

Couple times a year he'd host boils. He'd invite buyers of seafood departments of grocery chains. To make it festive he'd invite a bunch of his party people and my lady and myself. Big gas burners and giant pots of flown in crawfish, sausages, corn, taters all dumped on rows of newspaper lined tables. Dig in.

I can't remember if it was real but I think a beer we drank was Coon Ass beer. I remember I had a shirt he gave me.

Those were fun times

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Nice!

So first is the ribs.  They'll need to be ready by 5:00, so they need to go on at 11. 

I use this rub that Steve Albini brought to Sparklemotion's attention.   But I don't put salt in the rub.  I put it on the meat, then rub it. 

No idea if anyone benefits from my showing how to pull the silver off the ribs, but here it is. 

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I used a paper towel on the first rack.  The second was forgiving. 

Rubbed!

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Smoker is billowing like crazy.  Should be up to temp close to the top of the hour.  About 100° (see what I did there?) right now.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

My sauce is super uber secret and it's going to make me millions one day.   

So here it is.  It was on the back of a bottle of Grandma's Molasses.  The only variation is that I use AC vinegar instead of white. 

https://grandmasmolasses.com/recipe/old-fashioned-bbq-sauce/

Once I have that made, I add in some of the rub.  That's the big secret. 

png pic

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

So the ribs are simple 3-2-1.  3 hours on the smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil, 1 hr sauced unwrapped more smoke.  They should fall off the bone after all that. 

If these were competition ribs, It'd be more like 5 hrs with only 1 in the foil.   They aren't supposed to fall off the bone in KCBS comps.  But most everyone on earth wants to eat them that way.  Go figure. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

"a bunch of his party people and my lady and myself"

Muffin Man

he has the smoker. and the turkey grenade on. the. deck. um, hello? mort ,red phone

Muffin Man

Pissy

That's the old deck.  I don't mind getting Old Bay water dumped inadvertently on that deck.  I'm going to replace it at some point with a hardscaped patio building in a brick smoker. 

One day.

Speaking of Old Bay, the boil is going to be baby red potatoes, lemons, onions, corn, kielbasa and shrimp.  It should take about 30 min to boil, then another 45 to cook.  Maybe two batches. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

i wish i was there to learn, partake and enjoy. my god what a day! epic

mortlock

Very impressive. My buddy puts anus in his chili all the time.

Pissy

Star anus?

So this is the boiler.  The pot is one I inherited when my brother died.  It's actually a canner with a super thick body. I fried the turkey in it last thanksgiving when I lost confidence in the old thin aluminum pot that came with the burner.  I bought the basket a few months ago in anticipation of this day. 

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

50 oysters. These are gulf oysters.   Not as good as cold water, but still good.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Fuck yeah!  Get shucked up!  Wait. Only 50?  I could put away most of those myself just sitting on that deck watching and guzzling beer.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Old Bay?  You ain't no Yankee no mo'.

This stuff is still made. Use to mix up 500# at a time.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

did he say 50 or fitty. i need fitty doz.

Pissy

They're over a dollar each. In hindsight I should've gotten blue points from publix.  Next time. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

nah, you are the leader. rock on boss! notes are being taken. tell us more!

Pissy

About 1 tablespoon per gallon of water of Old Bay. Imma put that in now, just to soak. 

First the potatoes, lemons and onions and kielbasa.  Not until about 4:00 though. 

Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

i'll never understand boiled lemons. fresh quartered on the table, or in the jug, i get that. oh well, as long as i can get.

Muffin Man

what was that place on Burnside, in the Rose City. I never went but they had crap shipped in. Bibs with the logo. Morty had it right. fly down, don't fake it.