Main Menu

BBQ!

Started by Sally, August 03, 2012, 08:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peoplething

thread resurrection.

got a smartphone since last post too, I'm totally high tech. heh

anyway,  trying out a new rig that was a used gift. I got rid of the bullet smoker I had, but am applying some knowledge of the barbecue. hope everybody has a cool time at the all dayer.... I'm having an all dayer myself, heh.

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

black

BBQ.
Yes!

Enjoy your all dayer.
At this point I'd be happy for just a noon-er.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

MadJohnShaft

People don't like those offset smokers but I have good luck with mine, since I got a remote thermometer I run it much hotter, today I spent 12 hours making the best pulled-pork yet, and I added a chicken in there too.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

peoplething

Nice!

I'm not sure why the off-sets are so popular. The cheaper ones don't work all that well and have a terrible time with heat management. 

But there's always: 'They look so macho and manly' and 'that's what the pro's use'. The difference is the Pro spent $2000+ on his off-set and you spent $400 on yours.

Next season I might try the toxic waste barrel:

MadJohnShaft

I have one of those - it always runs a little too hot for me. Will have to try it more.

Pissy

All dayer meat smoke fest at the neighborhood pool.  I'm doing ribs in Memphis dust (below) and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, brisket (with Korean BBQ sauce) and Buffalo legs.

Before someone drives a crucifix through my butthole for Korean BBQ sauce on brisket, my smoker is a water smoker and doesn't produce bark.  For this reason im doing more of a braising approach with smoke than a dry smoke.  I'm not sure what the outcome will be, but I think it'll be good.  Just not Texas style. 

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

My dust isn't like that 100%, but it's close.  My chili chile powder is actually a present sent from ABQ by Mr Gordy black.  The dust is all sweet heat.  The heat coming in at the end of the bite. It tastes really good before it's on the meat anyways.

Chilly here, so well be braving the cold and huddling around smokers all day.  I think there'll be 9 cooks.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

I got no pictures to show for it, but my food was a hit. Brisket especially. Salt a pepper about an hour before I put it on, then put it in a pan, poured the Korean BBQ sauce over it for the last hour. 6 hours total. Ribs were good too, but the heat didn't make it all the way through the cooking process. Kinda surprised me.
Vinyls.   deal.

Isabellacat

American BBQ > Korean BBQ

LOL

I tried Korean BBQ recently and wasn't that impressed,and yet I hear so many rave reviews of it. Am I missin' something?  :-[ :-\

MadJohnShaft

I am a huge fan of amazingribs.com and treat it like The Bible.

My work is in Korea town and there's a few BBQ places, though they all get mediocre Yelp reviews.

Lumpy

I love Korean food. Korean barbecue isn't the same as what Americans call barbecue.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Pissy

I need some suggestions for a type of meat to smoke for our yearly smoke off. It can't take more than 6 hours to do.  We were going to do tri-tip, but being that's not something you find on the east coast very often, we can't source it.

We do two 'dishes' normally. The second this year is salmon. But we still need the feature, which is where the prize is associated. 

Brisket and shoulder are out because those have been overdone by our group, and we'd have a mountain of food. Ribs maybe.  Last time we did pork loin-not my favorite cut to smoke.   
Vinyls.   deal.

peoplething

what about chicken or turkey? inject a brine/spice/marinade the night before,  spatchcock them and throw them on.

I've only tried boneless country ribs, aka chuck ribs once but they were easy and came out pretty good.
http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/CMDocs/BIWFD/FactSheets/Boneless_Country_Style_Ribs.pdf

I've only had good results with pork loin if it's turned into a ham or just cooked until shred-able.

Pissy

I won overall in our smokeoff. Turned out that we found tri-tip.  2nd place in both categories yielded 1st place overall. Sweet!!!
Vinyls.   deal.

black

Fuck Yeah!
Congrats Pissy!
What's it take to land a spot as a judge?
Seems to me they're the real winners.

*drool*
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

MadJohnShaft

How did you cook the Tri-tip? Last one I did like a big steak.

Pissy

Steve Albini's rub, then cooked it like a big steak.  Threw a couple of mequite chunks on the charcoal to get the smoke. 

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/article/the-steve-albini-approved-midyett-rub-will-change-how-you-cook-meat
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

For the salmon, it was interesting.  I tasted mine vs some of the others amd there was little difference in taste among them except for the 1st place guy, who definitely had the best there. He soaked it in Spiced rum, and it really came through and worked well.   

The advantage i had was that i knew the samples going to the judges would be ugly if i cooked the fillet whole.  There was no skin on the fish. It would stick to anything.

Sparklemotion helped me out big time.  He gave me cedar paper and that was what i cooked them on. I also chunked the potions before i cooked them, cutting off the thin part of the fillets that turn to jerky in the process, and rolling them into pinwheels to stave off drying out. As a result, those pinwheels looked the most appetizing out of all of them, and that was what I submitted for judges samples. Im almost positive the presentation vs a hack job off a whole fillet made mine better than the rest of them that tasted the same.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Also, Sparklmotion was a judge for a chili cookoff one year and he said it's not fun. You have to taste all of them whether they suck or not, and some do.  You get imune to the taste of the food after a while.  I'd be interested in knowing how many people that win have their food judged in the beginning vs at the end of the tasting.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Looks like in fact i did not get 2nd for the salmon, rather 4th.
Vinyls.   deal.

MadJohnShaft

Yesterday I smoked a small pork shoulder and some BB ribs, and some potatoes and corn. Delicious!

Pissy

So this weekend is our fall neighborhood smoke-off.  Two categories: Brisket and Burgers. The categories were my choice since I won last time.

Brisket will be done mostly traditional, but i think I'm going to get creative with hacking it up pre-cook in order to maximize the burnt ends. Deli slicer is gonna give me an edge too.

Burger is gonna be a brat pattie/beef patty combo. I need to think about how i construct it, but in my head, the brat on top with mustard and kraut, and the beef on the bottom with tomato and mayo. Mayonnaise always needs to touch tomato. Always.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

My brisket won.  I didn't use the deli slicer because a buddy of mine is a wizard with knife sharpening, i was able to slice it thin by hand.

I basically did the Memphis dust as a rub, but the sawtooth around the edges, then too the remaining dust, mixed it with Heinz 57 and pulverized red pepper flakes and basted it at the end with that.

My thin slices were then woven onto toothpicks with a burnt end capped on there too.

My burgers did not win unfortunately. Nor place in the top 3. Oh well.   The burger winner was the only dude to make a smoked burger.  Good on him. He's a good dude.
Vinyls.   deal.

neighbor664

Congrats Pissy! 
At the end of the month I am moving out of my studio apt and into a shared house with a backyard, deck and gas grill. I am greatly looking forward to being able to grill and bbq at home again.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

Quote from: Pissy on October 16, 2017, 10:48:08 AM
My brisket won.  I didn't use the deli slicer because a buddy of mine is a wizard with knife sharpening, i was able to slice it thin by hand.

I basically did the Memphis dust as a rub, but the sawtooth around the edges, then too the remaining dust, mixed it with Heinz 57 and pulverized red pepper flakes and basted it at the end with that.

My thin slices were then woven onto toothpicks with a burnt end capped on there too.

My burgers did not win unfortunately. Nor place in the top 3. Oh well.   The burger winner was the only dude to make a smoked burger.  Good on him. He's a good dude.
pics?