all things SYNTH & KEYBOARD thread

Started by jibberish, November 30, 2013, 05:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

inbound

ed. hmm no midi, Foofoo o well. still in for a test run test run

Muffin Man

Hang on, what wires do I need? I want locktite midi clock. I guess I need "patch cord" as well? I have tons of 1/4" YRS

RAGER

I had a Grendel drone commander a few years back. You can play it stand alone but there's more capabilities if you have other CV (control voltage) gear. CV was one of the things used before midi to sync gear together. I think if you have a Korg SQ1 you could sequence the Grendel. I've got two. They're fun to use together. I've also got a one off build 16 step sequencer that utilizes CV and also S Trig which Moog used. I used that with my MicroMoog.

As far as cables it depends on what you're connecting it to. SQ1 you'll just need TS 1/8X1/8 or 3.5mm in Eurorack speak. Or if you're connecting to MU large format modular you'll need 1/8X1/4.

Are you buying all this stuff or just trial running?  You'll have fun with the TR8S
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Thank you for the explanation. I bought the TR8S but demoing the Grendel. I'll look at the SQ1, that might be just the ticket. I'm trying not to go anything modular, but we'll see.

Muffin Man

Keystep Pro maybe good for me. 4 track seq, CV outs. keys, knobs, metro, tons of lights.

RAGER

That might the one. Cv, midi, triggers prolly, sync.

Not sure. Haven't explored it yet. I've had the og  keystep for quite a while
No Focus Pocus

socket

Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

RAGER

I don't know what the difference is between the first version and the XD but I had one of the very first Minilogue's to come out. Everyone was stoked including me. I got it and just didn't dig it. It performed well enough and all. Just wasn't my thing. I sold it for near what I paid. You prolly won't use the sequencer cuz didn't you get a polyend? 
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Mongo not smart enough to operate Minilogue XD :(

Is it hard to use? What's it good at? Looks like no digital interface, just knobs and switches :idea:
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

If I remember right it's a 4 voice poly synth with memory and a sequencer. Synth engine I thought was from the MS 2000 which I've had many near misses to buy but just never have. But I've got a Novation Peak, Jupiter 6, MU modular, Prophet 600, Sub 37, Virus , and various other synths so I doubt I'll ever buy a MS2000 at this point.

I really haven't been gassing for anything in quite a while besides a bottom 69 Marshall cab to finish off my stack.
No Focus Pocus

socket

More effects, additional oscillator, some other minor stuff. Price was close so just went with the xd, and it's black.

I'll use the sequencer for arp, etc, but yeah, just want it to fuck around with while I rot away in my apartment for the next year or whatever.

Lumpy

The MS2000 is cool, but not so good for changing settings on the fly. It takes a couple seconds to change things up, if I recall. Is the Minilogue (minilogue, sorry) better at doing that? Can you ride the knobs and switch drastically between different sounds, like short attention span music?

Oh! I do see a digital display (not the waveform, the other one).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Muffin Man

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I need to replace the ground-rod at la casa, thats wut.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

socket

Got the Minilogue today. I'm an hour in and already fucking love it. It sounds so damn good. I honestly really like the slim keys, wasn't sure if I would. I prefer 3 octaves rather than 2 full size.

Muffin Man

You are the new Boss. Go 'gettum champ  8)

Muffin Man

Why, is a good question. How do I test for ground rod perfection? Long of it is, I want audiophile tube amplify sound magic.

socket

Started a few fucking songs. I'm completely obsessed and I think I may be in love.

RAGER

It's nice when you find a piece of gear that inspires.

I brought some stuff upstairs for the day.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Got some nice refrigertor sounds (sounded like my refer) so far, then some chirps. Had some fun industrial machine vowel sounds going. Random tinkering on the Grendel. Waiting on patch cords.

changed the file added reverb. Not that it helped lol,  just a little funny snip/jokery/

Muffin Man

How do you like the Carbon and how easy is it to use? I need no-brainer boxes.

RAGER

I like it a lot. Once you get into it it's not bad. There's some menu diving involved because it's small and does a lot. It can control a bunch of synths. It's not a total mindfuck like Elektron stuff. Put it that way.

When it first came out there wasn't much in the way of instructions. Now there's a nice online manual with accompanying videos.
No Focus Pocus