all things SYNTH & KEYBOARD thread

Started by jibberish, November 30, 2013, 05:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beta Cloud

Quote from: RAGER on May 25, 2014, 11:38:02 PM
My shit's startin' to look like a Herbie Hancock video.

robot limbs would be optimal.

tight setup yo-
why does it hurt when i pee?

RAGER

Still have a bunch of crap upstairs so.........  Was gonna go full anon but the damn phone lid down from the vibes I guess to reveal my stupid face.  First thing this morning so no makeup......

No Focus Pocus

jibberish

hey, whoa whoa whoa, that's you really playing keys. careful, you might fuck up and actually learn to play keyboards

RAGER

I know, right? :D  Gotta study some Emerson, Ricky "The Cape" Wakeman, Tony Carrey,  Don Airey, Jon Lord, etc....
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Likin my Waldorf so far.  Just one of the cool sounds I can get out of this thing.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Gonna dust off my old Tascam 4 track and use it in my synth rig.  4 tracks of constant loops to fade in and out.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

you would feel like god with a huge crystal clean stereo slicing the audiosphere with giant magic.  it doesn't all have to sound like it came out of a casio speaker. it can sound ungodly huge. synths are fucking amazing, especially if you let them out properly.

chief, get some clean amplification already and run all that shit through the mixer into the big stereo. you will shit.

so GC by me is starting to get that roland aira stuff in stock. I gave my son some happy travels cash so I have to wait again, plus my sis is finally going to get this fucking car out of here, but i'm going to take it up and get brakes/battery before she takes it, so there goes some other toy for the time being too.

i'm prtty set that i'll get a dave smith tetra as the next table unit.

some day we will have to collaborate, especially since we will have two different sets of synths. I can learn actual keyboard parts. just a matter of time and practice, but piano was my 1st instrument so it is still there even tho I don't play that much anymore. you can figure out all the details of my arpeggiators so I don't have to haha. ps, I dig playing bass on the synth, esp jazz bass cuz there are no wrong notes.

RAGER

I am either picking up a pair of mackie 450 watt powered mains this morning or putting money down on those and the prophet 600. Just gotta decide when I get there. Either way the mackies will be mine today or by Saturday payday. Again, not taking dough out of savings. I can wait a couple days. Just gotta decide on the prophet. Perfect unmolested specimen but needs the updated treatment.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

I am stoked for you to hear your synths through full range with some schmaltz behind it.

edit: caution..audio heroin. the power of the bass haha.

RAGER

Ok.  Bought the Mackies and put the SCI Prophet on layaway.  Can't wait for Saturday night (my Friday).

Getting in touch with dude that fixed my Novation to see about the upgrades for the Prophet.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Names I'm considering for my new electronic project if I actually ever do any recording or live stuff.

Zero Serum

Triage Fort

Glow-Blinken
No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

Glo-blinken sounds cool.

the synth collection expands! you seem to be lucky in finding good stuff. congrats on the scores.

I tried an old moog prodigy the other day at a music store. man, I used to think that thing was probably the coolest synth I ever owned, but after checking one out after 10+ years, it's almost a joke, but more like a toy. The minibrute easily kicks it's ass, which makes me thankful that I have it. two oscillators tho, that's the clincher. I know that you mentioned running the miniB into a microB (or a module) to get two oscs going, but I have to figure out what to buy. I think that tonight I'll try running a software synth at the same time.

I'm starting to work with the synth more lately. I committed to doing an act for my friend who is starting up a gong show thing at a brewery next door to where I work. (It's a comedic talent show, for those who don't remember the tv show from the 70's.) I've agreed to do a guaranteed gong-able act in which I improvise some terrible noise on my synth and take it really seriously when i get gonged. So I'm practicing for that. I guess. have been used to improvising interesting noise, so to try and make it sound horribly bad is actually requiring some education. I went and bought a boss super shifter pedal, which can do the high and low pitch vocals. It does some other cool shit too, so that was a good buy for $40. I'm gonna wear some costume and probably go with the high pitched chipmunk vocals. I hope it doesn't last more that a couple of minutes. that will be my first foray into solo synth act territory.
CV - Slender Fungus

jibberish

I definitely am getting more turned off to vintage electronics too. the new stuff is too powerful and relatively, an order of magnitude cheaper now.

also, i'm really bummed. I set up my whole synth rig to make some noise and there's no lights. haha.

name my band "hole blacken"

so now I have to figure out how I want to use the 12-step foot thing in all this shit.

that would be a good problem

here is what that 12 step is:

RAGER

I still think the prodigy sounds pretty bad ass but all those old moogs feel clunky. Like something's gonna break. Minibrute is super cool but sounds nothing like a moog. The mini and micro together is a force to be reckoned with for sure. That way you get duophony or parophony (sic) whichever but it sounds baaaaad. That's the important part. 

Good luck on sounding gongable. You ought to do something to trip you up. Transpose to. Key you're least familiar with or something to help in sounding terrible. Check out noise artist Redneck from up here for inspiration.

Jib. What's up with the synths?

Shit that foot controller is way affordable. Dammit. Now on the list.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

haha, the synths. my synths are all old school. the dx-7 1st gen like from 1982 ish has a red number segment light and otherwise dark.
boss GM MIDI module, unlit lcd, no power light even.
kawaii k4r module, one tiny yellow backlit LCD
alesis drum machine, unlit lcd , no power light either

ok the korg x50 has like 4-5 lights and a lit screen, but this is a black hole of darkness compared to you audio Christmas light display

long story longer, I was horsing around. you and your galaxy of lights is glo blinken
my deep space vacuum of darkness is called hole blacken

imagine when glo blinken collides with hole blacken.
we world ownen.

ja! haha

btw, glo blinken rolls really nicely. so when you do band merch, embroider micro LED's into the logos on the shirts. and they will really glo blinken.

edit: yeah, that foot controller is nice. ok I have more lights. in fact that fucking thing with its white led's makes a great worklight for behind the synths to do wiring
it runs off a usb cable. I had to get the midi adapter box to run th eold school stuff. if you want to just run your DAW or mew usb synths, you can skip the adapter and the unit will parasite off the pc's or tablet's usb power
(the dude in one of the demo vids didn't have enough power from his ipad to power the 12step enough to do a patch change. there are like a dozen bright white led's on all the time.

the midi adapter box has its own wall wart and puts plenty of juice to the 12 step that way. everything is snappy as far as I can see

that company also has a thing called a soft step or something which is a performance controller vs extra foot keyboard. for large gangs of patch changes and sample triggers I could see that being better, but I want to play latched pads and bass lines and the 12 step does that .
there are 50 combos of up to 5 notes. the 5 octave 5 note spread is huge as fuck heh. the 2 octave one is nice, and every chord combo you can think of  even power chord fifths.
and octave down until all the notes make you want to puke when you play it loud haha

i'll make a little video shortly after I re-arrange so I can actually play this mess (my salt buckets = your tray tables)

eyeprod

well i pulled off the gong show act. got gonged after about a minute into it, but people were yelling for me to quit pretty much right away. success!

I did manage to make a couple of contacts for future jamming or whatev. So, some people were impressed that I can work the thing, but to me it was just total fucking around. pretty fun
CV - Slender Fungus

jibberish

Quote from: eyeprod on June 24, 2014, 01:08:44 PM
well i pulled off the gong show act. got gonged after about a minute into it, but people were yelling for me to quit pretty much right away. success!

I did manage to make a couple of contacts for future jamming or whatev. So, some people were impressed that I can work the thing, but to me it was just total fucking around. pretty fun
heh, awesome.

\m/

RAGER

I'm definitely doing some gong worthy shit.  Different shot of my set up

No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

good looking setup! I'm still hoping to get a drum machine soon. Sort of leaning towards a sample based one, so I can record and use my own samples rather than onboard sounds. even analog based drum sounds aren't really what I want to be limited to using. I really like acoustic sounds that can be tweaked.
CV - Slender Fungus

Beta Cloud

Quote from: RAGER on April 23, 2014, 07:43:11 PM
Synth corner currently.

2 things about that.

1. you need a moog subphatty with case in mint condition, (which i happen to have in my possession).

2. i need that orange head.

did you just get a big rubbery one?

jibberish

GLWT, I can't even weasel his malekko.

that fooger delay/drum video was a nice look into the fooger delay. lots of tap tempo I saw, the ending fadeawy was the best part.

RAGER

1. I have already put a preorder deposit on the Sub 37 that is everything the subphatty is and then some. It should be out in the fall.

2.  Myself and that Orange will prolly never part ways. The same with that Marshall under it.

Jib. There is a malekko 616 on the local cl. If you want I can try to commandeer it for you. They want 125. Check it out.
No Focus Pocus

Beta Cloud

sadness overcomes me on so many levels.

jibberish

heh, i'm just fucking around again.  i'll just use the memory lane 2 since my son didn't take it with him. later I will buy a double delay. I see I am not the only person who sees uses for that setup.

ok, first run with new toys.  this "stepping while playing" is a new sensation.

in the vid it takes 2 minutes to get my shit together, maybe skip the 1st 2 min. you'll get the idea way before it is over, but it got going towards the end. I was not really paying attention to the guitar as much as the footpedal

I just slaved the korg arpggiator to the alesis drum machine for extra percussion. foot pedal running kawaii and boss modules with w/e patch I found that sounded cool. guitar thru big digital reverb, that's it for a start.  next comes songs and more refinement of wtf i'm doing, but the potential for this minimal setup to sound great is there already

/stoked