all things SYNTH & KEYBOARD thread

Started by jibberish, November 30, 2013, 05:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Let the iphone run for a couple synth jams this morning.

No Focus Pocus

Beta Cloud

excellent demos man, everything is on point to cause the GAS.
kudos-
why does it hurt when i pee?

jibberish

I agree. those were nice demos.   I am digging watching your keyboard skills advancing too.  look at you go.

guitar players actually have an edge on using both hands to play keys because of the well developed left hand coordination.

eyeprod

i wasn't super into that second one, but it's cool to see you working on your keyboard skills. I keep telling myself to do that more often, but i think i'm one of these guys who just makes sweeps, blips and bleeps
CV - Slender Fungus

RAGER

Ah... you must be one of thumbs downers. :D  yeah it's nothing great just working on my actual playing.  Sounds way better in the room of course.
No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

nah i wouldn't thumbs down it, but i would tell you what i think. /thumbsup
CV - Slender Fungus

Dave J

Something I put together with my Animoog app on my iPad.  I first put the drum track down from Garageband, multi tracked the synth part, and then put some clips from Pulp Fiction.  When I don't feel lazy, I'll go back and edit the movie clips, 'cause I used too much.  I like this though.  Enjoy.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/davej1066/ezekiel-25-17[/soundcloud]
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

jibberish

^that was cool. I started flashing scenes from the movie.  so ya I guess that did take me away from the song a little with all the long dialogues from scenes

Omlet

I suck at synths. To be honest, I can't play more than a single note on any keyboard instrument. However, I made three or four retro-synthwave tunes, using only a DAW and various VST plugins, mainly SQ8L and some shit built in the FL Studio.

I don't know if it fits into this topic, as it's done 100% digitally. If not, tell me to GTFO and I will do it ;)

jibberish

shit omlet, that was a righteous construction. 
I dig that type of music for sure.

Omlet

I'm glad you like it :)
It's available for free download at https://polymatrix.bandcamp.com/
Also it's a big chance that it will be released on tape and maybe cd as well.

Dave J

Quote from: jibberish on September 22, 2014, 02:48:18 AM
^that was cool. I started flashing scenes from the movie.  so ya I guess that did take me away from the song a little with all the long dialogues from scenes

Thanks Jibberish.  When I first put it together I wasn't sure what I wanted to cut.  Now I do.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

RAGER

Hey omlet check out the label Rosso Corsa. Countach!
No Focus Pocus

tombhex

Quote from: Omlet on September 22, 2014, 10:14:33 AM
I'm glad you like it :)
It's available for free download at https://polymatrix.bandcamp.com/
Also it's a big chance that it will be released on tape and maybe cd as well.

I'm loving it. I need a good Blade Runner fix every once in a while, this will do it nicely. Will absolutely buy a cassette if you end up putting one out.

Omlet

I'll post news about the release when I get some info about it. You can count on it :)

Unfortunately I don't know when I'll be able to record any new Polymatrix songs as it's really tedious process. Also, I'll need a new PC because this one is on the decline...

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

jibberish

first round after hooking up my scurvy pile of stuff to all go at once. I have 5 things that make noises. it looks like I am tripping over stuff, just dancing on that pedalboard like a tard heh.

I had it loud heh, and the camera facing away from the speakers. I was wondering about that, but the audio is superb and the bass is all there, so I am probably going to do more with just the camera mic when not anything serious.

RAGER

The cloud setting on the big sky would turn that plucky organ sound into a cathedral pipe organ.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

I could imagine. you probably could smell the stench of the reverb I have all the way to your house.

but that thin patch has been one of my favorite patches since the beginning. I call it a space oboe. it says synth lead 1 heh, boring. it has a square wave trem and weird tones. 

that was actually a good demo for just how hi quality that DX-7 really is.  the keys are perfect. aftertouch, velocity sensitive, and they have enough weight and snap that you actually can dribble them off the bottom like a B-ball. you cant help but be fast as lightning. the sound selection kind of blows, but it is analog still, just with some weird additive synth concept. and the 2 wheels makes for a lot of screwing around. the menu blows dead elephants. you need at least a masters in archaeology

the wall of sound keeps growing. next I will jam some guitar and also some organ into tube amps n shit for some john lord action, then try to combine it all together.

I am feeling a clocking crisis approaching though. that is where I am going to start looking around at what is out there and what other people are doing.

jibberish

dig it. I wonder if they can be daisy chained if you need more outs

RAGER

Looks like it.

Ouch and 5 hundo a pop.  Goddamm Roland
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Arturia needs to make one for a hundo w/ 4 I/O
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

I wish I was motivated like omlet  8)

I will study up on the master clock issue more.
I looked into a MIDI splitter. I would like one, so that many midi outs are parallel and all timed the same vs daisy chaining and adding up propagation delays

it turns out that there are some simple chips that make this pretty easy.

maybe there is some insight specific to timing. I do not want to rely on a PC for controlling the show.  those rolands look like you can run several from a PC, but not slave them like those old ADAT's or tetra modules. if that roland had like 10 outputs of each type, I would be more interested.   

windows is an interrupt driven OS, not clocked realtime like DOS used to be. USB in a PC is shady at best. that's why serious people still use firewire or low bandwidth shit like stereo audio streams which is slow enough to absorb hesitations in the input continuity.  the biggest complaint about midi clocking is windows pc's.