Ah yes.  A hint.

Packed up nicely

Case and power supply.

No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

CV - Slender Fungus

jibberish

I was poking around on the Pittsburgh modular site
(i'm kind of wanting that new delay module they made. 2 of those nice bucket brigade chips and other crazy shit for $350, but that's another story heh).

their power supplies in their cases are +12v/-12v/+5v   wtf? that is exactly what a PC power supply is set up for. you could use 2 for the opposite 12v taps. <$100 = 1kw power supply.

I couldn't quickly find numbers at synthesizer.com but I was wondering, do they use a similar power convention?
or are modules the wild wild west and you get as many power configurations as you do brands of modular(and wow are they coming out of the woodwork these days , I cant fucking keep up)

if there is some kind of convention, I could maybe design hacked PC power supply module supplies that kill everything at that price point.  pc supplies are made by the millions. you get way more tech in those for the dollar than you do from handbuilt shit. js.  they even have fans built in.  you jump 2 pins on the main connector and it turns on. so a simple single pole on-off switch is all you need, double pole if you had 2 supplies for the 24v rail-to-rail spread

------------------------------------
regarding racks
i'm envisioning some kind of shorty, I guess an 11 space rack, interlocking, made of acrylic for making a modular stack.  I would also just make one 11 space box into the utility box with all the comms+power in there.

now here's how my twisted brain works..."what kind of stupid little jewelry box or maybe electrical box or maybe doo-dad box is about the right size for maybe 2-4 spaces of module. something that costs like a buck or 2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
heh   so I COULD just buy an oscillator from s com and make noise right out of the chute.  I don't need no stinkin furniture haha. I haz duct tape.

jibberish

I keep thinking about power supplies now. along with clamping diodes for overvoltage or polarity reversal, you could actually use a zener as an undervoltage eliminator too.
often shit really fucks up when it gets undervoltaged and goes into grey state. it would be better to just be turned off once it drops to a certain minimum level as set by the zener value, like 9v or 10 or w/e is still safe.

you could run twin USB 5v supplies through a beefy diode for a .7v drop for nice 9v supplies actually. 5v is 5v from the usb supplies stock...

picture a box full of all this crap with one plug to the wall outlet and a huge selection of various voltage taps somewhat customized for the particular pile of shit one has.
you could run various power busses around the gear circle with parallel taps off that thing, or just a giant octopus of taps centrally located from the main unit or both. put whatever ends are needed for that setup.  none of this shit uses big juice or causes reactive woes like motors. all civilized wall wart stuff.  I would love to lose about 15 assorted individual power supplies, and I only see this problem growing as I get more crap.

may as well set it up to run modulars too wtf.

Lumpy

Is that a modular case?  :o

How many spaces in there, and how many people does it take to carry it when it's loaded?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

22 space rack.  Not sure how much it'll weigh.  After it's full I'll start in on the second one.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Wouldn't you rather have like three 8 space racks? (I have no idea).

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I just imagine that carrying that rack up and down staircases will be an adventure, or through tight turns, landings and stairwells etc. It's like 12 feet long?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

Personally, I'd go portable suitcase style. Keep it portable and modular, since there's no reason to have so many modules in one case.

Wall is not very portable, but surely will look awesome!
CV - Slender Fungus

jibberish

that thing looks nice. also, there is nothing stopping rager from getting different road cases for IF he goes on the road and that ends up being too much to easily handle.
the pittsburgh modular has beautiful road cases which differ from the studio cases.  modular=nothing is permanent

that being said, my first thought was a rack half that length too.

RAGER

It will be a rare occasion if at all I bring out the modular to a venue. If it gets to playing again for me it will be with other gear.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Your link was acting weird, but here's the video for it...

jibberish

I am a total sucker for dave smith stuff, but you know what,  I don't feel anything really crazy new here.  that is such nice sounding gear.
I would still rather have a prophet 12
UNLESS this thing is at a crazy low price, then I would want it as the first DS synth I got.  I need some kind of lotto drawing in my favor to score that prophet 12

the more I look, the more I think that sub37 is still the best pile of synth you can get at the $1500-ish price point as of right now. seriously.

RAGER

Jam this morning before work with the Mini Brute, DX7, and Big Sky.  Vangelis influenced.

No Focus Pocus

jibberish

yeah, I don't think there is any point in making vids of my practice songs.
I might do up "O Holy Night" for spook though. it is sounding better than I thought it would. I bet he would like that.
I have 2 original practice pieces cooking. maybe i'll video one of those, or not heh.

RAGER

Quote from: jibberish on January 24, 2015, 04:13:36 PM
yeah, I don't think there is any point in making vids of my practice songs.

Why do you say that?
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

I was referring to the xmas carols.  I use those because I know the phrasing cold, so they are good for working on techniques.
like a ragtime arrangement of rockin round the xmas tree. I cooked that up to really bust my left hand free of my right, but meh to have to listen to that.
that's what I mean.

my original songs I would record if I like where they end up. I record jams because you never know what is going to happen.

RAGER

So the guy on the right was over at my place the other night.  We've know each other for about 30 years.  He was the singer in my drummers very first metal band back in the day.  I am not into what he's doing musically at all now but he is a full on synth nerd that owns and has owned some pretty killer gear.  He's  been doing electronic music for a long time so he knows the logistics pretty well.  Had him over to help me out with some stuff and answer some questions.  Nice guy but what a goofy thing he's got going.  At least to me.  They have a following I guess so there's that......
No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

Kinda fruity but also kinda interesting. Probably sounds horrible. I like custom outfits, but am not really into spectacle these days. This looks like glam techno or some shit.
CV - Slender Fungus

Beta Cloud

Quote from: RAGER on January 20, 2015, 03:50:19 PM
:D  It's only 4'.

you flatter my urethra rager my friend.

but seriously, i've been watching your synth collection grow and love what you've done with the rig and the vids you've thrown up here man.
very, very cool.
haven't touched my synths in a while... long hours of work, family stuff, playing guitar in a band. bummed about it. so bummed i've been considering selling my sub phatty. that's a bad frame of mind to be in.
why does it hurt when i pee?

jibberish

stick with this thread, you will be stoked to dust that puppy off before you know it.
get a used beatstep and throw sequences into your music.  moogs sound great.
accidentally buy a big sky.......