Holiday recipes

Started by renfield, November 12, 2018, 09:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Quote from: Jor el on December 20, 2018, 07:40:58 PM

Looks good, but he doesn't know what it is.

I know Deep Fried when I see it. Good enough for me!
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

neighbor664

Make Burnt Weeny Sandwiches for Frank Zappa Day. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimjom

Quote from: Lumpy on December 21, 2018, 04:46:18 PM
Quote from: Jor el on December 20, 2018, 07:40:58 PM

Looks good, but he doesn't know what it is.

I know Deep Fried when I see it. Good enough for me!

Once again I respect Lumpy's counsel! The fish was air fried and this is a great plate - full disclosure I had the leftovers last night but tossed the Brussels due to the fact that I didn't want to eat any more but I composted them.

Is there a food photo thread? Anyway thank you Totinos and waffle shaped fries!

Also here's a recipe from a dude at work who was going to drive to upstate New York tonight and intended to crush these bastards the whole time driving up there (they're left from a potluck yesterday I didn't participate in:

I'm Red Jr.  Who are you?

Jor el

You have Lost your Mind

What Would Scooby Do ?

renfield

You should get some sort of wrist support, shit's not ergonomic.

Jor el

Yeah - like a Bowling Glove

What Would Scooby Do ?

Lumpy

Quote from: jimjom on December 22, 2018, 02:19:36 AMfull disclosure I had the leftovers last night but tossed the Brussels due to the fact that I didn't want to eat any more but I composted them.

Brussel sprouts are super healthy - they're a cruciferous vegetable (like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage). Good eating! I can only eat the frozen kind, for some reason the fresh brussel sprouts give me hellacious gas. I don't know why the frozen ones are different.

mortlock

The freezing process removes the gas. Obviously.

jimjom

Brussels are just little cabbages right? That and broccoli make me gaseous as well.

Tonight for Christmas Eve, my mom eschewed the usual Christmas Eve Ukrainian tradition that we have done for as long as I can remember—that being pyrohy, mushrooms, (I know this is a drug rock board, regular mushrooms you guys) sauerkraut with split peas, and a variety of desserts in favor of a feast of the seven fishes twist with scallops and crab cakes. So it was a feast of two seafoods that aren't actually fish but the sentiment was still there.

My mom and I shared the stove and cooked together for the first time in recent memory. We sautéed the scallops in a healthy/unhealthy amount of butter for 6-8 minutes per side until they had caramelized and browned nicely. We cooked the crab cakes (which were pre packaged Phillips Seafood brand) the same way in another pan. The crab cakes were pretty much all crab and little filler so they broke up a bit during cooking/turning them but they were still great nonetheless and had a good little crunch in each bite with the bell peppers and celery mixed into the cakes. This was a decadent seafood meal given the copious amount of butter we used but we had a great time with it. My dad made his crab cakes into sandwiches with simple white burger buns but my mom and I ate everything plated as is.

Steamed broccoli complemented the looks of the bright red and green peppers and celery in the crab cakes and made for a great plate presentation. Way to go, mom! We also had a salad with bibb lettuce, black olives, red onions, and a store bought Italian dressing.

Nut roll for dessert. This was a good Christmas Eve. I'm an only child and it was just the three of us there today, but this day before Christmas made some lasting memories for me and I cherished it!

Now I'm watching the football game and having a Victory Hop Wallop and am rooting for the under 46.5 wink wink. ;)

I'll see my son tomorrow morning to open gifts. I can imagine how excited he is in thinking about what Santa is going to bring him and is likely having trouble sleeping. He's 26. Just kidding, he's 4.

I hope that all of you have a great holiday no matter what and where you celebrate!

Jor el

How old does Lasagna have to be to Kill you ?

What Would Scooby Do ?

jimjom

Quote from: Jor el on December 28, 2018, 12:50:24 AM

How old does Lasagna have to be to Kill you ?

I don't know but I bet I know who does. He's a cat. He's orange. He hates Mondays. He's overweight.

Also:

Give me a hot dog bun I'll show you how to fish. Give me a week and I'll show you how to eat for a week. —The Bible

Jor el

I'd like to see Lumpy try to defend Grape Jelly

What Would Scooby Do ?

Lumpy

Grape jelly is great, if you're under 10.

renfield

Fuck jelly, period. I'm a jam man.

jimjom

You can make crock pot meatballs with grape jelly

socket

You can also suck my dick, if you want.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

mortlock

Quote from: socket on December 29, 2018, 03:40:22 AM
You can also suck my dick, if you want.
dip that bad boy in a crock pot full of meatballs and grape jelly and bolt will be in his glory.

renfield

New years traditions:
Black eyed peas and stewed tomatoes
Vasilopita

I might abandon the family vasilopita recipe this year and do the bread (rather than cake) version:
https://www.bowlofdelicious.com/vasilopita-greek-new-years-bread/

Jor el

Vasilopita Grape Jelly Sangwich

What Would Scooby Do ?

jimjom

Jor el

Were they the Lord's Chips?

What Would Scooby Do ?

renfield

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

jimjom

Made a twist on New Years pork traditions tonight (har har HONK) - I was watching Kitchen Nightmares and got inspired. I only ate those chips and some other bad food yesterday and wanted to make some pork and kraut but the grocery stores were closed for the holiday. So, tonight I went.

I purchased some thin pork cutlets, rosemary, prepackaged mashed potatoes and some polska kielbasa with the intent of making some chops with a simple pan sauce.

I threw the kielbasa in the air fryer to get some crust on the slices and nuked the potatoes. Easy!

I only have nonstick pans which aren't ideal for browning really but went with what I had. I heated the pan, threw in some butter, rosemary sprigs, and garlic cloves (not chopped  or crushed) and got that sizzling. Added the chops and seasoned with salt and pepper and then cooked them to get a little brown color for 4 minutes on each side. I poured a half of a cup or (I don't measure when I cook!) so of chicken broth in too to mix the butter into some semblance of a sauce.

I preheated the oven to 350 degrees.

I put the chops on a baking tray and threw them in the oven for 12 minutes. Prior to this I removed the garlic and rosemary from the pan so the garlic wouldn't brown too much and get bitter. The rosemary had a caramelized look to it.

While the chops were in the oven cooking, I took the pan off the heat and added more chicken broth and put the garlic back into the pan. I put the pan back on the hot burner and stirred with a wooden spoon to deglaze the pan and get the caramelized rosemary and a slight garlic taste and essence infused into the pan sauce.

I plated the potatoes, added the kielbasa to the plate, and removed the chops from the tray and let them rest a bit. I then plated the chops, poured the sauce over the dish and added a sprig of rosemary as a garnish.

If I could do anything differently next time I'd:

Use a cast iron skillet (I need to buy one)

whip up a julienned carrot/apple/vinegar/sugar/purple cabbage cold (not Cole) slaw with the whole dish to add some vibrant colors.

I'd also make the kielbasa look less phallic and slice the rounded edges of the kielbasa at a bias.

The chops were kind of rubbery but still tasted good so I'd find a way to make them more tender, like pulverizing them with a meat tenderizer.

Here are some shots:

Lumpy

Thin cutlets are easy to overcook. 4 minutes per side was probably all they needed. Those look pretty lean too, so they could get tough.

I stopped buying nonstick cookware. I don't think it's healthy (the coating wears off after a while, hmmm, where does it go?) and it's horrible for the environment (nonstick coating is made by big polluters). I use stainless steel, sometimes things stick, but there are ways of making it work (backing off on the heat, deglazing etc). Cast iron requires a mix of care and neglect I've never gotten the hang of.