Portland’s top 40....

Started by RAGER, August 01, 2019, 04:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Restaurants according to the Oregonian which is a bullshit newspaper but aren't they all mostly.

Mostly good choices though. A few are surprising l absent. I've been to more than half. Post your cities.

https://expo.oregonlive.com/life-and-culture/g66l-2019/07/cfc9b36d2f3422/portlands-40-best-restaurants-ranked.html
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

ill give you my cities top 5.
1. mr dominics at the lake
2. nick tahou's
3. ldr char pit
4. schallers
5. tk's pizza

shout out to the charlotte tavern for the best fish fry in the city and the summerville grill for being an awesome place to get fucked up at the bar and leave with some killer takeout. 

renfield

There's lots of good food in Long Beach but one noteworthy place is Thai Curry Pizza. The two primary fusion items are the curry pizza and the tom yum pizza. The latter is pretty spectacular in spite of the puffy fast food style crust. They'll make it Thai Hot for you if you ask.

RAGER

So we got Rochester and Long Beach Ca.

Tahous is the garbage plate place and Summerville Grill doesn't bother with plating aesthetics but I'd smash that calamari. Fuck yeah.

I'm intrigued with the Tom Yum pizza. List a few more. Thai food and pizza is......... different.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

Beer Belly is a great opportunity to clog your arteries. My favorite thing on their menu is the Death By Duck: fries tossed in duck fat + duck confit and raspberry mustard. Memorably good house pickles. Deep fried twinkies for desert if you're really psychotic. Used to have some sort of Korean baby back rib dish but no longer I guess.
http://www.beerbellyla.com/beer-belly-lb

Panxa Cocina has a creative southwestern/mex menu and the food is very well prepared
https://panxacocina.com/menu

The Attic has a goofy mac n cheese + hot cheetos gimmick that people love, I don't fuck with that stuff but their Monte Cristo makes me want to cry it's so good
https://www.theatticonbroadway.com/pages/menu

Claire's is attached to the Long Beach Art Museum and is situated on the bluff overlooking the ocean. They've been improving the kinda underwhelming food, but their bloody marys are the best in town. I stick with the original, the missus likes the bacon / shrimp monstrosities. Has like, finely minced (not pureed) cucumber in it or something. Really special stuff

renfield

The sushi scene is unfortunately kinda garbage. The emphasis on the fake crab mayo salad and shrimp tempura in seemingly every goddamn roll isn't what sushi should be about. Consequently the raw fish isn't consistently fresh enough to make the sashimi or simple nigiri/maki's very enticing. The poke fad is in full swing. Meh.

There are quite a few Indian options but I don't particularly adore any of them.

mortlock

Im a bloody mary expert. Those look so fucking good.

renfield

I really dig them; they garnish one of the recipes with a sprig of charred rosemary and it works so fucking well. I could seriously use one right now...

RAGER

Fucking poke. Everywhere.

Those bloodies look awesome.

How about this place for duck.

The Duck Stack at Canard. Pancakes fried in duck fat, duck gravy, duck egg and seared foie gras

No Focus Pocus

renfield

mortlock

I found the consistency of bloody marys to vary from place to place. I personally do not like thick bloodys. I prefer them to be a little watered down. 

RAGER

Do you like a lot of bullshit in them? Or just some celery?
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on August 02, 2019, 10:44:10 PM
Do you like a lot of bullshit in them? Or just some celery?
i can go either way. If the base is made properly the skys the limit. Depends how hungry i am. When i make them its vodka (titos), ice, bm mixer (i never use tomato juice or v8), dash of tobasco, speck of horse raddish, fresh lime slice, celery stalk. I usually keep it simple. I apply bass player rule number 1. Less is more.

mortlock

I made these awhile back. They got a few cilantro leaves in them. I also hit it with a dash of black pepper.

RAGER

Remember I told you Clamato?  You gotta try it.

No salt on the rim?
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Im due to re up on the mixer. Maybe i will get some clamato. Ill let you know. No rim jobs for me. Too complicated.

mortlock

Its been awhile since i had summervilles calamari and since you mentioned it rager, i had to go. I just got back from splitting an order with my gf. It was fantastic. Heres a few pics.

RAGER

Man that looks delish except the Bud. I'd have a French bier de garde or a Belgian strong ale with that.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Not on Portland's forty but it should be. I keep raving about Lardo and their sandwiches and dirty fries. There's none dirtier. I got the monthly Chefwitch. Char siu Cubano. Fuck yeah.

That stuff on the pickle is a furikake sachimi togarashi mix.
And the dirty fries.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

jesus fuck that looks so good. whats the seasoning on the pickle?

Muffin Man

Looks like a furikake sachimi togarashi mix to me.

Great looking food for sure!

Lumpy

Agree... I was just about to guess it was furikake sachimi togarashi mix.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

you guys really know your seasonings.

Lumpy

Actually, I make my own. Nothing beats homemade.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.