1980s arcade games

Started by mortlock, December 12, 2010, 11:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isabellacat

clockwork green

My goal in life is to one day own an actual arcade edition of Defender. The home versions were never remotely close because of the controls.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

mortlock

i share that goal..and ill take it one step further..id like to have a small game room in my house..have defender, asteroids, pacman, and burgertime. that and and some air hockey..

I,Galactus

I feel the same way about galaga.  Console controls just arent the same.

I'd love a galaga / ms pacman machine.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

gnombient

I didn't have a lot of disposable income as a kid, and I was usually reluctant to spend the money I had on arcade games -- books, RPGs, and toys took precedence.  My most-played game was probably Elevator Action, but I also loved Ghosts & Goblins, Rolling Thunder, Crystal Castles, and Golden Axe... 

Nowadays I play a lot of classic arcade games on the computer through MAME, and recently ordered one of these to upgrade the experience... 

Dunedin

Quote from: tastelikedirt on December 18, 2010, 03:49:13 PM

Tempest!
I can't believe only one person has mentioned Tempest! That game was awesome. Also, did North America not get the game Scramble? I thought someone would have remembered it.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

mortlock

we got it. i loved that game. i sucked at it though, but i still loved it.

I,Galactus

Speaking of Tempest and tube shooters

GYRUSS!

I loved playing this game, but the cabinet at the movie theater arcade put out a TON of heat.  Between that of the awesome / vertigonous forced perspective, I was always paranoid that Gyruss was giving me cancer.

That same arcade had the coolest TETRIS machine, too.  It was really tall and white and had two full-sized screens for head-to-head.  I've never seen another one like it.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Dunedin

Quote from: mortlock on March 20, 2012, 01:09:03 AM
we got it. i loved that game. i sucked at it though, but i still loved it.

Yeah, Scramble was one of my faves too. I gave myself RSI once from playing it.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

socket

Scramble on Vectrex was awesome.  Best game for the system.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

peoplething

I just picked up a new HP computer for home use and have been fiddling around with MAME a bit.

Defender, Joust, Ms.PacMan, Galaga, Battle Zone, Frogger.... for me the xbox controller works fine enough to satiate the urge to play.

The problem I got is the trackball games, centepede and the like are unpossible to play. 

I guess I should go the mouse route..... lame
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

I,Galactus

I,Galactus

Instant Dan

Anytime you guys are in Houston, you should visit this.

http://www.joystixamusements.com/

grimniggzy

Went to a house show in west philly last night and they had a Golden Tee Golf 3D arcade.
Kinda like this but an older version...

agent of change

Can anyone identify this game? I snapped some pics from this abandoned building I found out in rural western NC, must have been an arcade. This shot isn't one I'll use in an art show, but it shows the side and controls the best.

We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

socket

I spent probably an hour trying to figure out what game that is, AoC. Driving me crazy. Looks so familiar.

socket