What the fuck should I make for dinner

Started by yeezuz, September 30, 2011, 01:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Gonna make an onion burger but mine won't be correct - I don't have sharp knives so I can't cut the onion paper thin, and my patty will be 8 ounces, thicker than what they do on TV.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

No sharp knives?  No problem. Just use your French mandolin.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

divide the patty in half and do 2 quarter pound patties

Lumpy

So the burger stuck to the pan, and I couldn't scrape up all the brown bits. Big headache. I greased the pan with olive oil, next time I'll use a mix of butter and olive oil. The meat is ground sirloin, 80% lean. There should have been enough fat in the meat not to stick, except I pressed it pretty hard onto the hot pan.

Even so, it was really good! If the beef didn't stick and the brown crust would have made it onto the bun, it probably would have been spectacular. The onions cook pretty well this way. I have another 8 oz. of hamburger that I froze until later this week. I'll try it again. Even without pressing the meat super flat, trapping the onions under the meat is a good method. In the past I would spend 20-30 minutes sauteeing onions separately, to add on top.

Also, I used a Kaiser roll. Not bad, but a potato bun would have been better.

renfield

Lumpy

Yeah, a 12 inch sautee pan that I use for almost everything.

renfield

Yeah.. some people can get it to detach from the stainless steel with the right combination of heat and fat composition I suppose. I can't get consistent results on anything but teflon or cast iron.

Lumpy

Sometimes I've had good results from reducing the heat by a lot, or turning it off for a couple of minutes, and then the food will release from the pan. I didn't try that here.

Lumpy

It wasn't necessary to cut the onions "paper thin". Cutting them "regular thin" with an average knife worked just fine.

Overall, it's a good method for hamburgers. I'll do it again.

RAGER

I only use stainless for poaching or braising or deep frying. Cast iron or carbon steel for searing and sautéing.

I still wanna know about the mowing in that video.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Cast iron is the only way to go for smashers otherwise you get the probs lumpy got.

RAGER

Carbon steel works too. After all that is what a flattop griddle us made of.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I'll probably get a carbon steel pan, although stainless steel has worked fine as long as I don't keep the heat really high. I think that's where I could have made the onion burger work (less heat). I can make omelette in that stainless steel pan and no sticking, as long as the heat isn't high. So stainless steel isn't ideal for getting a brown crust.

RAGER

It is if you're also using that pan to braise in too 😉
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

RAGER

pollo arrosto con linguine, funghi e prosciutto

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: renfield on December 17, 2020, 03:14:12 PM
You can put all sorts of crazy shit in meatloaf. A can of cream of mushroom soup. Any veggies you're trying to get rid of.

I did, all sorts; lol

Ground beef
Pearled barley
Fermented soy bean
Portabello mushroom
White onion 2 kinds
Pecorino
Worcestershire sauce
One egg
One Small oyster
Cabernet
Brown rice (leftovers)
Cinnamon powder
Cumin powder
Kosher salt
Dried onion flakes
Peanut oil - thought I needed some fat? Only had bacon on hand.

Seems I needed breadcrumbs, terrible for slicing/presentation. Flavor was Fine, actually super balanced, everything came through but only lightly not heavy at all. Gravy from drippings added beef boulion, butter. Need to work on my gravy. Dang hearty dish though

Garlic butter potatoes, tastes like the butter popcorn you'd get a the movies.
supposed to be two tight slices. Did the two but too chunky. /comical

RAGER

Some bread crumbs would've held it together.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

I got no prob with the presentation. Only gets better with every bong hit.

RAGER

Oklahoma onion burgers. A pictorial process.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Muffin Man

What do I do with two jars of oysters? I've rinsed them, back in the fridge until I figure out whether to fry as usual and/or do some sort of bake? No shells and no spinach on hand Any ideas?

mortlock

i have no clue. id have to google it, then spend the next 6 hours trying to find a recipe i could pull off.

renfield

I dunno about "on hand" but I'm pretty excited to put some oysters in my next kimchi attempt

RAGER

Make oyster dressing with saltines. Freeze what you don't eat for later. Simple ingredients.
No Focus Pocus