Started by The Shocker, October 01, 2011, 05:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

This is my go to hot sauce:

This is what I use when I want some real heat:

Just picked this up today:

Used it on some eggs at lunch, yum!

This one is kind of limited use, but in the right circumstances it's great:

Great with beef, pour it over a block of cream cheese & serve with crackers - instant appetizer.

What you like?   

mortlock

my go to is split between traditional tobasco sauce and franks red hot..i like the tobasco for eggs and chicken. the franks red hot is amazing on a 'plate'..goes great with burgers and dogs and mac salad..great on dirty rice too..

the best is the legendary 'meat' hot sauce from rochester ny..made famous on the garbage plate..another rochester legend..

The Shocker

That meat sauce is considered hot sauce?  Whatever it is, it looks delish.  BTW, I toured the Tobasco factory one time.  The smell was heaven.

MikeyT

I've used these three for years, & basically didn't much care which one I was using. They were interchangeable for me. However, I've finally changed my mind:

^  It seems like most people I talk to favor Tabasco sauce.

However, I prefer this one.  ^   I used think it must be inferior to Tabasco because it's usually cheaper around here; but after trying both again recently; I knew Louisiana was my fave.
BTW, I eat pepper sauce on something pretty much every day. I usually sling a few shots in my pintos, but eggs/omelets & other foods get the treatment on occasion.

^ Used this for a long time, and it's not bad. In fact I have a bottle right now, but after running out & having to use Louisiana HS last time & then going back to Tapatio, I've got to say Louisiana tastes better to me, and it's also hotter. I'll probably try to keep a bottle on hand, but from now on, Louisiana HS will be my main gun.

Haven't managed to try any of the more exotic hot sauces so far, but maybe I can get some good suggestions from this thread.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

RAGER

I make my own too but these are a few of my go toos.

No Focus Pocus

tossom

Use this the whole time.

One of you guys recommended this to me and it is now my favourite:

My wife got me this recently:

Jalapeno Death Sauce, Original Death Sauce, Blair's After Death Hot Sauce and Blair's Sudden Death Hot.  The sudden death one is best, hottest out of the 4!

"Beige rock"

The Shocker

Quote from: MikeyT on October 02, 2011, 01:17:10 AM
I've used these three for years, & basically didn't much care which one I was using. They were interchangeable for me. However, I've finally changed my mind:

^  Most people I talk to seem to favor Tabasco sauce.

However, I prefer this one.  ^   I used think it must be inferior to Tabasco because it's usually cheaper around here; but after trying both again recently; I knew Louisiana was my fave.
BTW, I eat pepper sauce on something pretty much every day. I usually sling a few shots in my pintos, but eggs/omelets & other foods get the treatment on occasion.

^ I used this for a long time, and it's not bad. In fact I have a bottle right now. But after running out & having to use Louisiana HS last time & then going back to Tapatio, I've got to say Louisiana tastes better to me, and it's also hotter. I'll probably try to keep a bottle on hand, but from now on, Louisiana HS will be my main gun.

Haven't managed to try any of the more exotic hot sauces so far, but maybe I can get some good suggestions from this thread.

Honestly, I think with Tabasco you are paying for the name somewhat.  Here in MS, Louisiana Hot Sauce seems to be more popular.

justinhedrick

i have that pain is good sauce. it's pretty hot. i really like mixing it with standard bbq sauce. it's awesome.

I,Galactus

I'm a big fan of the original Cholula.  I'm going to look for that chili & lime at the store today.  Thanks for the heads up, deaner!

Dudes at work have been digging out the ghost pepper stuff.  Pretty tasty, but a little dab'll do ya!

I'm also all about the Sriracha, or as I affectionately call it, "hot cock sauce."   ;D

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

GodShifter

Sriracha and the original Cholula for me. The chili & lime sounds awesome to me, too.

khoomeizhi

i make my own mostly...marie sharps rules, too. the hab/nopal one.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

The Shocker

Yeah I like the taste of the cock (sauce) too.  And that little jar of thick pepper sauce that they make.

RAGER

The paste in the jar I've been using for at least 20 years.  Good stuff.

Also a big fan of El Yucateco.

i notice allot of you guys like the vinegary stuff like Tabasco and Franks bung burner
No Focus Pocus

The Shocker

Quote from: RAGER on October 02, 2011, 12:43:12 PM
The paste in the jar I've been using for at least 20 years.  Good stuff.

Also a big fan of El Yucateco.

i notice allot of you guys like the vinegary stuff like Tabasco and Franks bung burner

Yes, love the vinegary stuff.  Like these too:

These go well with any type of greens and various peas (field peas, black eyed peas).

MikeyT

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 02, 2011, 10:09:50 AM
i have that pain is good sauce. it's pretty hot. i really like mixing it with standard bbq sauce. it's awesome.

Had some cheap ham I was using for sandwiches; but didn't eat it as quickly as I usually do, so it was getting ready to 'turn'. It wasn't there yet, but I knew it didn't have long. Washed the ooze off it & it smelled fine, so I knew it was safe. I didn't want even a hint of bad to trouble my tastebuds, though; so I shot some pepper sauce on it, and then added Head Country Barbecue sauce (very good sauce, btw).
  It was indeed awesome.  ;D

peoplething

This is the best I've ever had

It's not loaded with vinegar, which I prefer if I'm using it as a condiment. The vinegar kinda kills the taste of the peppers for me.

I'm not really into the super mega hot stuff anymore. I had a bottle of Blair's Sudden Death (50k Scoville Units I think?) in the fridge for years, used mostly for cooking. 1 Teaspoon of that stuff in a gallon of chilli had plenty of heat and you weren't in pain the next day.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Jor el

Plus you get a little cowboy hat for the kitty.
What Would Scooby Do ?

MikeyT

^ Strangelight must be smaller than I thought.

The Shocker

Yeah, I'm not into the heat for heat itself.  It's gotta have flavor.

mortlock

i got to give the louisiana hot sauce another chance..

The Shocker

Quote from: mortlock on October 03, 2011, 12:21:50 AM
i got to give the louisiana hot sauce another chance..

I'd say that Louisiana Hot Sauce is more of a flavor enhancer - it's not that hot.

MikeyT

It's not OVERLY hot- in fact I'd say it's just about perfect, and the flavor is good.

And it's CHEAP !

OK, add all that together and what do you have?

neighbor664

It's nothing terribly obscure or anything but I've tried allot of hot sauces and I like the Paul Prudome(sp?) hot sauce. It's not very spicy but very flavorful and low in salt/sodium.

RAGER

i forgot about Aardvark sauce.  Really good stuff.

No Focus Pocus

I,Galactus

Alright deaner, fess up!  Where the hell d'you find that Cholula Chili Lime sauce?  ???

I've scoured numerous "Hispanic Food" sections and sauce/vinegar aisles to no avail.   :(
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"