Thai food

Started by deleted account, April 25, 2012, 06:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

i had a thai soup once that looked like it had blades of grass in it..it was awesome..there was a killer homemade hot sauce on the table as well..

MadJohnShaft

I like the soup and fried chicken wings.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

yeezuz

Quote from: mortlock on May 14, 2012, 12:30:12 AM
i had a thai soup once that looked like it had blades of grass in it..it was awesome..there was a killer homemade hot sauce on the table as well..
i bet it was lemongrass. Thai soups often have a great mix of sour and hotness and then the coconut milk smooths it all out.

Demon Lung

I used to eat at this good Thai joint in Germany. Haven't really had it since though

Lumpy

I was in SE Asia for a couple weeks -- Thailand and Cambodia. If you want your Thai food spicy, tell the waitress "pet-pet" when you place your order (means very spicy).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Chovie D

welcome back Lumpster!

Im learning some thai from the young lady here at work.
pom put thai dai need noy (spelling probably way off).

arroy means delicious...
pom mai chop tofu "i dont like tofu!"
Pom hue cow!! "im hungry for rice" apparently the word for rice and the word for food are trhe same word?

what was the weirdest thing you ate? the most deliciousest?
tell all!

Lumpy

I had an awesome salad (medium spicy) with pomelo (like grapefruit but milder) and dried shrimps (plus onions, cilantro, cherry tomato, etc.). That was probably the most memorable thing I ate, because it seemed so unusual.

A few good Tom Yum Gung's (spicy hot/sour soup with shrimp). You can find good Tom Yum everywhere.

A few good Som Tum's (green papaya salad). Easy to find there. The Thais really like theirs' spicy (here in the US they make it mild, or medium at the hottest). I learned that sticky rice is eaten with your fingers, and you dip it into your Som Tum sauce (not for curries though, that's eaten with reg. steamed rice).

Larb (Laab) was very good, it's the first time I've liked Laab (cold salad with minced meat). Spicy! Laab Moo (pork) is tastier than Laab Gai (chicken). I haven't like Laab before, in the USA. Larb has to be spicy, otherwise it's boring.

The Thais like to eat Poo (crab). Just felt like mentioning that.

I thought I would eat a lot of street food. I ate some street food, but went to regular restaurants a lot too, because
- it's nice to get out of the heat
- sitting on a plastic footstool at a flimsy table, in a grimy alley or on a street that smells like sewage is not that exciting
- restaurants are easier for foreigners. Some of the outdoor stalls had no writing in English alphabet (Thais have their own alphabet) and I didn't know enough Thai to feel comfortable ordering (I did a couple of times though, when it was obvious what was being offered).

The food that got me in trouble was Laab Moo and Som Tum, both "pet pet" (unless it was a bad shrimp in my soup). Tasted delicious but I couldn't handle it the next day. I'm not a spicy food fanatic at home, so taking it up while traveling wasn't a good idea.

This is the off-season for fruit right now, so not that much stuff looked appealing, but I tried some durian. It was good, but I'll be fine if I don't eat it again. I brought leftovers back to my hotel, and it really did stink up my mini-fridge. They had some small pineapples that were in season, and very tasty. Dragon fruit was good (mild, not very flavorful).

I really like sticky rice with mango. Dessert food, very filling. (Khao Nieow Mamueng I think). They put a little coconut milk on it.

Khao Soi was awesome. Soft rice noodles in a yellow curry coconut broth, with crispy fried noodles on top. Soup, but overloaded with noodles. Not too hot, but spicy like Indian food is (lots of warmth and complexity). Very satisfying.

The Khmer (Cambodian) food was lame in comparison to Thai food. Cambodia is super poor, so that might explain why their cuisine is not that interesting.

Aroi Mak-Mak = very delicious (aroy mock-mock)

Chovie D

mustve been an amazing experience. I dont think I'd have the patience for the plane ride or the culture shock (dont fucking stand so close to me!!!! etc)

yeezuz

awesome, tastes like you had a great time. hope you made it to a beach and got an eye full of lovely lady boys.

Cambodia used to be famous for shroom and weed infused food, but no more?

mutantcolors

By the grace of Sweet baby Jeebs, I'll be there from Aug - May (not May-Aug!) so I'll be more than happy to report on this subject.

Chovie D

wow, eating some shroom cakes in cambodia would be quite a ...trip...for lack of a better word.

The thai girl here tells me "ped" with a d, means spicy.
I need her to teach me some sexy words...she has an incredible rack  ;)

Lumpy

Pad Thai is pronounce Pot Thai. Ped = Pet because they don't aspirate certain letters (it's a hard stop but I guess a little bit rounded like a D too). Aspirate meaning give the sound a full breath. It's not "ped(uh)" like we would say in English. It's chopped.

I'm sure I'm pronouncing everything wrong. But tell your Thai friend to shut up. Actually, ask her how to pronounce Chao Phraya (the river which runs through BKK) I couldn't figure it out. Jow Prya is what I was using, and I got a blank look in response, this one time.

Quote from: xina on January 07, 2013, 11:24:16 AM
awesome, tastes like you had a great time. hope you made it to a beach and got an eye full of lovely lady boys.

Cambodia used to be famous for shroom and weed infused food, but no more?

I just found out about "Happy Pizza" and "Smile Pizza" -- but I didn't know about that when I was there. So I guess they are still doing it.

Chovie D

the inflections at the end are difficult to remember for a whitey like me.
plus the rack is distracting.  I will ask about your river

yeezuz

let's also ask her to teach you how to say Bangkok in Thai. Krung Thep Maha Nakhon???

all i learned was 'hello' and 'thank you'

did you make it to Ayutthaya or up north at all? Sukhothai was gorgeous with all the temple ruins. Chang Mai and Chang Rai are a long ass way, but worth imo if you're beached out, love trekking or want to ride on methed out elephants

yeezuz

Quote from: mutantcolors on January 07, 2013, 03:01:38 PM
By the grace of Sweet baby Jeebs, I'll be there from Aug - May (not May-Aug!) so I'll be more than happy to report on this subject.
Cambodia or Thailand? i suppose that regardless of which one, you'll make it to both by the end of that long a stay. lucky you, is this a holiday or work?

I still want to see Laos, Cambodia and Bhutan, my biggest misses on SE Asia traveling.

Chovie D

pom put thai dai need noy!
;)

Banghkok=Grung Tep

Chao Phraya=Jao Praya (jow pri-yah)

I didnt have the courage to ask how to say "incredible gravity defying boobies"  :(

GodShifter

Any chance you can get her to put em' on the glass or does that scream "sexual harassment lawsuit/Chovie gets fired"  ???

Lumpy

Quote from: xina on January 08, 2013, 09:55:08 AM
let's also ask her to teach you how to say Bangkok in Thai. Krung Thep Maha Nakhon???

all i learned was 'hello' and 'thank you'

did you make it to Ayutthaya or up north at all? Sukhothai was gorgeous with all the temple ruins. Chang Mai and Chang Rai are a long ass way, but worth imo if you're beached out, love trekking or want to ride on methed out elephants

The Thai name for Bangkok is insanely long, like 36 words or something.

Khun Sway Mak (you are very beautiful). Mak Mak Mak!

I went to Chiang Mai for a few days, that was nice. Biggest town in north Thailand (1.5 or 2 million people). There's an overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai with bunks, so you save on a hotel room (and cheaper than flying) but it was all sold out, so I had to fly. Next time I'll try Ayutthaya (the ancient city, y'all). If there is a next time. Maybe some beach areas, I dunno.

It's inexpensive to be there, the biggest expense is just getting there.

Chovie D

Quote from: GodShifter on January 08, 2013, 02:40:08 PM
Any chance you can get her to put em' on the glass or does that scream "sexual harassment lawsuit/Chovie gets fired"  ???

fired and her husband is a big strong guy too so getting em on the glass is  probably not in the cards.

Chovie D

from google:
The name Bangkok ( ?????? ) is generally only used by foreigners. The Thai people refer to it as Krung Thep ( ??????? )

Its not well known that Bangkok has the longest name for a city in the world. The full name is as follows;

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

????????????? ??????????????? ???????????? ????????? ?????????????????????? ????????????????????? ????????????????? ??????????????????????????????

But ofcourse the Thai people shorten it to simply 'Krung Thep'

thanks for the mak mak, I will try to work it into conversation (regarding her breasts) casuaully.

edit: I guess this site doesnt like Thai characters...all those confused smileys were thai characters.

mutantcolors

Quote from: xina on January 08, 2013, 09:57:54 AM
Quote from: mutantcolors on January 07, 2013, 03:01:38 PM
Cambodia or Thailand? i suppose that regardless of which one, you'll make it to both by the end of that long a stay. lucky you, is this a holiday or work?

I still want to see Laos, Cambodia and Bhutan, my biggest misses on SE Asia traveling.

My senior year of school. Then the plan is to be freshly graduated and free of immediate responsibility in Bangkok, which will lead to some globetrotting. A Nepalese Himalayan trek is priority #1 but yes, I and my cohort intend on seeing all we can in the region, move West until we hit the Atlantic, ferry across to S. America, basically taking out sweet ass time. My only financial concern will be servicing student loan payments that come due 6mos after graduation.

Lumpy

Good website for detailed info on traveling by train in SE Asia (and elsewhere):

http://www.seat61.com/

Overnight trains seem like a good idea for short hops, especially if they are overnight. But I don't know, I haven't done it yet.

Chovie D

I told my thai friend Khun sway Mak...she liked it *boner!

yeezuz

Quote from: Lumpy on January 08, 2013, 03:04:23 PM
Good website for detailed info on traveling by train in SE Asia (and elsewhere):

Overnight trains seem like a good idea for short hops, especially if they are overnight. But I don't know, I haven't done it yet.
i think they are a great idea, especially if you have limited time or want to save some dough. overnight trains and buses can be overly-air conditioned. no matter how hot it is outside, take a hoodie or long sleeved t with you. i once had to sleep with my head and arms inside my t-shirt.

Chovie D

Quote from: xina on January 10, 2013, 10:43:44 AM
Quote from: Lumpy on January 08, 2013, 03:04:23 PM

i once had to sleep with my head and arms inside my t-shirt.

hawt!