Thai food

Started by deleted account, April 25, 2012, 06:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deleted account

I only ever order red curry and pad se ew/ pad ke mao.  I've had green and yellow and pumpkin curries before, and they're good but I'm stickin' with red.  what else should I try? 

ps- don't say pad thai

Lumpy

Green papaya salad (som tam) - spicy or mild (mild can be boring, or it can be a good break from the heat. Depends...)

Soups! Tom Ka Kai (tom kha gai?) coconut, galangal, lemongrass, mushrooms, chicken if you want it
Tom Yum (sorta like hot & sour I guess). Chicken or shrimp or tofu.

Basil chicken (an old standard). Anything 'Pad Prik' is spicy and good. I like anything with catfish. I like the raw beef salad (spicy). I like everything, basically. I guess I'm not a huge fan of Larb (a cold salad with ground chicken or meat).

Usually the problem with Thai food is that it's not prepared very well, not that the recipes aren't good. I would order all across the menu, if you have a restaurant that makes good Thai food. Try everything.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

neighbor664

Dishes with meat in them taste best.  :-*

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Quote from: RAGER on April 25, 2012, 10:03:03 PM
Prik Pork King

No need to insult him, just answer the question.

;)

libertycaps

Thai massage>Thai food.
There. I said it. I'm fucking sick of generic Thai food.
Then again i've lived in Portland, Orey-gun for over 2 decades.

El Zombre

Green Papaya salad with raw blue crab. Not raw, more like cured - with soy sauce, vinegar, or lemon juice. But anyway, I like it a lot when I can get it.

mertz

Great Thai food here in LA. I go every Thursday nights with my girlfriends.

GodShifter

I love Thai food, but I'm certainly no expert on the stuff. I always get a seafood dish with red curry from my favorite restaurant. It's hot as hell, but I dig it. The spices are amazing.

RAGER

Quote from: Lumpy on April 25, 2012, 10:38:28 PM
Quote from: RAGER on April 25, 2012, 10:03:03 PM
Prik Pork King

No need to insult him, just answer the question.

;)

Or you could get the Phat Yum Prik
No Focus Pocus

deleted account

here's the dealio:  I've got a voucher for $40 worth at this place http://champagarden.com/appetizers.htm that I paid $20 for hella days ago and I have to use it Sat. cuz it expires the next day and Sat. is the pig-out day.  it's mainly Thai but they do Laotian and some Vietanamese as well.  so tell me what you'd get off their menu if you were gonna try to eat $40 worth in one sitting

Lumpy

Everything looks awesome.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Lumpy

I like Opart Thai in Chicago (on Western Ave. in Lincoln Square). I think that's the best Thai food I've had.

In New York I like Sripriphai in Woodside, and Zabb Elee in Jackson Heights.

mertz

Quote from: mertz on April 26, 2012, 01:05:37 AM
Great Thai food here in LA. I go every Thursday nights with my girlfriends.

Lumpy

In the pepper thread, I read that you (Priest) like hot peppers, so you should request your food "Thai spicy". They usually tone it down for the gringos. I think "Tiger Cry" and "Jungle Curry" are supposed to be hot (?)

yeezuz

Lad Na is my favorite dish when it's prepared correctly. at home, i make chicken satay and green coconut curries. Thai tea and sticky rice with mango too, yum! this makes me miss Thailand a lot. :|

deleted account

yeah, I told the dude I wanted everything super, super spicy.  what came back was not even close.  thankfully, they had the full compliment of Thai condiments on the table, but it's not the same.  I want that shit cooked into the food.

the food was good but not holy shit good.  my bill came to $58.  Beer Laos were only $2.50 so I had 4.

the best Thai food I ever had is still in Yreka, CA

yeezuz

Quote from: priest on April 30, 2012, 03:45:03 PM
yeah, I told the dude I wanted everything super, super spicy.  what came back was not even close.  thankfully, they had the full compliment of Thai condiments on the table, but it's not the same.  I want that shit cooked into the food.

the food was good but not holy shit good.  my bill came to $58.  Beer Laos were only $2.50 so I had 4.

the best Thai food I ever had is still in Yreka, CA
i used to go to this little Thai place up in Denton, can't recall the name, but on the menu they had the pepper rating. you know, one pepper is not so spicy, 3 peppers is HOT and so on. the hottest you could order something was 6 peppers, it was called Lenny Kravitz hot. have no idea why, i should have asked.

next time, if it's not hot enough - send it back, that will convince to unleash the pepper arsenal on you

GodShifter

Do you remember where it is/was at, xina? To my knowledge, there is one by the university (that has dirt cheap prices) -- on West Hickory. Then there's one out by the mall called Sweet Basil and then another called Thai Ocha on Malone. Could be one of those or none, because that's all the ones I'm aware of here.

Lumpy

Next time, tell the waiter you want it "Thai spicy", then pick up a bottle of Sriracha and squirt it into your eyes. They'll know you mean business.

yeezuz

Quote from: GodShifter on April 30, 2012, 06:48:29 PM
Do you remember where it is/was at, xina? To my knowledge, there is one by the university (that has dirt cheap prices) -- on West Hickory. Then there's one out by the mall called Sweet Basil and then another called Thai Ocha on Malone. Could be one of those or none, because that's all the ones I'm aware of here.
\
the last time i was there was probably 7 years ago or so, it is (was) in the same shopping center where swenson's used to be (ok that's been gone for like a decade). it's behind Maple Hall. i've been to the one on Hickory too. like you said, dirt cheap.

PAD THAI - i have no tolerance for your arbitrary holier than thou rules. PAD THAI is best eaten with tiny sticks that resemble chop sticks, but aren't really...while sitting on a crusty curb...just spent your last 40 bhat...waiting for the monks to come holding their alms bowls while you look at beautiful she males with real boobs. it's amazing what 40 bhat and some estrogen will get you on the street. PAD THAI.

yeezuz

i think i forgot to mention PAD THAI

I,Galactus

Quote from: xina on May 01, 2012, 09:20:30 AM
PAD THAI - i have no tolerance for your arbitrary holier than thou rules. PAD THAI is best eaten with tiny sticks that resemble chop sticks, but aren't really...while sitting on a crusty curb...just spent your last 40 bhat...waiting for the monks to come holding their alms bowls while you look at beautiful she males with real boobs. it's amazing what 40 bhat and some estrogen will get you on the street. PAD THAI.

Applauded.  Never been to Thailand, but I love PAD THAI.  Thai hot w/ pork please.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

GodShifter

Quote from: xina on May 01, 2012, 09:20:30 AM
Quote from: GodShifter on April 30, 2012, 06:48:29 PM
\
the last time i was there was probably 7 years ago or so, it is (was) in the same shopping center where swenson's used to be (ok that's been gone for like a decade). it's behind Maple Hall. i've been to the one on Hickory too. like you said, dirt cheap.

Gotcha. I know exactly where you're talking about. Unfortunately, I think that place has closed. Place started with an "S", or something.