Thai food

Started by deleted account, April 25, 2012, 06:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mutantcolors

Prices here reflect the working wages just like anywhere else. It's cheap to me with my American dollars but my $2 dinner last night is a stretch for the full time McDonald's worker pulling in like $200 a month.

The reason it's expensive back home? Because it can be. Plus all the goodies that grow here in abundance have to somehow cross the Pacific. It practically rains shrimp, coconuts and pineapple over here. Thailand is actually the top exporter of pineapple in the world.

MadJohnShaft

More pics of street food please
Some days chickens, some days feathers

deleted account

I'm guessing they also got a shitload of bamboo shoots and lemongrass

mutantcolors

Yes indeed. You order a bowl of tom yam and 1/3 of the solid matter is inedible flavoring agents like finger-sized hunks of ginger, lime leaves and lemongrass. Sounds bad but it's really good. Makes for a hell of a pungent soup.

I wish I could up a pic of street food right now but it's election day and, as such, I had fucking oatmeal for lunch because no one is out selling their goods today.

deleted account

a request (if you're doing them):  order pad kee mao and post a pic

mutantcolors

Khao moo daeng - red pork and rice - with a leg of gai tod, fried chicken obviously. The moo daeng gets done up with a great sweet and sour, and some soy sauce/vinegar/chili blend they make. It's really a Chinese dish but it is everywhere and incredible.

And more of those short ribs with sticky rice from the other night, with the same soy/vinegar/chili sauce.

Lumpy

How come Thai people are mostly slim, when their food is so delicious?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mutantcolors

These are the questions of our time.

MadJohnShaft

When they serve Pad Thai - is it assemble yourself?

Lumpy

Everybody makes Pad Thai slightly differently, I think many people don't understand that. It's kind of loose as far as proportions. When I see people ripping Thai restaurants in reviews, saying "their Pad Thai sucks!" it's only because the dish wasn't prepared their favorite way. Their favorite way is probably the way they tasted it for the first time (so they think it's always supposed to taste exactly like that). Somebody else will love it a different way. Or maybe their Pad Thai does kinda suck, it's probably not something that the cook worries about too much. Pad = fry (griddle). Pad Thai = not very specific.

The best Thai restaurant in Chicago is Opart Thai on Western just north of Lawrence (Linclon Square). At least, it used to be. One of the cooks was amazing (but sometimes it was clear that the regular cook wasn't on duty that day). You seem lucky though. Kinda rustic style, or home style... peanuts roughly chopped (not finely crushed) etc.

mutantcolors

I'm not much into the dish myself, it's not bad at all but I have so many other options at my fingertips. It is quite good with a healthy pile of crushed peanuts, shrimp and lime, I'll say that. At that point I'm eating it for the peanuts, shrimp and lime though.

I'll have to go out to my favorite sit down place and get their unbelievable red curry duck for this thread. By FAR my favorite if I'm going restaurant style.

deleted account

hey mc, what do traditional breakfasts of Thailand consist of?

MadJohnShaft

Lumpy

They eat jok (joke). Kind of like congee, a rice porridge (I've never had either). I dunno what else. Soup maybe?

ez

Thai breakfast is wholly dependent on the region really. Down south they make this amazing dish which is basically rice with all kinds of fruits, spices and other shit piled on top of it and mixed up. No idea what it's called but it's one of the best Asian breakfasts I've come across.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Lumpy

Quote from: ez on February 24, 2014, 10:15:57 AM
Thai breakfast is wholly dependent on the region really. Down south they make this amazing dish which is basically rice with all kinds of fruits, spices and other shit piled on top of it and mixed up. No idea what it's called but it's one of the best Asian breakfasts I've come across.

Moar...

ez

Welp, as you mentioned there's the congee type porridge, that and the breakfast noodle soup are influenced by China most likely. Often breakfast doesn't even differ much from other meals, with rice and various other savoury dishes such as curries or stir-fries being the main part.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Lumpy

How come so many average Thai people are slim? All the food is delicious, lots of noodles, deep fried food, coconut milk, etc. Is it smaller portions? Are some meals just fruit?

ez

In my opinion it has less to do with the diet than with the fact that they have less people over there sitting on their ass in front of a computer all day than we do. All the soft drinks and processed foods we eat don't help much either.

There are fat Thais, and probably even more fat Filipinos - just not as many as in the western world.

deleted account

<object width="100%" height="25" class="hark_player">
<param name="movie" value="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_bar.swf?pid=twrblmkjxt"/>
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/>
<param name="allownetworking" value="all"/>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"/>
<embed src="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_bar.swf?pid=twrblmkjxt" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" width="100%" height="25" wmode="transparent"></embed>
</object>

<a href="http://www.hark.com/clips/twrblmkjxt-ill-bet-youve-got-a-lot-of-nice-ties" style="font-size: 9px; color: #ddd;" title="Listen to  on Hark.com"></a>

deleted account

why can't you embed sound players?  mods- put a team on this