Main Menu

the gig flyer thread

Started by liquidsmoke, January 24, 2013, 03:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cursed71

Please tell me you made that second one!

liquidsmoke

haha, no my buddy Rob made it.

deleted account

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on March 27, 2014, 03:07:39 AM
Use the magic wand tool. Click on the surround area, then find Invert Selection somewhere in your menu. (under "Selection"). If you need to add areas to your selection, hold down the Shift key while using the wand. To subtract areas, on Mac hold the "option" key which I think PC calls "alt".

Wouldn't be a bad idea to watch some Gimp tutorials on Youtube, or Google specific tasks +Gimp.

I'm back at this. Can't find any videos on how to cut out a pre-existing logo. I've tried using the magic wand and inverting the selection and it's just not really doing anything. I'll save it and it saves the logo unchanged. It will highlight the logo(which I have on a white background) but after that I don't know what to do. I will keep looking for videos on this but they all seem to be on how to make logos and how to trace around images to cut them. I suck at anything that involves having to figure anything out. I get stuck over and over and over.

Jake

I personally don't like band logos on flyers, anyway. They usually end up looking garbled and tacky – like many of those ornate (illegible) display fonts do.
poop.

Lumpy

Quote from: liquidsmoke on April 09, 2014, 01:34:55 PM
Quote from: Lumpy on March 27, 2014, 03:07:39 AM
Use the magic wand tool. Click on the surround area, then find Invert Selection somewhere in your menu. (under "Selection"). If you need to add areas to your selection, hold down the Shift key while using the wand. To subtract areas, on Mac hold the "option" key which I think PC calls "alt".

Wouldn't be a bad idea to watch some Gimp tutorials on Youtube, or Google specific tasks +Gimp.

I'm back at this. Can't find any videos on how to cut out a pre-existing logo. I've tried using the magic wand and inverting the selection and it's just not really doing anything. I'll save it and it saves the logo unchanged. It will highlight the logo(which I have on a white background) but after that I don't know what to do. I will keep looking for videos on this but they all seem to be on how to make logos and how to trace around images to cut them. I suck at anything that involves having to figure anything out. I get stuck over and over and over.

Select it like you're doing, copy and paste into a new layer in your master document (create the new layer first).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

If there's no Gimp tutorials, then look for Photoshop tutorials. The interface might look different (?) but the principles should be the same.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on April 09, 2014, 04:58:01 PM
Select it like you're doing, copy and paste into a new layer in your master document (create the new layer first).

Ah, that should help. Will try tonight.

Quote from: Lumpy on April 09, 2014, 04:59:05 PM
If there's no Gimp tutorials, then look for Photoshop tutorials. The interface might look different (?) but the principles should be the same.

There are some and I've been watching them. I'm actually doing okay so far but it's easy to get stuck when trying something on your own without being walked through it with a video.

Lumpy

It is hard to learn on your own, but the only way to get this shit memorized is by banging your head against the desk repeatedly. Then you'll remember. You can PM me with questions if you want.

liquidsmoke

Thanks man. I feel ADHD when working with any new software.

Lumpy

It sucks and I hate it (the learning curve). It's worth it though (Photoshop/Gimp)

Everything goes on it's own layer for flexibility (including the background). Blocks of text that hang together can be on the same layer (name of club, address, website) (doors open, show starts). You can still select the text and resize individual lines/words/letters individually, to make it look nicer, etc. Bigger text = more important, etc.

Lumpy

I'm old school from when people used to wheat-paste flyers on lamp posts etc. Xeroxes, pre-computer. I made a lot of punk rock flyers. I like flyers where you have a strong central image (flaming skull!) and you can see what it's about from 15 feet away (band logos!) Other people seem to like the band names to be more of a detail, with the graphic design being more important... more modern, I think.

liquidsmoke

Made some more progress tonight just messing around but I need to watch more tutorials to get a better understanding.

Am I wrong or is Gimp seriously lacking in weird and cool looking fonts?

Lumpy

You have to load your own fonts into your system's font folder. Gimp should see them (you may have to relaunch Gimp, or restart your machine).

(Try these, some of the fonts are free, some want to be paid for commercial use, etc. I don't think you will get busted but no sense picking a font for a logo that somebody could get in trouble for later. For a one-time flyer, who cares. "We want to use this on our album!" nothing will probably happen but it's awkward.)

huge number of fonts in here, varying in quality http://www.dafont.com

links to font sources http://typophile.com/node/44453?

some metallish Old English and symbols in here: http://nihilum-fonts.tripod.com/nihilum.html

metal fonts here: http://www.fontspace.com/category/heavy+metal

Don't load up with hundreds of fonts you might never use, it can be a pain sorting through them later. Lots of typefaces are similar so if you don't see exactly what you want, keep looking (or chop letters up, draw on top of them etc). Dafont is cool because you can spell out the words you need, and display it in that font, before downloading.

The automatic kerning on free fonts can suck (the space between letters) so that's something else you'll need to learn how to do! (adjust the kerning on individual letters if the spacing looks awkward.)

liquidsmoke

Ah. And thank you. Nihilum has some really good ones.

I was messing around the other day trying to draw band logos as I'm okay at drawing letters.. until I try to make them look psychedelic or metal. Very hard but if I was to spend a few hours on each letter I might be able to make something okay looking happen. How you clean that up digitally I have no idea.

Lumpy

You could take your logo into Photoshop and add stuff, cut things away (selection tools/delete), clean up the edges (or warble them), add dirt ("distressed" look) etc. If you think it will help...

If you can hand-draw your logo, that is better than Photoshop. Anybody can use fonts, but hardly anybody can draw. If it looks too home-grown, polish it up in Gimp.

Jake

poop.

eyeprod

CV - Slender Fungus

AgentofOblivion

I actually paid someone to do it this time.  It was a wise choice.  Going to print up some high quality 11x17s and try to sell at the show.  What's left will be framed and hung on the wall by the band members. 

eyeprod

CV - Slender Fungus

mortlock

khoomeizhi

let's dispense the unpleasantries

JemDooM

Quote from: mortlock on April 23, 2014, 12:51:28 AM

love this one! john used to do loads in this style a while back its weird to see something so similar!
DooM!