The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

so i saw this thing on line. it looks good and id def try it. i never worked with a parm crisp for the cheese. im interested. caught my attention for sure.

Muffin Man

hmmm, nice find. am i looking at lox or some kinda thin salmon top layer left? hopefully vinegar and oil with those tomatoes underneath. i will try to copy the sub since i need that and neee to move some parm, just have to see if i can fry it into one piece.

RAGER

Frico is easy. Just pile some parm on parchment paper and pat down a little and bake until it melts and flattens out. Let cool. Frico!
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

On Saturday I'm cooking for 7 people.  Nothing extravagant, just casual for some friends we haven't seen in quite a while.  Mainly my wife's friends really.  To make it easy and because it is what was requested it will be carnitas tacos, black beans, pinto beans, and a jicama or kohlrabi salad of some sort.  Chips, guac, salsa.  And a small batch of poblano tacos for one that doesn't eat meat.  Yes she loves to tell people she's vegetarian.  Oh yeah and maybe a small batch of sikil pak.

Already made the hot sauce yesterday so it'll be nice and melded by Saturday.  Everything else will be scratch made the day before.  Should be fun.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

That time of year when a lot of fresh fruit is in season. Peaches from NJ for example, seems like a short window for sweet ones that are ripe/almost ripe but not already too ripe/soft/mealy (one month? Maybe two?) Watermelon, berries etc are prime. I love fruit. Haven't seen much good-looking blueberries, hmm.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Heckin' A, that's what I'm talking about.

RAGER

Ended up being a few more people on Saturday.  Great time but a lot of work.  Everybody had a great time and got fairly hammered from my batch margaritas.

It only took a couple of my super special Rageritas to work their magic to bring out the merriment. I was showing one of the guys my amps and then everybody was in my jam room having a go on the drums. Sorry no pics of that.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

anything goes at this point. only your imagination limits you.

Lumpy

Toaster grilled cheese quick and dirty. Make toast, the second the bread pops up slap them together with a slice of cheese in between. If you do it fast and press down, the cheese will melt enough.

RAGER

Fun recipe I'm doing today.

Sichuan Hot Chicken.

Recipe below. I had everything needed on hand. Though I'm using breast meat instead.

https://food52.com/recipes/86067-sichuan-hot-chicken
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

You ever heard of corn ribs?  I'm making those too.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Muffin Man

Nice pics. I like that corn rib idea. Stellar cukes! How was the chicken? Hot?

RAGER

Yeah the chicken was hot and crunchy. A bit f a process but fun. Did you check out the recipe?  Mala spices. That last pic is the mala chili paste that your pour over or brush on right before serving.

Yeah those corn ribs are cool. Any flavor you want. I did a spicy five spice thing.

Cukes were smashed and bathed in Chianking black vinegar, my Szechuan chili oil, and some maggi.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Yes, I sure did! have all ingredients on hand except need that doubanjiang, anise for the Mala, sake, rice wine vinegar, potato starch, ginger and cilantro.

Oh, and my chicken is boneless (thighs). I'll probably take a swing at it but modified with fewer ingredients, try the galangal, etc.

I'm wondering how I would fry since my Lodge is only 2". I've looked at a deep fryer from time to time. I really should get one....next time I'm at the warehouse club I'll look at the 5-gal oils to see if I'm daring enough for it! I could use it for tempura, oysters, bacon wrapped hot dogs (lol, Not)...

Thank again, chef!

RAGER

I wouldn't skimp on the ingredients or it won't have that Szechuan/mala flavor profile. Def don't use galangal.

Don't really need sake. I used shaosing wine.

Here's a link for douban jiang
https://themalamarket.com/products/red-oil-pixian-chili-bean-paste-hong-you-doubanjiang?_pos=1&_sid=e2895110c&_ss=r

If you have a saucepan you can use that to give some more depth and fry in batches. Just keep the pieces warm in the oven.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Something I've been wanting for quite a while. Just got it from Mala Market.

CAIZIYOU. Roasted rapeseed oil. Adds to the real Szechuan flavor.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

looks official. I guess I need some of that now but just restocked peanut oil.

RAGER

If you're serious. Get some.  Otherwise it's not necessary.
No Focus Pocus