The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

The move has begun.  I will soon have the kitchen my way.  Some serious projects coming soon.  Somebody say snails??
No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

Mmmm I haven't tried snails are they nice? I ordered them last time I was in France but when they came they were clams, I definetly ordered 'escargot' though, nm...

Tonight I had this scallop, cheese and leek pastry I found in the freezer in work it was amazing to say the least, I'm gonna make one myself soon yum...
DooM!

Ryno

Quote from: RAGER on April 26, 2013, 09:36:28 AM
Thank you sir.  I dream of gas.

Haha.  I have become a pro on the electric stove.  But I dream of the day I can cook on gas.  Which may be very soon since we're moving.  The only reason I've been successful with the electric stove is because I have a couple of really old, really bitchin cast iron pans and griddles.  They get hot, stay hot and cook evenly.  Can't recommend them enough.  But they require an extra level of care that most folks don't want to deal with.  Kind of like good knives.

I'm a big believer in flipping steaks once.  Super hot grill or pan for a few minutes a side, depending on thickness. Never use a fork to flip, only tongs.  Always let them rest at room temp for 20-30 mins before cooking and only season with salt and pepper, but NEVER put the salt on until right before they go on the heat.  Then pull them when you think they're a little rare and let them sit and rest.  They'll continue to cook a bit after they're off the heat. 

My favorite prep for a filet, New York strip, or ribeye is to sear the shit out of the steak in a super hot skillet, pull it off the stove, crumble some blue or Gorgonzola on top, then toss the pan in a preheated oven, or toaster oven, on broil for a few more minutes. 

Ruth's Chris ain't got shit on me. 
Except for the dry aging. 
Nothing beats a well aged piece of meat.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

Ryno

Yes, Rager!  All of those are spot on.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

JemDooM

mmmm I made rocket, goats cheese and walnut pesto again tonight, I think its my favourite food, made enough to last 3 lunches and 3 dinners for two of us....

heres what else I made recently,,,....

Butternut Squash, shallot and garlic, roasted, blended half into a soup with stock and leeks, and used the rest in wraps that night with home made tzatziki, butterhead lettuce, tomato salsa and feta cheese, it was a weird combination but it worked ;)

The next night I made wraps again but this time with roast beetroot, mushrooms, garlic, courgettes & cherry tomatoes, they were amazing yum!

wrap stuff...

DooM!

RAGER

Seems like everything I want to make tonight I'm missing like one ingredient.  And I'm not going to the stupid store. I feel some fusion cooking coming on I think.
No Focus Pocus

deleted account

I verbalized the Fart Soup recipe to two chicks today who both wrote it down.  all cooking steps, all the way to Fart Casserole

RAGER

But did you offer in person technical support cuz that's the way you "do it".
No Focus Pocus

deleted account

these chicks were taken, man, like even harder than Crump's chicks

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

MichaelZodiac

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

RAGER

I no cook tonight.  My girl is making chicken and dumplings.  Fuk YYes!!.

Shit weather calls for chicken and dumplings.  How's your weather Chovie? D.
No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

that bong smoked oyster thing blows my mind! I thought it was with actual weed at first until I read it, that's a lot of effort, theyre actually individually hand smoked oysters!
DooM!

JemDooM

Im making these huge wedges to go with burgers n salad, I think they're all bigger than my hands! and the burgers! They have sea salt, paprika and olive oil on them mmmmmmmm, gonna dip them in mayo and extra smokey bbq sauce..... *drool*
DooM!

RAGER

Jem, can you get this stuff in ol' blitey?

No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

Quote from: RAGER on May 22, 2013, 09:02:33 PM
I no cook tonight.  My girl is making chicken and dumplings.  Fuk YYes!!.

Shit weather calls for chicken and dumplings.  How's your weather Chovie? D.

weather is grey and wet in Seattle proper, all week long. lookin like all weekend long too.

sweet odins raven I am hungover this morning  :'(

RAGER

Light reprieve from the rain today.  I limited myself to 1 beer 2 margaritas and a shot last night.
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

drank mot of a bottle oif wine, then decided it would be a good idea to have a bigfoot...thats what is causing the damage and regret this morn.  I could use that english breakie now

tossom

Food disaster :(

Spent a good hour and a half today making a chicken korma and a chili balti from scratch, only to find the chicken I added was off.  Wife assured me the chicken would be fine as she got it on friday, I have cold thus minimal/no sense of smell so trusted her judgement on it.  Not her fault, the date said it was ok til the 27th - the problem is the shop it came from.  Will most definitely take a chance on meat from there again, wasn't exactly cheap so quite pissed off.

>:(

Fuck it, time for a beer or 10.

"Beige rock"

RAGER

Specifics please.  What was off about it?
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Not feeling very inspired recently.  Although last night I did make a pretty killer chorizo stew with potatoes and zucchini.  Made extra rich with some carnitas cooking liquid from a couple weeks ago.  gonna start a chicken stock with feet here in a minute.  That's always soothing.  Got a couple friends coming over tonight and I really don;t feel like doing it up so I'm just gonna make some snacky stuff and serve some cheese.  fuck it.  the weather probably has something to do with it.  it was so nice a couple weeks ago and now it's raining like an inch a day.
No Focus Pocus