The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

RAGER, hope your ribs mend easy. Man those cracked ones are tender, I did that once and that was enough!

RAGER

God I haven't slept for shit in a week and a half.

I'm developing dirty dumplings. Don't let the urban dictionary definition ruin it for you. ????
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Made dirty dumplings last night. Forgot to take a pic dammit. Basically steamed and the seared crispy on the bottoms of course. Then a sauce of Szechuan chili oil, Chiu chow oil, soy sauce, and chianking black vinegar. Adorned with fried garlic, fried shallots, chopped kimchi, scallions, black and white sesame seeds, and a little sesame oil.

Other variations could include fermented soy beans, dried shrimp, Jinhua ham, tofu, furikake, sachimi togarashi, nori, etc.....

Next time I'll take a pic.

It's my weekend tomorrow and Wednesday so I'll be doing some Thai cooking also.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

This lady kicks ass

I like how she just folds up the quarter heads of cabbage instead of chopping it. Gently, politely! Not sure about the porridge though.

RAGER

I don't even need to click on it to know that's Maangchi. She's my go to for most Korean stuff. Yes the porridge is key. It really does work. Leaving them whole like that makes for nice presentation.

Besides, shes adorable.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

Cool, I'll try porridge on my next batch.

First batch is gone, 32oz inhaled in about 5 days. This was my first experience eating or making kimchi so I really don't have a frame of reference other than it was fucking delicious.

RAGER

That's pretty brave to have never had it before. It looked spot on. Maybe pick up a jar for a compass reading.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

RAGER

Got some chanterelles. Processed and now froze.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

RAGER

Soups, risotto, as a side sautéed, stir frys, in a gravy, with pasta, in a sauce, etc.....

Harvested by my wife up the Wind River Hwy in the Gifford Pinchot Natl forest in Washington.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Had lunch at Eem again on Tuesday. This time it was just meh. Had high hopes for the burger. Meh. Dinner is when all the rockstars work and that's when they shine.

The best cocktail ice ever though.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

That looks like a good channel. Subscribed!

Thinking about putting this in my office at work.

No Focus Pocus

renfield

Tuna melts courtesy of ms. ren while I make kimchi

I used pepper flakes instead of powder this time, so it's a bit less atomic. Also did porridge and used the good fish sauce (Red Boat). This batch came out a bit better, more depth to flavor.

renfield

Also attempted peach preserves. Added ginger and jalapeno. I might not have cooked them down enough I dunno, taste great though.

... and I also made nam prik pao!

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i dont work with fruit. not into sweet stuff. no desserts either.

RAGER

Same. But did you see that tuna melt and kimchi? 

Can you take heat?  Like Thai heat?
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

can i take heat?? hah you obviously dont know who you dealing with.

renfield

I used about 30 dried thai chilis for the npp... could barely breathe while those fuckers were toasting. Cats fled the premises. It somehow didn't overpower the rest of the flavors; I'm quite happy with it

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Bunch of late harvest chili's and peppers ???? in brine. See where they're at in a few months.

This is the second bag of peeled garlic I've purchased for personal use. I did everything the fucking hard way up until about 7 years ago. I still do a lot by hand but there's only so many hours and my days off are precious. A bag of peeled garlic is a luxury. However I have a big bag of shallots I have to peel.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

I've been too shy to ask about your garlic peeling technique. Most difficult thing that occurs in a kitchen in my opinion.

RAGER

2 months ago it was bash smash and chop my whole life.  I forgive.
No Focus Pocus