The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

if theres a way i can get some of whatever you make ill go in on it.

renfield

We should organize a music festival around it.

not joking

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I cannot find these anywhere. They're Thai fresh green peppercorns. I'm not sure if they're the same as Kampot peppercorns. I think I found them dried (they'll be here tomorrow) and I think I can find the ones in a brine locally but fresh is where it's at.

One of the things I wanna make is yam kop. It's a spicy frog soup. Wife is of course not on board. Here's a video of the process. The host is kind of annoying but I think he's genuinely excited about this stuff.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Picked up some fancy Shoyu - label with everything written in Japanese, fancy. Just chanced into it at Amazoo link below. Has a nice woody note, not too salty, and off the charts Umami. Had it last night with Spanish saffron rice and sardines. Today I picked up a handful of various imported sardines, and a tin of cod livers! Never tried that but gonna next week.

https://www.amazon.com/Kishibori-Shoyu-Artisan-unadulterated-preservatives/dp/B005GQYXTC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=52CMGYB12OX1&keywords=shoyu+soy+sauce&qid=1573875371&sprefix=shoyu%2Caps%2C424&sr=8-3

Will try to get whole filets out the can next time

IMG-4281" border="0

Lumpy

I really like that Migrationology YouTube channel. He's part Thai part American and lived in Seattle for a while, but speaks fluent Thai and married a Thai lady. His channel expanded to cover food almost worldwide now and it seems like he's really blown up - I think he gets paid to promote locations and cover their food because it's so good for tourism. But he started out by covering Thai food and it's with a depth and expertise that is impressive.

Here's a video from northern Thailand where he eats sai ua (sausages), fermented pork riblets, raw larb, and more. He must have a tapeworm, they eat So much food every episode. And he piles on extra chiles.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

I would hate to eat that frog dish where it's been hacked up and there are bone fragments in every bite.  :P

His website has restaurant recommendations and would be good reference if you visit Thailand.

RAGER

Yeah but that's backwoods rustic. If I made it I'd just use legs cuz that's probably all I could find. That and I'm not sure I want to hack up a bunch of damn frogs. Eeeesh.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Buffalo? Did they also say Bison? Any who, I should get out the house more often, I'll check ticket prices.

Lumpy

I think they are water buffalo, which is the typical farm animal in that region. Usually look kind of scrawny to be honest. I don't think they have cows there - I think all 'beef' may be imported.

Not sure what this farm is all about - the water buffalo look pretty fat and happy here, so maybe they are raised for meat? Ones working in the field aren't this fat.

RAGER

Like I was saying earlier, at first Mark Wiens kinda bugged me but he's pretty genuine. That's a great vid you posted. Sai ua is one of my favorite Thai foods to make. Gonna make a batch on my next days off.

I looked up the website regarding the water buffaloes. It looks like it's a tourist attraction about farming.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I just spent over $100 on this site. Bunch of cool stuff. I highly recommend it.

https://importfood.com/

I also just got some Kampot peppercorns in the mail yesterday.

I put some in my laap gai.

No Focus Pocus

renfield

First bake off my starter, at 1 week old. Detectably sour, but only just.. I hear that's to be expected until it matures for a couple months? Anyway I'm happy with the results. Gonna make some pizza in a couple days

Lumpy

RAGER

That's some good lookin bread. I got into baking breads a while back. I just done eat that much bread these days. But baking your own bread is very rewarding.
No Focus Pocus

Isabellacat

Korean pork tacos with Sriracha mayo FTW!!!  :P

*DROOOL*

renfield

I tried a couple storebought kimchis and they were all worse than mine, blander, more watery, cabbage was kinda raw.

Then I tried this one. Really fucking good, just beautifully fermented and sour. Certainly beyond what I've been doing. I think I need more time at room temperature and ... maybe to ease off the gochugaru

mortlock

i need a filibertos carne asada burrito. fuck. 

Lumpy

Had some bad Thai food at a neighborhood location that's doomed - no restaurant seems to last more than a year or two. Talked with the cute new owner lady for a minute and she said it's hard to find cooks who can make regional food. This place has one cook and a medium-big menu, and what I ate (drunken noodles - I wanted noodles) had the "it's like Chinese food" vibe, but at least it had lots of basil. When she asked me how the food was, I said it was okay. What was I gonna say, this place sucks? Noodles $15, spring rolls $6 (tasted like freezer burn), iced coffee $4. With tip it was $30. I could have ate at a lot of other places nearby - Wendy's - for like $8.

The restaurant business is brutal.

RAGER

Quote from: renfield on November 19, 2019, 09:14:03 PM
I tried a couple storebought kimchis and they were all worse than mine, blander, more watery, cabbage was kinda raw.

Then I tried this one. Really fucking good, just beautifully fermented and sour. Certainly beyond what I've been doing. I think I need more time at room temperature and ... maybe to ease off the gochugaru

You should try the restaurant that makes it. You're out Californy way right?  They're in Huntington.

I don't always do my kimchi the same way but I'll pack in in different containers to enjoy at different stages. Fresher more crunch with rice or alone or aged for a more sour flavor to add to jiggae. I've got a batch over a year old and some fairly fresh. Keep that store bought kind on hand and gauge your against it until you get yours similar.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: mortlock on November 19, 2019, 10:36:45 PM

That's the chain out Arizony way right?
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on November 20, 2019, 09:55:38 AM
Quote from: mortlock on November 19, 2019, 10:36:45 PM

That's the chain out Arizony way right?
yes it is. Its really good.

mortlock

if i could open a filibertos location where i live im pretty sure it would be a mega hit. i should acquire a franchise. anyone care to donate?