The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfield

god damn dave that shit made my skin tingle just looking at it

mortlock

I tried that can of salmon. It was gross. Beyond gross actually.

RAGER

Did you make salmon cakes or a dip or something?  That's about all that stuff's good for.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I've got one last can of pink salmon. Been scared to open it (16ounces). Pinkish-grey, actually.

mortlock

I think it was you rager who said make it like you make tuna. I opened the can and it instantly looked gross. I picked the bones out of it and mixed in a little mayo. Had it on a wheat wrap with some lettuce. Im pissed i wasted the lettuce and mayo and wrap on it.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

you own me a wheat wrap and some lettuce. ill let you off on the mayo since it wasnt hellmans.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Yo rager, im thinking about whipping up a seafood bisque. I want to use what i have on hand. This is what i was thinking.

I have a resturaunt style tomato bisque base that i used for the chili you saw. I got a few cases from a connection.

I was thinking of adding a can or 2 of cream of celery soup.
Giant size can of whole clams with broth.
Atlantic pollock. Im baking first then adding chunks.
Onion and/or green onion.

From there im not sure where to go.
Seasoning? Black pepper and not sure what else.
Do i need a can of cream of mushroom?
Lemon juice?
Anything else?

RAGER

The important parts of a "bisque" to me is that seafood flavor and the smooth texture. Do you have an immersion blender or just a counter top blender?  If you just have a counter top type you'll have to cool the the bisque way down before you blend it.

The clam liquor should help but I usually have shrimp or crab shells in the freezer to make a quick stock by using package chicken stock and adding the shells for maybe 10 minutes or even less. Can taste weird if you leave them too long.

I don't see any heavy cream, half and half or butter on your list but if you add undiluted cream of mushroom that may help. You'll have to make that decision. I don't know anything about the canned bisque base you're talking about but I'd go easy on that unless you want the bisque to be pink which I've had before. Aesthetics I guess. I don't usually add tomato but I do add cayenne or hot sauce or Cajun reading and definitely Old Bay.

Hope that helps. Questions?
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Since I'll have a little time off what are some cooking projects you'd like to see?  I may have missed the boat as far as temp goes for an aged cheese but I can def do some fresh stuff if you're into that. But what else? 
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i still want to see your take on a garbage plate. especially the meat hotsauce. got to get that right. super important.

RAGER

Garbage plate will be one of the first things for sure. I've done some research already on Tahou's meat hot sauce. Any input on the Mac salad? 
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

keep it super basic. very little celery and carrot. use a good mayo like hellmans. thats about it. if you look close at a pic, theres nothing to it really. but its that simplicity that makes it great.

RAGER

I'm thinking maybe Monday I'll do a RAGER Detritus Plato. Can't call it a Garbage Plate cuz it ain't Nick Tahou's.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Got my pantry order from importfood.com

I'll def be making some of that jasmine rice today or tomorrow.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Super bummed. My fav diner has closed. The LDR Char Pit. Im hoping someone buys it and reopens. Its been a rochester staple since like the 40s or something. Also the original nick tahaus building downtown has been listed for sale. Its still open. Historic building and home of the original garbage plate can be yours for $975,000.
Rager you want to go in business together?

RAGER

Damn. Not sure I could survive a Rochester winter
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Saturday would've been my wife's brothers birthday so his wife will be coming over for a dinner. It'll be nice so hopefully we can sit outside. I'm making one of his favs. Spaghetti and meatballs. I might just make it all tomorrow so it all melds nicely.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Dinner turned out great. I love bucatini. And the sauce and meatballs were delicious.

Do any of you have a hard time finding bucatini?  It's always difficult to find in regular stores. This particular pkg I think I got a few months back at my now closed cheese shop.  Turns out there is a shortage currently. But it's always been hard to find for me.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

This is the first ive ever seen it. Is it like really thick spaghetti?

mortlock

Looks great but i am again questioning the bread choice.