The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

The 2nd epic burger episode is up. I out did myself. I can see why this burger is considered the best in the country.

renfield

Muffin Man

downloaded & subscribed!

ps. off topic but, I had popcorn shrimp tacos at happy hour. The breaded shrimp popcorns had no flavor but it was classy and the crunch was nice. the crisp corn/citrus cabbage mix/flour tortilla plus spicy mayo was off the hook.

James1214

Been perfecting my kebab spice mix. Pretty much have it down, all by eye and taste so noeasurements. But it's basically equal parts cumin and paprika, healthy half parts garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and turmeric, Cayenne to taste.

Basic yes, but it's killer. Made up a big jar of it last night.

I mix it in a bowl with some oil to make a paste, toss in whatever ground meat I have kicking around, and make skewers, Turkish style, or meatballs. Nice quick way to get some punchy flavor for little work.

Also the kid has been requesting kebabs like once a week since I made them just after New Years. which feels like a win.

words

RAGER

Toss that shit in some buttermilk or yogurt to marinate.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I could see that working for lots of different applications.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Was there a gravy boat? Totes jelly, 100% clean, not even narry a smudge. OCD? I need to get with it.

ps get rid of that cast iron rice soup. wjat the heck is that?

renfield

Cast iron definitely yielded the best results among all my attempts at the dish. Perfectly cooked rice. Well, other than the socarrat being kinda burnt in places.

Muffin Man

ah, nice, ren. I didn't know paella could be done via cast iron. atm I'm doing basmati in the wok..hoping it works. Imma put paella on the list for later this year. ps. one of my sisters used to have a big party every year with a giant paella pan. good eats.

Muffin Man

potstickers w/shallot and garlic, and sauce (soy, sweet soy, chili crisp, sweet rice vinegar, prickly ash, dried chives).

mortlock

so it looks like someone is finally going to takeoever the summerville grill. that was my go to bar/restaurant. great bar food. burgers, wings, french dips, fish frys. also could get dinners like chicken parm, chicken french and various other dinner options. all great. much to my disappointment it looks like a hipster trendy brewpub is going in. a place called fifth frame brewery. fuck me. i do not want an IPA with hints of citrus and berry tart and a burger with maple glazed bacon and some bullshit pineapple garlic aioli or whatever the fuck these hipsters do with burgers and beer. i want a fucking bar burger and a budweiser. the amount of bearded males with tight fade haircuts is about to increase exponentially around my area now. not happy.   

RAGER

Hello Rochester. My name is Brixton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Might he interest you in a $15 mocktail?
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I like how people are naming their children after cities in the UK.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Have you met my son, Cardiff By The Sea?
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Ok morty, they have a few lager style beers which you may or may not like but I'm damn sure you won't like the prices if they're anything like here.

I take issue with their statement "brewed fresh daily". That's not how a small brewery works. They do have poutine, which looks like shit. They need to freshen their fryer oil more frequently. The rest looks like they're just piling things together to seem decadent but it lacks any creativity.

Also I hate their wording and names of things.

This is probably on the tables. lol.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Hahahaha.  They couldn't keep the flavor of hops inside the beer. They had to pour it on food too.  

I'm sure when the first chef says "Fuck This" the menu will change.  That seemed to happen a lot where I was.  
Vinyls.   deal.

renfield

Did red beans and rice using an actual bone from a pork shoulder I smoked, instead of the smoked ham hock I usually buy. Pretty dang tasty!

James1214

Used leftovers from Fridays roast chicken to make butter chicken with the kiddo last night. She did all the seasoning of the sauce with my help, so she could tailor it to her taste. I'm guilty of going too hard and accidentally lighting her up. I'm stoked that she's enjoying cooking time, and developing a diverse palette. We made rice and a fennel salad as a side (the salad was her request).

words

Muffin Man

As my old friend used to say, "adorbs",  James. MasterChef Junior is on tv right now. Also, adorbs.

mortlock

Keep it cool with sheets is a new channel doing reviews in kentucky. Check out this episode for a very special DCS promo video that he was kind enough to feature in his video. For now this is the only place to see it.

Pissy

Now all I want is a collab. Thanks. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Bought me a cute little nabe. Broke it in with cabbage mushroom miso egg flower.

No Focus Pocus