The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Yeah they were on the river further down south. Up here the willamette is fairly wide. Apparently hit a snag and got pulled under. Not found yet I guess. How horrible.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

A vest probably would not have helped her - though not a waiver of "safety first" and hopefully this drowning will change attitudes and behaviour on the river. Probably should ban paddle board tethers (there? on a debris filled river) or make them breakaway. I'm guessing what happened but it's been reported she was on a paddle board. And the river is apparently loaded right now of invisible sticks/logs - so some warnings about that should be well posted at the usual launch sites. Maybe she kinda knew some of the dangers but obvs not ultimately.

I'd never heard of her 'til Rager mentioned but it's a rattling story. Thoughts of compassion to her family. What a crushing situation- a mother, custard shop, with a new flagship restaurant nearly open next door. all dashed..

RAGER

Yeah she was going to take over the old Woodsman space. I know in years past I've talked about the Woodsman a lot.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

So how about that mixed with powdered morel mushrooms?
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

That would be a great French fry seasoning.

Couple weeks ago I made a chili with roast pork that I rubbed with Midyett and my proprietary blend of ground chilies. Turned out killer and a nice dark hue.

Also didn't know it was available online.

https://midyettpremium.com/
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Yeah, he's been selling it for a while, but his is like half salt.  I don't put salt in my version, opting instead to salt the meat as normal, then apply the rub.  To put it with chilies is a good call. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Did you make the batch that we had on that steak or did E?  Cuz I don't think there's any salt in that.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Tonight is Fujian fried rice. Chinese cooking can be a real pain in the ass. Damn near worse processes than French cooking.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I think E made that.  But I told him how I did it, and he agreed that was a good way to go.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Fujian fried rice. Very very tasty. Lot of steps and mise en place is very important here. I don't currently have dried scallops but they definitely would've improved the dish. Instead I rinsed and rehydrated some dried shrimp dry fried them again, pounded into a rough dust and again rehydrated with dried shiitake for the soaking liquid.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I cleaned out the garage fridge this past weekend.  It was so nasty.  The freezer above, there's a drain tube for the defrost function that would periodically get clogged, it would freeze up with ice.  Once that happens enough, the bottom of the freezer cakes over eventually cascading water into the refrigerator section below.  Mildew and nastyness ensues.  Left unchecked, that condition also closes all of the vents from the freezer into the fridge, rendering the fridge portion useless.  And all my beer gets warm. 

So there's a hack.

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

And I found the most amazing cleaning product on Earth.  I'm amazed that it isn't illegal because it works so well.  RMR-85.  It's a bleach based spray on cleaner that absolutely dissolves mildew and the like on contact.  I found it because of my boat seats, and it worked so well I showed the wife and she used it in the shower.  Instantly all of these nagging places that needed attention weren't an issue anymore.  I even poured it into my countertop ice maker, because I couldn't figure out how to clean the damn thing effectively.  Rinsed out like 10 times, and dumped the ice from the first two batches.  It works so well. 
https://a.co/d/5u9c4yK
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Reminds me, I should pull the fridges out and vacuum the backsides.

Just thought that cleaner. The inside gasket of the washer needs it.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

You may have solved my garage refrigerator problem, thanks Pissy. I just need to move it from the back to the front where the drainage ditch is and do a throurough cleaning. Ordering some refer rollers along with that cleaner.

RAGER

I've never been more excited to clean something.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Quote from: Muffin Man on August 16, 2024, 12:29:06 PMYou may have solved my garage refrigerator problem, thanks Pissy. I just need to move it from the back to the front where the drainage ditch is and do a throurough cleaning. Ordering some refer rollers along with that cleaner.
Good luck

I thought my drainage ditch was too far out front too, turns out I was wrong.  Mine's basically just like that video. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Yes I got that cleaner and I'll be damned if it doesn't work pretty damn good. I have other things on the list of cleaning lije refrigerator gaskets.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

There's been a recent spate of YouTube videos recently regarding Chinese "gutter oil". I'd heard of unscrupulous use of minimally refined cooking oil being used in China but this video shines a light on a bygone practice that is crazy illegal now and where's in the past it was kind of an open secret. Nowadays it's looked upon as morally very wrong. So when these videos came out of people scooping out sludge from street side grease traps, idiots jumped to conclusions and another genre of rage bait videos was born.

Check this out from a couple who lives in China and has a whole slew of great cooking videos.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Quote from: RAGER on August 17, 2024, 05:19:55 PMYes I got that cleaner and I'll be damned if it doesn't work pretty damn good. I have other things on the list of cleaning lije refrigerator gaskets.
I haven't used it on the front load washing machine gasket yet, but it's on my list.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Holy fuck I think I lucked out. And Ricker of Pok Pok will be in Portland in September for two nights at Jeju. I'm pretty sure. Just bought thee very last ticket. Tried to get two but no. Clicked on 1 guest and a bar seat popped up. Nabbed it. Boom 💥 I'm in. I get to have Pok Pok again. Stoked! 
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Quote from: Pissy on August 22, 2024, 10:07:22 PMOh sweet!  Wings?

Yes the goddamn wings I'm sure. They are damn good but.... I'd rather have something else in their place. I can make a serviceable version. I mean I can make good versions of lots of stuff.  I'm really stoked to check my versions against his. It'll be a lot of fun even if I'm going solo.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Congratulations! that's pretty awesome.

wings give me a brrreak you're gonna blow a VIP slot on that? hellnah brah. hahaha. Fullstop get one of everything! Maybe you'll luck out twice abd they'll have a cancellation swing your way, so you can make it a date night. Best of luck!