Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

well thank you for that! Lodge cast iron outside surface is at 225. haha I lowered the oven again to 205 lemme see where that lands. I doubt if I'm ruining anything but let's call this a trial run.

Muffin Man

lowered dial to 200F, the Lodge cast iron is at 210F. Tweezing it. I feel good now.

Muffin Man

Should I drop some golden potato (whole unpeeled) in the bath after I pull the roast?
I think I might do that also some quartered onion too boot. There is, though, the question about gravy, how best to use the jus. Or do I toss the jus? ps. the jus is super intense so hmmm, kinda concentrated to the max, and salty I'd guess. I'll spoon some and see. Hints appreciated. Is blending it down and filtering something to consider? I could freeze it I guess.

RAGER

Don't Chuck it. Firstly it's for dunking your sandwich in and can be used for all sorts of stuff. Gravies, soup bases etc....
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Thanks, chef. I shall retain it as liquid gold.

Muffin Man

cast iron doing its thing, retaining heat. Lodge surface at 212F. Oven dial at 200. Next time I'll preheat lower than the 350 I started at. Doubt if I have a problem, just dialing in.

Muffin Man

nope. thready, dry, sandpaper. garbage-in, garbage-out. It's not that bad but c'mon

Muffin Man

it's good. more to do. not worth the hassle

RAGER

I was wondering what time you'd actually get to eat some.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Man, sorry I stepped away from the thread yesterday.

Looks like you didn't care for it.  That sucks. I love it when I do it.  I wonder where all the salt came from.  The two cans of consommé, sure.  But the giardiniera and pepperocinis shouldn't have much. 

Sorry is was below expectations. 

In the oven I'd do 225 for about 12hrs I guess.  Looking at those pepperocinis I'd probably have cut the stems off too. 

But it looks like mine, that's for sure. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

No, no! All good Pissy. I think I wrecked my pallet with 86 sinlge malt. I def love the recipe and I'll make another asap. The weak link is my beef source, no matter the cut, even ground, has been a problem with the supplier the grocer/butcher uses - Imma guess they buy off-off low-low (garbage). So its that. I will either get some upscale grocer supply I have on tap, or Costco, both are good. Can't wait to make it again and also with a new seasoning packet and new consommé. I'm in it for the long haul.

I froze the batch last night, maybe it'll break it down, dunno, but I'll be thawing for tacos! Can't wait and Pissy, thanks again.

Muffin Man

reheated. lentil soup with a cap of smoked provolone, 10oz of beef over that. I thought the beef would stay in one place but it mixed in. no problem ladled onto a crispy chewy roll with some butter. its not salty, in fact it needs some seasoning but for next time. fun eats.

mortlock

that gets a 5 star yelp review.

Muffin Man

on a mission to revive the old (1950's) sourdough. there's alotta science (under microscope I'd assume) going on here, then there's some mystery to it and part of it has me baffled. But there is forward progress. stay-tuned if all goes well (it's going okay so far).

various concentrations but of all the same ingredients in effort to get it out of hybernation; starter, flour, water. 70-80F.

Muffin Man

i gotta get this stuff charged for a santa present to Rochester

Pissy

Put some whole wheat flour in and make sure the water is bottled.  I use a 1:1 ratio by weight of water to flour. I think that's called 100% hydration.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: Pissy on November 30, 2022, 06:22:56 PM
Put some whole wheat flour in and make sure the water is bottled.  I use a 1:1 ratio by weight of water to flour. I think that's called 100% hydration.

Pissy, thanks. Yes, bottled water - I tried Pellegrino, might have almost killed it due to sulpher or whatver is in there? (I let it set out overnight to gas-off). Anyway, I went to the store for the gallon drinking water. Going great now!

Went plain flour (organic) white since I read that flour will affect the strain/taste so wanted the most neutral. At one point last year I did buckwheat init but that was on a whim..but the buckwheat is still in the (hybernating) starter now. no way to undo it. Since this is a revival project to get back to the base I went white/neautral as possible.

Once the recovery is complete I'll do some wheat, buckwheat... any and all other takers welcome!

I have bread to make for December gifts.

Muffin Man

Quote from: Pissy on November 30, 2022, 06:22:56 PM

1:1, I did try that. Now I'm at 4-5-6 flour: to 1 water to: 1 starter. It seems to me the big key is temperature and feeding schedule. The temp really makes the trick so far. Feeding can be 4 hours, even if it looks dormant. or it could be 12 hours. So many differing suggestions that I got corn-fused. By weight, by volume, this and that. Filtered water and temp, though, got it. Thank god it's actively recovering. I'll send you some once it's bodacious, if you want. 70 year strain, boss.

Muffin Man

another feed; which is previous starter 1:part, new water 2ish3, new flour 4ish5. call it 1:3:5. none sense to it just a "feel" for how goopy it is (5 differing jars, can't lose).  No digital scale might sink me, totally eye-ball and by "gut" sheer guts. Stirring with a bamboo chopstick, of course. I have it down to 5 jars since (paranoia): labelled 1, 2, 3, and a, b. now at 1++, 2++ since fed thrice, per. a and b is backup, aka toss-off, every feed gets its previous feed half tossed (toss half, use half, says internet). a is always a and b is always b,for backup, and complication, i think, but who cares. So 5 jars now on the hearth steady at 72-78F deg. Put em to bed overnight, back in 12 hours for brekie, and a +. do androids dream of electric sheep...This is one trick we have over robots..if the operator gets it correct...

Muffin Man

feed 4. One of the jars at 1:1:1. No sense in having this many jars except that it keeps batches small.  Bubbles, and they're starting to rise. Slow going but its going.

RAGER

I'm interested but I don't have anything to add. I love bread and the process but I don't eat much of it.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quick solo dinner. Japanese style.

Rice out of the warmer, smoked turkey mixed with soy sauce, butter, horseradish , oyster sauce, scallions. Topped with sriracha, Kewpie mayo and wasabi furikake.  Oishi!!

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Nice dinner! I've yet to try Kewpie but it's on the list. Looking at your dish there, I'll be picking a couple squeeze bottles too.

RAGER

I like to dress it Okonomiyaki style.
No Focus Pocus