The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Is it chicken you're making or from restaurants?  I wonder if its cheap chicken and the additives collect in the fat and that's what's making you sick. That's all l got.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

its either chicken. I actually never get chicken out, unless its wings, but I never do that any more either due to the issue. I always thought it was more the deep fry, but I noticed it in baked thighs. killed me.

RAGER

Try getting some good quality Coldplay approved chicken breasts and poaching them.  A far less fatty method.
No Focus Pocus

black

"...some good quality Coldplay approved chicken breasts..."

:D
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

MadJohnShaft

MJS part time Asparagus farmer. This is the fifth one. I got one per week so far, abysmal. Fresh picked is very different than even the freshest. Blackened in the damn toaster. Amazing.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

I went quite a bit out of my comfort zone the other night.

No Focus Pocus

deleted account

James1214

Do those qualify as Totchoes? Whatever it is it looks fucking drunkalicious.
words

khoomeizhi

yeah, 'cept for the jizz...  ;)

for the thread: made an awesome salad with triple-boiled young milkweed pods (so tasty! i'm a fan of every part of the milkweed plant i've had so far), dried currants, shredded carrot, lentil sprouts, cucumber last night to go with a chicken and mustard greens thing. so good.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

There's another one of those floating around about what to put on a hipster menu.  I go to a lot of those places that have those exact things on the menu.  And yes there's suspenders but goddammit they know how to make all the classic cocktails and with top shelf booze.  But the prices are not astronomical.

Anyways dinner the other night.  Some herby type meatballs, avocado, beans, tomatoes, elote, and my favorite tortillas.  Oh and some of that scallions sauce thing I made a few days ago.

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

No malice intended (hipster bar thing) I've had one or maybe two fancy cocktails and they are tasty. I do have trouble with the concept of spending more than, oh I dunno, $40 for dinner, even if it is all locally sourced organic, handcrafted by artisans etc.

RAGER

Believe me, I have my limits too.  if it's pricey just because then fuck em.  I know enough about food and drink to recognize that shit and believe it or not there's not as much of that shit here in Portland as you might think.  I will spend more for locally sourced minimally processed ingredients because I know it's not mass produced.  It's much more labor intensive to grow and harvest and in high demand with small supplies.  I also believe in people being able to earn a good living to live a decent life.  I also over tip according to most people.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

20% tip or die.

Did you see that report on Daily Beast that lots of ryes and bourbons are mass-produced at the same distillery in Indiana, then re-bottled and marketed with "hand-crafted" aesthetics? Kind of like hot sauce and coffee beans. Just come up with a cool marketing angle (Nuclear Death Hot sauce) and you're in business.

RAGER

That just reinforces my beliefs.  If you buy local you avoid that kind of shit.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Yeah that distillery story is something.   If there's a mitigating factor it's that the whiskey is great.  Here's the blog that lists the brands.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/p/the-complete-list-of-american-whiskey.html

We went to MOTO and did the full ride which was more than $41 a minute.

RAGER

I'm really liking our front porch dinners lately.  Nice breeze and a cocktail.  A hunk of barely cooked meat with some shrimp and veggies from the garden.

No Focus Pocus

black

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

RAGER

We had a little cook out here at work on Saturday that I missed because HOVERFEST!!  So there were 3 grilled T bones left in the fridge wrapped in foil.  I just can't waste food.  Took em home last night after working late and put em in the crockpot with some onions.  Turned out really tender this morning.  Having tacos tonight.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I get a little carried away with packing my lunch sometimes.

No Focus Pocus

deleted account

MadJohnShaft

I made a spaghetti squash crusted chorizo taco pie, chipotle pepper lime coleslaw, and a chard bacon walnut roasted beet salad - 90 minutes weeknight dinner

Three people that live with me ate all of that food - hungry I guess.