The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on August 14, 2021, 10:29:44 AM
Crumpled purse dumplings. All froze up and at the ready.

Them boilers or friers? Those are really lined up very well.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

clear noodles in house broth with those dumplings?

RAGER

Steamed and smothered in my caiziyou Szechuan chili oil with Chianking vinegar, soy mix with black and white sesame seeds.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

okay fine. if it works it works. Go all in!

RAGER

Yep it def works. Classic Szechuan flavors.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Scored a gallon jug of Marie Sharps.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

A friend of mine has a tap room/bottle shop/event space. He offered to have me open a food cart there. He only has room for one. Flattered and thankful but m not gonna do it.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Hes asking if its one food cart or one person.

RAGER

If it's a serious question I'll rephrase my statement. Owner of tap room only wants one food cart. Doesn't want and cart pod. He offered me the one and only spot to open my own cart. But not now and not at my age. And I sure as shit couldn't get away with doing anything that isn't solely white people food lest be firebombed for appropriation.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Sorry, I was wondering  if you could have a cart like thing operated by two people.  Which may change what could be done. 

Cuz hotdogs, hamburgers and baked beans needs two people to prepare. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

My Pronto Pup today only took one person. Tomorrow and Sunday when there are thousands of people he'll have 3-4 people. I asked. Heh. That's just me. Always curious.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

How fuckin hard is it to hand someone a corn dog.

Muffin Man

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Last night I reverse seared a giant pork chop. No less than 3". It was a 2 boner for scale. In the oven at 250 for about 50 min. until interior was 110 then seared in screaming hot pan, smoke alarm went off so I knew I was doing it right, until nice and crispy. Crispy on the fat cap too. Let rest while corn on cob was finishing. Interior temp 145. Perfect.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

That solves a problem I had when looking at 3" Ribeye. I think I'll give it a try, reverse sear it on the Thai grill. You know that will bring the screaming char.

RAGER

Yeah that would work. Although for steak, if you want rare, you may want to shoot for bout 105 interior temp before searing. Dry brine for 24 hr on a rack uncovered in the fridge to dry out. Sit on counter at room temperature for a couple hours prior to cooking.

So it seems you're not totally pleased with the tao grill. When the coals are fresh and hot you need to have things at least 8" off the surface and moving quickly or they will burn 🔥 in no time. That's why I have that second rack above the first one. The first rack I can quickly blister chilis and r tomatoes or onions. Once the coals cool down then you can use the surface rack. You can also save some of the ash and sprinkle over the active coals to dampen them a bit.

The original design suggests using a wok on the thing. I actually haven't done that yet. I like the coal grilled meat aspect.

I would like to get a couple different racks. Or even an adjustable one or make one. We'll see.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Oh hey thanks, that double high rack is the tip. No I like the Tao grill, in fact I bought the oval one too! (after a 6-pack or two) Also bought the fish cooking metal platter that should fit in the grill. If anything it makes for a nice decoration.

I'll mail order in a nice cut of ribeye. Thanks for the cooking tips on that.

https://importfood.com/products/thai-cookware/item/thai-fish-platter-w-keep-warm-base-aluminum-16

.I did have a wok in mind when I bought the round Tao. Stil need to find a nice wok to fit

RAGER

Yeah. Saw that oval one. I just bought 2 Chinese fermenting jars from Mala Market.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

RAGER

Got my fermenting vessels today. Not sure what's first.

No Focus Pocus