The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Oddly I've a little left of the same batch as yours. It's almost gone but I've been using it here and there. Should be ok.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I think. Bought 2 that last time and that's why I still have some.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

ha! That's what I did back when you mentioned it, bought 2. I cannot believe that was back in 2021? that seems impossible.

mortlock

Quote from: Muffin Man on June 10, 2024, 02:50:13 PMha! That's what I did back when you mentioned it, bought 2. I cannot believe that was back in 2021? that seems impossible.
covid years.

Pissy

That's the genuine rapeseed oil, correct?
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

interesting post on that oil https://blog.themalamarket.com/category/pantry/caiziyou/

I'm going to see what happens; stir some into my wings, into the dutch oven, in the kamado grill. /fired-up

mortlock

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

The haul.

They gave me an extra zhacai! 

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Whipped up a Fresno chili black cherry sambal this morning.

Fresno chilis, Thai chilis, garlic, shallot, salt, lemongrass, palm sugar, black cherries, lime juice.
I'll let it ferment briefly maybe 2 weeks or less.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Velveeta with chives, dash of Tamazula

mortlock

i love velveeta. i used to eat an entire box of the mac n cheese. if i remember correctly they had a spicy mexican flavor or something.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Kellie makes fun of me for hanging onto brine and pickle juices. Let's see what she says when I boil Yukon golds in half water and half pickle juice for potato salad.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on June 30, 2024, 03:43:26 PMKellie makes fun of me for hanging onto brine and pickle juices. Let's see what she says when I boil Yukon golds in half water and half pickle juice for potato salad.
now I know what to do with the several bottles of juice in my fridge since.forever.

Pissy

That's a great idea.  You can also use it to marinate chicken cutlets to go for a chick-fil-a style fried chicken sandwich, without having to worry about contributing to their ideals.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Quote from: Pissy on July 01, 2024, 06:32:32 AMThat's a great idea.  You can also use it to marinate chicken cutlets to go for a chick-fil-a style fried chicken sandwich, without having to worry about contributing to their ideals. 

hows that go? I'm doing skinless chicken breasts today. Planning on two kinds breaded; panko and, bread crumbs, either baked or pan fried. I'm going to halve the breasts so their thin.

Pissy

Marinate it in 1/2 cup pickle juice and 1/4 cup water for 30 min before breading.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

phew! Thank you! for the quick reply - I diluted accordingly down from 100% . You may have saved the day, that, and I would have marinated too long.

spicy pickle juice

Pissy

If you marinate too long in vinegar, i think it'll begin the cooking process.  Like chicken ceviche but I wouldn't try eating it.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

aha, did not know that. they were starting to cook.
Love my raw oysters in vinegar.

Minute-by-minute reporting lol. gotta come up with a seasoning for the flour, probably sans garlic (not feeling garlic today) or I could season mayo with it later.

Muffin Man

ok not bad...need to work on the coating and seasoning, i under-seasoned; msg, sugar, paprika, cayenne, salt. it'n not very crispy either but 1/2way. bun was pan toasted in butter. only the bun, pickle, chicken. mighty picnic-y. i've never had a real one so wild swing at it. i can taste the pickle brine.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.