all things SYNTH & KEYBOARD thread

Started by jibberish, November 30, 2013, 05:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Quote from: Beta Cloud on June 25, 2014, 12:55:29 PM
sadness overcomes me on so many levels.

Sheeeeiiiiiiiiit!  You've got lots of good gear and a great band from what I gather.  No fret boyo.  Have a glass of dandy wine for me.

Jib, was there a baby sleeping in the house?  Turn that shit up!
No Focus Pocus

Beta Cloud

Quote from: RAGER on June 25, 2014, 02:46:16 PM
Quote from: Beta Cloud on June 25, 2014, 12:55:29 PM
sadness overcomes me on so many levels.

Sheeeeiiiiiiiiit!  You've got lots of good gear and a great band from what I gather.  No fret boyo.  Have a glass of dandy wine for me.

Jib, was there a baby sleeping in the house?  Turn that shit up!

yet still i covet thine orange...
why does it hurt when i pee?

eyeprod

here's what I've been doing. improv noise with the minibrute and couple of pedals. sometimes it turns out pretty good.

CV - Slender Fungus

jibberish

these screwing around videos must be awfully boring to most people, but nothing can replace standing next to someone(video works very well also) watching them just dicking around to see what happens for ideas and techniques to try.  like it could be me fucking with the brute and a looper, but instead, i'm burning and drinking coffee while you tweak. but we were both there for the experience...so yeah...

i have to see if my korg can feed its arpeggiator notes out the midi to other lame modules with no arp function on them

RAGER

I been outta town for a couple days and last night in the hotel room I pop on one of my synth groups on FB and somebody posted an Access Virus A desktop for 150 bux.  And I'm outta fucking town.  Gone immediately. fuck!
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

This guy Joe and I are plotting my next move.  What I have and what I need.

This is his rig.  fuck me.  I'm fucked. About 20k later

No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

nice rig. I see he has those elektron beauties. I'm into one of those octatracks. modular seems really cool, once you have a powered case you just start adding modules and buying patch cables in pretty colors. eventually you have a wall of the stuff. one can dream
CV - Slender Fungus

RAGER

I know man. That's a lot of stuff. Gonna may start with a 3 row case. That's in the future though. Gonna get my prophet 600 this week probably.
No Focus Pocus

Beta Cloud

MODULAR=MAINTENANCE.
careful what you wish for.

why does it hurt when i pee?

RAGER

What kind of maintenance?  Power supply? Jacks?  This wont be vintage stuff but new production modules.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

yeah, your pal joe has a pile of toys. is that an old planet phatt module way to the right? the purple unit. those series had some of the best sounds in the day,

I cant help wonder at what point it becomes more of a toy collection vs an integrated and used setup. there is a lot of redundant stuff in there.

but from watching demos, I would take those 2 black boxes dead center if I could choose something. I guess so would lumpy heh [hi-5 to lumpy]

RAGER

We actually had a long talk about redundancy.  He may have different voices of things but there's not much redundancy there.  He's not sentimental about shit he doesn't use.  He works at Malekko, Control Voltage, and builds systems and cases for other people.  He's also an Abelton instructor and has owned most of the vintage synths we drool over at one point in time.  Dude knows his shit in and out.  Glad to know him.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

yeah, he sounds like a phenomenal resource.  so does he mostly do skrillex type stuff with all that or what?

and what if you don't want to do dance music or arpeggiator trance music?  that guy's rig offers very little for a keyboard player.

jibberish

is that one of yours? 
here's one of mine speaking of creepy soundtracks
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/doktordeath/fantasyandfudgeincminor1amp[/soundcloud]

[this is very dark bach worship of a sorts.  all creepy chords were employed.
it is just a 1 take fake, but velocity sensitivity and layering make it sound multitrack.  korg x-50 is one badass toy. only thing used.]

RAGER

Yep, crappy iphone recording.  That was the Minibrute, the Beatstep, SuperNova, SE-1, and Prophet.

Nice chords there jib. Been trying to work on some runs and scales all of which can be turned into chords of course.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Check oot the sweet hand drawn traces. 

This little board will replace the Z80A IC.  Just some solderin gof a few jumpers on the board.  No mods whatsoever to the Prophet.  100% reversable.  This will really open some shit up.  More stability, less steppy and basically just better.  Awesome to have firmware updates on an 80's synth.

Ic that will be replaced

^^Voices
No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

cool looking boards.  good luck.

just got the zoom sampler that I ordered 2 weeks ago. It's older, but I think it will do the trick for me and some rhythm patterns that I can jam over. I was excited to work it out, but the parts for my mutron phase 2 clone came the other day and I'm busy putting that together. will report back with a vid or soundclip.

CV - Slender Fungus

RAGER

Sound clip would be cool.  Maybe give a bit of a tutorial of it too.  The sampler that is.

Here's my new synth nestled in with the others.

No Focus Pocus

jibberish

rager, I have a question:  do you have any recommendation on a sequencer that can run old school sound modules via old school MIDI. I seem to recall you mentioning an ez2 use sequencer/arpeggiator that you have. I have my old kawaii and boss sound modules, and even the dx-7 I suppose as available slave modules. they have cool sounds and really are awesome stacked. but I really need help from something that plays sequences that I can trigger. basslines seem a natural for sequences as do huge fill pad type sounds.

ironically, I need performance oriented synths also for my wall of sound. deep menus are useless except for working on projects on the computer in non-realtime. I was close to buying a tetra module because analog awesomeness like nothing else that cheap EXCEPT, you basically have to have a DAW open like ableton to run it, so, no way. I would have to get a keyboard version of a dave smith synth, and I haven't won the lottery yet, so.. I believe the mininova will be the next synth. it has nice performance tweaks, and big buttons and they are starting to be available for $399 shipped, which is pretty tasty. sounds great for digital.

are you still getting that sub 37?  I have been looking at demos. it sounds great.

RAGER

That white thing with the pads and knobs sitting on that master keyboard is the ez sequencer I use.  Arturia beatstep.  $99 new.

The Sub 37?  You mean this one?

No Focus Pocus

jibberish

sweet
it doesn't get much better than that.
looking forward to hearing some awesomeness once you find and spin all the knobs.

I will study up on that arturia sequencer. I hope that is what I want. nice cheap price for a change, especially since I don't want to throw a bunch of money keeping old school gear useful. this korg has mint arps, but doesn't output the sequence, or I haven't found how to do that if it is possible. also I want the korg and the eventual mininova to do their own thing, so this isn't important anyway in the big picture if the korg cannot output the sequence.

eyeprod

That thing looks awesome! Man, new synths are cool. I've got an old yamaha cs-15 at my house right now. Part of a new project I'm involved with. This thing sounds great, but these old analog synths are just so basic. It makes me want a little more out of it. It just doesn't scream or really cut very well. Maybe with some overdrive or fuzz after it I can get it to melt faces. I bet that moog can do all sorts of amazing stuff. How's the keyboard feel? Are the knobs tight or kinda loose. I really love the feel of panel mounted jacks and controls.
CV - Slender Fungus

RAGER

I'm probably not the best person to assess synths but to me this Moog is the end all be all.  Everything is literally perfect.  Keys feel semi weighted with just the right resistance, the knobs feel solid.  Damn, It's just super badass. And the sound capabilities.........Fuck!  Especially with the Moog delay.  I'm already looking around at what I have that I don't need anymore.  But i won't get rid of anything right away until I know for sure.  This synth would be just fine at $500 more.  If you don;t have one now it will be months before you can get one.  If you can swing one it might just be the last one you buy.  Minimoog+a million. Arp,sequencing, percussive, sub bass,...............................
No Focus Pocus