all things SYNTH & KEYBOARD thread

Started by jibberish, November 30, 2013, 05:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tombhex

Quote from: RAGER on March 11, 2015, 02:45:13 PM
Can you explain the form factor part?  Just curious.

I hate the way it looks, the aluminum-ish casing (not sure if that's actually what it is) and display/interface design on it. Simply superficial. Aside from that, though, I've never had a chance to sit down with someone who owns one to really dig in, but what I've experienced from doodling around with them at Guitar Center for hours over the years didn't impress me. I'm not writing it off, and I'm sure it's capable of a lot - I just hate the look. I dislike it enough to try to avoid it in the same way that some people absolutely cannot get over pointy guitars no matter how awesome they play or sound.

black

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

RAGER

My modular is starting to take shape.

No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

CV - Slender Fungus

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Quote from: eyeprod on March 17, 2015, 01:50:02 AM
looks good. fun times!

I posted that picture on their synth forum and the damn owner of the company chimed in and told me what all I could do with just those modules.  Pretty cool of him.
No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

makes you feel like you made a good purchase!

So the three hour gig went well tonight. Two of us ate a small amount of shrooms. Worked out well, but I got pretty baked. Played for what felt like easily 90 minutes-- turned out to be about 50. Took a 30 minute break and played another hour or so. Chill experience. People hung out. Volume was about perfect. Had to squeeze up against a wall and leave room for people to get out the back door. Couldn't run both half stacks I brought, but did a 6x10 + 4x10 stack pointed at us. Two 100w amps for PA and bass..two combo amps for guitars. We had to leave out two synths, but used 4 and the space worked out really well. That was fun. Next gig is in april with Hedersleben, who were nik turner's Hawkwind on the last couple of tours he did recently.
CV - Slender Fungus

RAGER

Thread resurrection. The synth rig has grown and morphed intosomething special over the years.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

RAGER

I haven't snapped any pics of the whole set up recently. It takes up the whole room. But here's a little vid.

Guess that didn't work. YouTube is the only way to post a vid?
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

eyeprod

Ha, thought I'd check and see what's going on here and I see this thread. Been a while. Nice to see Rager expanded the modular. Looks like the 5u stuff and 1/4" cables?!  What happened to the eurorack?

I went modular a couple of years ago myself. I love it, but mainly use my small system as a rhythm machine and use it solo and in a band. I went pretty heavy into synths and haven't played much guitar for years, but now I have another band that I'm playing guitar in. I was going to post some of that in here somewhere, because it's a sort of stoner rock.

Check out my latest release for my solo modular project. https://zenitsar.bandcamp.com/releases

CV - Slender Fungus

RAGER

Hey man. Long time. Good to hear from ya. I just started posting again recently. Hadn't posted in several years. Changed some stuff up gear wise and life wise. Took about a year off work. Picked up a couple kitchen gigs here and there to see if I wanted to do that again. But I didn't so I'm back in my old field.

I never had any eurorack stuff unless you count Mother 32. Yours looks like a versatile little system. Good stuff you're doing.
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

I s'pose this would fall under synth music. Kinda? Everything is notated and then is entirely played by my computer's sound card synth.
Most guitar sounds are achieved by taking a clean 'guitar' sound and virtually re-amping it.

[cloudset]https://soundcloud.com/ericdemby/sets/metal[/cloudset]

RAGER

That could be a good writing tool too.
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

Quote from: RAGER on April 11, 2019, 02:46:00 PM
That could be a good writing tool too.

It is the original writing tool. Once upon a time composers wrote entire pieces of music as black dots on paper. Rhythm, pitch and volume could all be `recorded'. These could then be read and played by live musicians. I am doing just that, except that I don't have to pay my robot slave synth orchestra or even care about their fucking feelings or complaints that they are too `punk rock' to read charts.

renfield

^^^ Wolfgang Amadeus Neighbor over here  ;D

Lumpy

Great stuff Neighbor664.

Reminds me of "if it sounds good on an acoustic guitar, it will sound even better with a full band".

eyeprod

Quote from: RAGER on April 11, 2019, 12:12:57 PM
Hey man. Long time. Good to hear from ya. I just started posting again recently. Hadn't posted in several years. Changed some stuff up gear wise and life wise. Took about a year off work. Picked up a couple kitchen gigs here and there to see if I wanted to do that again. But I didn't so I'm back in my old field.

I never had any eurorack stuff unless you count Mother 32. Yours looks like a versatile little system. Good stuff you're doing.

Ah, I couldn't remember what you had, so I assumed eurorack. Cool man, glad to hear you're doin' alright.

Thanks. Bought and sold a handful of modules until I figured out what I can and want to do with it. Kinda sad to have filled up the case, but I'll likely end up going up to 104hp and expand the mixer section and add a reverb. I record my jams occasionally and release the good stuff, but the experimental days for me and modular are essentially over at this point where I know what I'm doing. Now it's just write songs and set up the sounds for each song.
CV - Slender Fungus

Plywood

Ever watch this guys videos? He's really into synth & builds them. I subscribed to his channel right after watching his fart synth vid.

I've been eyeing the Moog Grandmother, but at $900 it's spendy (which I guess is cheap for a Moog) and the fact that I can only play simple things on the keys like Gary Numan's "Are Friends Electric", I doubt I will be getting one anytime soon, but man I really want one.

RAGER

That would be the perfect synth for that as it's mainly a monophonic synth. I don't have one but I have s Sub 37.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Moog is coming out (out already?) with the Matriarch which is polyphonic so Grandmother owners are starting to flip their synths so they can upgrade. A lot of gear hounds want the newest stuff so you can find deals on like-new equipment that way.

RAGER

Matriarch is monophonic and duophonic. Moog One is polyphonic and $8k
No Focus Pocus