Movies you've seen recently

Started by diasdegalvan, April 06, 2011, 01:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

The Raid 2

Fantastic stunts and fight scenes. The plot is more complicated than the first Raid movie, and not too interesting. Still worth watching, even thought the plot drags at times. The first Raid movie is a classic if you like action.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

renfield

^ a correct opinion

I recommend THE NIGHT COMES FOR US as well

Muffin Man

The beauty of it is I called up The Raid, The Raid 2 and, THE NIGHT COMES FOR US. All on Prime but were pay fors so I skipped and found for the first time HARD EIGHT. Exactly my kind of cinema. The camera and set work here is period perfect. Script, Casting. Paul Thomas Anderson film. Seems no soundtrack. The film is kinda weird. Cohen-esque. Art house? Def leans toward austere. And actually, there is no period here, could be a a sci-fi dreamstate flick? 9.9/10

Want austere? A Man Escaped, by Bresson. Andrei Rubilev, bt Tarkovsky. Well anyway they're new to me. Top tier.

edit: HARD EIGHT has a soundtrack I think it started 90 minutes in? Soundtrack is superbly complimentary to the filmography.

renfield

ANDREI RUBLEV is pretty epic

Lumpy

If I'm thinking of the same movie (set in Las Vegas) then Hard Eight is a great movie. Great script and cast, etc. Kind of flew under the radar a little. It used to get played on the IFC channel.

renfield

yeah HARD EIGHT is real good. the only PTA joint I couldn't really get into was THE MASTER but I should give it another crack sometime.

Lumpy

Attack the Block - UK production is vaguely like a cross between The Warriors and Gremlins (?) Good fun ride. A-

Hot Fuzz - Not as many laughs as Sean of the Dead (same team, I think). Above average for laughs (most comedies suck) but turns into a standard action/cop movie at times. Also, doesn't warrant 2 hours. B-

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - Iranian "arthouse" vampire movie in B&W, it was good but drags sometimes, worth a look. B-

neighbor664

This was Richard Hatch's final project before he died. I think his deteriorating health helped sell the roll.

mortlock

ive been on a 80s bender the last few weeks.
just watched
another 48 hours
die hard 2 and 3
uncle buck
jaws 1 - 4

jaws movies were especially good for some reason. even the ones that sucked were great.

Dylan Thomas

Uncle Buck is classic, I love that film when I was a child.

I remember seeing Jaws 3 in the theater when I was a kid, in 3-D nonetheless.  I remember seeing the 4th one too, with the revenge motif.  Weird.

I just watched The Living Dead in the Manchester Morgue.  Classic.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

renfield

Quote from: Lumpy on October 20, 2020, 11:46:00 PM
Attack the Block - UK production is vaguely like a cross between The Warriors and Gremlins (?) Good fun ride. A-

Hot Fuzz - Not as many laughs as Sean of the Dead (same team, I think). Above average for laughs (most comedies suck) but turns into a standard action/cop movie at times. Also, doesn't warrant 2 hours. B-

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - Iranian "arthouse" vampire movie in B&W, it was good but drags sometimes, worth a look. B-

I love ATTACK THE BLOCK. Boyega is far more charismatic in it than in the Star Wars films. Great monster movie.

I had basically the same reaction to that Iranian vampire movie. Good vibes but kinda boring. Do you know it was actually filmed in Bakersfield CA?

Dylan Thomas

Re-watched Beyond The Black Rainbow.  Still a favorite of mine.  Similarly to Mandy, directly lifts some scenes/tropes from horror classic, and the style, the aesthetic vision, it's just breathtaking in its scope.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

renfield

^ For me BTBR is by far the better film. The second half of MANDY loses me somewhat

renfield

TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7

Really entertaining but fundamentally historically dishonest and Sorkin can't mask his contempt for Abby Hoffman

Lumpy

Quote from: renfield on October 23, 2020, 03:00:49 PM
TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7

Really entertaining but fundamentally historically dishonest...

Can you explain? Just curious, I haven't seen it yet.

When I was a kid, prosecutor Tom Foran's daughter was in my grade school class. Around the time of the trial. I was too young to know what was going on, but I knew hippies and weed were cool, and the war and Nixon were bad.

neighbor664

Tra la la tra la la la, mother fuckers!

renfield

Quote from: Lumpy on October 23, 2020, 04:13:20 PM
Quote from: renfield on October 23, 2020, 03:00:49 PM
TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7

Really entertaining but fundamentally historically dishonest...

Can you explain? Just curious, I haven't seen it yet.

When I was a kid, prosecutor Tom Foran's daughter was in my grade school class. Around the time of the trial. I was too young to know what was going on, but I knew hippies and weed were cool, and the war and Nixon were bad.

In a nutshell, Sorkin thinks the war and Nixon are bad, but he also thinks hippies and weed AREN'T cool and he blames them for making the left less effective/serious.

Which is fine, he's entitled to his opinion and I don't need to agree with a film's politics to find it interesting or entertaining.

But where I think he goes seriously astray is changing the historical record in order to portray the events in a way that's more palatable to his politics. So, the Seven themselves and particularly Abby Hoffman are shown as much more reverent and respectful of the court etc than they were in real life. On the other hand the corruption, brutality, and ideological zealotry of the judge and prosecuting attorney are minimized (Bobby Seale is shown to be gagged for only a few minutes instead of several days, no mention of working with the FBI to wiretap the defending attorney's offices, etc).

One detail I thought was particularly unforgivable: in real life, the defendants at one point disrupted the court by flying the US and Viet Cong flags and reciting the names of dead American and Vietnamese soldiers. Hilarity ensued with the court bailiff playing tug of war with the defendants with the VC flag, and Hoffman joked that the court had disrespected the American flag by failing to confiscate it as well.

The film shows it completely differently. He only reads the names of fallen US soldiers, and instead of a slapstick tug of war, it turns into a solemn moment where Both Sides put aside their differences and have mutual respect for the higher ideals etc etc.

Sorry to have gone on at length but hopefully the point is clear

Lumpy

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: neighbor664 on October 23, 2020, 04:37:11 PM

I really want to see this, but it's not available on Netflix. Fuck.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

neighbor664

Quote from: whoshotthefrog on October 24, 2020, 09:58:48 AM

I found it on the syfy/peacock app for free.

mortlock

I forgot to mention top gun on my 80s bender.

whoshotthefrog

Quote from: neighbor664 on October 24, 2020, 10:21:36 AM
Quote from: whoshotthefrog on October 24, 2020, 09:58:48 AM

I found it on the syfy/peacock app for free.

Awesome! Thanks.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

whoshotthefrog

whoshotthefrog

I watched this yesterday. It was so bad that it was actually good, if that makes any sense.

neighbor664

^Makes total sense to me.

The new Barbarians series on Netflix is good. After binging on the whole thing I then went through Deathstalker, both Conan movies and Red Sonja.