Show Off Your Rigs: Rebirth

Started by VOLVO))), December 04, 2010, 06:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient

Necro thread bump......

Since i'm a noob here at the moment might as well show y'all what i'm workin with.

Here's the practice rig:

Here's the Live amp rig: (the 300t is IN-OP, and that pedal board is now gone)

And Some of my guit fiddles:

The V's have iommi pickups, the jagmaster now has a gibby 500t in the bridge and a GFS mean 90 in the neck.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Ancient

Thanks Man! I have a custom Dunwich coming in March / April also, it's gonna be Nick's first 200 watt build. I'll also have some bass rig pics up in a week or two.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Ancient on February 02, 2012, 03:32:26 PM
Thanks Man! I have a custom Dunwich coming in March / April also, it's gonna be Nick's first 200 watt build. I'll also have some bass rig pics up in a week or two.

that's awesome. nice looking stuff. what band are you in?

Ancient

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 02, 2012, 04:39:06 PM
that's awesome. nice looking stuff. what band are you in?

At the moment a band called Ancient Astronaught. You can find us on reverbnation, bandcamp, facebook, etc. Its all old material we are in the process of finishing up the tunes for a full length and we should be recording here shortly.

clockwork green

Is that a 3x15? How is that set up impedance wise?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Ancient

Quote from: clockwork green on February 02, 2012, 05:23:56 PM
Is that a 3x15? How is that set up impedance wise?

Yes it is, loaded with weber michigans. Both cabs are 8 ohm cabs. You can find wiring diagrams online for 3 and 6 speaker diagrams pretty easily. The 6x12 has weber 65's and has great mid range cut, the 3x15's michigans are more scooped but have huge low end and really smooth highs, they balance each other out really well. First setup where it sounded best with the eq completely flat on the amp.

clockwork green

So for the 3x15 I'm assuming it's 2-8 ohm speakers in series running parallel with another 16 ohm speaker. Wouldn't the 8 ohm speakers be louder than the 16? This is what I've always worried about with 3 and 6 speaker set ups.

dunwichamps

i think 16 ohm would diss more power, since both pathways have the same current, I^2*R = P so the 16 ohm itself is dissipating more power.

mutantcolors

Right on, except for a squeir strat I keep around for solos I only use mean 90s.

Already posted elsewhere but why not? No shots of the big rig handy as it resides 25 miles from me currently, but it consists of:
Frenzel Champ -> Leslie 120
Acoustic 450 as slave from Frenzel -> Legend 4x12/g1230s (incredible speaks, wish I had 100watters though just so I wouldn't ruin these if i turned up but fuck it...my ears get too much out of this anyway)

Powered by my hands -> these

dunwichamps

heres my current gear crap assortment

Ampeg V4, Emperor 4x12, The small cab on the bottom right is a 70s Ampeg combo shell, with 2x12 speakers (currently G12-75s) which I could make into another amp, on top of that is the first amp I ever built a SE EL34 guy called little green. Pedals on floor, blah blah

Gibson SG, LP Standard +, Fender Tele and that crap bass from Kramer. Not Pictured is my 1W mini amp, my 1x12 tube combo amp, and my Gibson Explorer

At_Giza

Deja vu, I think I have seen this rig before.

clockwork green

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 03, 2012, 02:01:08 AM
i think 16 ohm would diss more power, since both pathways have the same current, I^2*R = P so the 16 ohm itself is dissipating more power.
So what does that mean in terms of performance.

justinhedrick

Quote from: clockwork green on February 03, 2012, 03:39:21 AM
Quote from: dunwichamps on February 03, 2012, 02:01:08 AM
So what does that mean in terms of performance.

it means that the 16 ohm speaker is more efficient and could be louder.

dunwichamps

depends on the speaker choice, you might have to tailor the sensitivity to adjust for balance between the two 2 8 ohms, and 1 16 ohm speaker. either a really inefficient 16 or 2 high efficiency 8 ohms

Ancient

Quote from: clockwork green on February 03, 2012, 01:19:55 AM
So for the 3x15 I'm assuming it's 2-8 ohm speakers in series running parallel with another 16 ohm speaker. Wouldn't the 8 ohm speakers be louder than the 16? This is what I've always worried about with 3 and 6 speaker set ups.

Here's a basic wiring diagram for how it works, and you are correct 2 8ohms and 1 16ohm.

I have not noticed any 1 speaker in the cab being louder than the others honestly, but with those two cabs running at the same time its just a huge wall of sound so it can be hard to tell. They are actually very balanced, i wanted the balance of a 4x12 + 2x15 just one step bigger and it worked out great. If i get a chance this weekend i will plug in to just the 3x15 and see if all three speakers put out the same volume just to make sure.

dunwichamps

if P was two times higher in the 16, it would be a 3 db increase over the other speakers, just something to know.

Ancient

Quote from: dunwichamps on February 03, 2012, 09:41:30 AM
if P was two times higher in the 16, it would be a 3 db increase over the other speakers, just something to know.

95% of average people couldnt tell a 3db difference, especially when combined with other speakers in a cab. If it was 6db or 10db then it could be problematic and alot more noticeable. I have a shitty DB meter on my phone that i will use to test the speakers this weekend and see if ti comes up with anything note worthy.

dunwichamps

Quote from: At_Giza on February 03, 2012, 03:31:58 AM
Deja vu, I think I have seen this rig before.

hasnt changed much minus the V4

Although I would love to make that 2x12 ampeg shell into a combo amp. Maybe a mix of a super clean modded Matamp front end, and a Sunn power amp with harmonic vibrato and possibly reverb. Thinking some nice newer Earth style vibes

dunwichamps

Quote from: Ancient on February 03, 2012, 09:45:58 AM
Quote from: dunwichamps on February 03, 2012, 09:41:30 AM

95% of average people couldnt tell a 3db difference, especially when combined with other speakers in a cab. If it was 6db or 10db then it could be problematic and alot more noticeable. I have a shitty DB meter on my phone that i will use to test the speakers this weekend and see if ti comes up with anything note worthy.

yea, 3db no biggie.

oh btw, while driving to Mass to get V4 i was put my headphones on and listened to all of the bees made honey in the lion's skull and said damn it would be kool to be in a project like that with vocals. I was like shit Skip would be good for that

Ancient

Do the combo nick that would be crucial!

If only i didnt live 7 hours away  :'( I havent listened to that album in forever, i will have to dig it out again if i can find it. I have as many musical project ideas as you have crazy amp ideas its so hard to settle down on one to 2 things, especially when factoring in finding reliable dedicated musicians to do them with. If i lived closer i would be all about it, me on rythmn guitar + vox with you on lead would be sick!

dunwichamps

Quote from: Ancient on February 03, 2012, 09:53:18 AM
Do the combo nick that would be crucial!

If only i didnt live 7 hours away  :'( I havent listened to that album in forever, i will have to dig it out again if i can find it. I have as many musical project ideas as you have crazy amp ideas its so hard to settle down on one to 2 things, especially when factoring in finding reliable dedicated musicians to do them with. If i lived closer i would be all about it, me on rythmn guitar + vox with you on lead would be sick!

its just a crackheads pipe dream really. Baritones tuned down, some piano 2. I always thought a piano clean is a heavy sounding thing on the low notes if u let them carry.

the amp would be a 2 x KT88 cathode biased, non master not too much power there but it would be sweet for clean dark tones

Beasleyboy

Running a black/black Gibson SG standard with BKP Pig 90's

dunwichamps

nice more doom room folks

glad to see u made it here

Nice setup, you actually use the FX loop in that amp???!??

Sorry but a long story about why its one of the worst loops i believe. If the design is taken from the OR/Mats of yesteryear

Beasleyboy

I only use the loop for delay as I like to run it with fuzz a lot, but I agree, the loop absolutely blows but it works fine for just running some delay