Avocado

Started by black aspirin, July 10, 2013, 01:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black aspirin

Can you believe that other than on a sushi roll (where you don't really taste them), I had never partaken in an avocado in my 40+ years of life until a few weeks ago?  And now I cannot go a day without eating one.  Why didn't you tell me sooner?  Soooooo good.  I might have another one later.
This Juan goes to 11.

Chovie D

Ryno

That's fuckin crazy talk man.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

RAGER

No shit??  That's almost as weird as this other guy I know that's never eaten an egg. 

Care for a guacamole recipe?
No Focus Pocus

black aspirin

I know.  I always avoided them based on the look (same with guacamole, which I now love).  It is crazy, in retrospect.
This Juan goes to 11.

black aspirin

Quote from: RAGER on July 10, 2013, 01:41:41 PM
No shit??  That's almost as weird as this other guy I know that's never eaten an egg. 

Care for a guacamole recipe?

Sure, and any creative way to use avocados.  It seems like I've heard of people eating hummus and avocado sandwiches, and both of those are things I only recently tried and now eat almost daily, so I'm gonna have to give that a shot.
This Juan goes to 11.

Chovie D

gespacho, guacamole, in grilled corn salads, on sandwhiches, burgers and burritos...but start with some good homemade guac.

ladysloth

Quote from: RAGER on July 10, 2013, 01:41:41 PM

we need to get these guys together for a meeting.

deleted account

I got Potbelly hooked on 'em at SHoD.  better late than never.

how long you planning on keeping us in suspense with that guac recipe, RAGE?

Lumpy

I just made a 4-avocado guacamole (and ate it in two days). Can't decide if that warrants a :D or :(

Didn't remember to buy a lime, but I forged ahead anyway. Avocados were perfectly ripe -- soft enough to mash, but no brown spots.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

MadJohnShaft

We always only have one so i need to stretch it - Avocado, salt, cumin, green onion, garlic, jalapeƱo, cilantro, lime, tomato.   I like to crush the avocado with a potato masher so many irregular whole pieces of avocado remain.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

deleted account

you forgot the parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme

mortlock

BA try substituting an avocado for the mayo in a tuna sandwich. get back to me with your findings. you will see this is not a conspiracy..

Lumpy

I make my guacamole different every time, depending on what I have around. The only mandatory ingredient is avocados, IMO.

chopped tomato
finely chopped onion
finely chopped garlic
lime juice or lemon juice
salsa (if you're out of everything else)
cilantro

in any combination. The only thing listed above which I won't add is cumin. I've never added jalapenos but I guess that could work. I'd rather keep it mild though.

Muffin Man

a fickle fruit. That baked one LS posted looks amazing!

Trivia - alligator pear. I got another one if that sounds good. ok, Mexican butter. Love the aguacate!

Lumpy

More trivia: one cup of avocado has 10 grams of fiber. That is hella good for something that isn't a bean. ;)

Muffin Man

I had Avacado in soup one day. the sliperry and fresh yellow-green slivers in juxtoposition to the red colored soup was....well, it worked.

mortlock

anything you do with an avocado works because they are fucking delicious..

Muffin Man

They are so good but I stil can;t figure out how to pick one or ripen it. How many species\kinds are there?

Muffin Man

I like them better than melons. Although, rubbing them on melons comes to mind. Avacado party!

mortlock

get it when its firm..put it on your counter in a brown paper bag in it will be ripe in a day or two.. it gets soft when its ripe. pretty much the opposite of most veggies and fruits..

Lumpy

Yeah, I usually buy a few at various degrees of firmness, so they won't all be ready at the same time.

Muffin Man

cool, got the paper bag. good one.

Lumpy, that's smart. I need to buy a few at a time rather than just one at a time.

deleted account

Haas avocados ripen from the inside out, so when they're soft to the light squeeze they're ready.  however, there's at least one other variety that ripens from the outside in, so that softness won't necessarily indicate ripeness

Muffin Man