breakfast

Started by Demon Lung, February 03, 2012, 11:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

An amazing Egg. The whole offering looks like the perfect heavy-drinking recovery program. Maybe a Bloody Mary afterwards?

RAGER

Unfortunately I'm at work but I'm overdue for hitting an early brunch before work on a Sunday. Breakfast board and oysters and couple drinks. Today would have been perfect. Shitty weather and it's dead dead dead here.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: Lumpy on September 08, 2019, 05:34:50 PM
I think the Thais call congee Jok ("joke").  I think I've only congee maybe once. Yours looks good!

Yeah you're right. This would be jok.  Khao tom is not as cooked down and more brothy. Both easy to make.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

renfield

Is that a stainless steel wok? Or did you transfer the fried eggs to a bowl?

RAGER

Cuisinart wok. I'm haute.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I'm normal. See?

Sunday breakfast.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Chicken mushroom broccoli Chinese celery congee.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Decadent! Did not expect to see parm.

RAGER

That's pecorino romano and it crisp up nicely on the bread.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Kalam phat nam plaa kai dao.

Stir fried cabbage with garlic, white pepper, and fish sauce. I added yu choy and a fried egg.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

baloney brek sand. 2 versions.

Muffin Man

Totally smashable. Looks like a specialty of yours? Man those look good - onion is off the charts - and the cheese. What kinda bread is that and brand of cheese (Wisonconny cheese?)? Good looking cheese.

mortlock

the bread is from a local bakery and it is awesome.
the cheese is great lakes sharp cheddar.
http://martusciellos.com/Breads.php

Muffin Man

Good dealio - bread and cheese - local baker makes a cheeseloaf. I'll chunk it up for dipping in soup. Block cheese flavor is weak around here so I've got to make plans. Going to copy your sandwich after making a run to the deli for real balogna.

mortlock

i cant wait to see your version of this american classic.

Jor el

Block Cheese will bind you up.

....which will lead to clogging Sleestalk's kitchen sink.

What Would Scooby Do ?

Muffin Man

That's true. I know better too, no need for excess.

RAGER

No matter what you call it, rice porridge, congee, jok, babor, khao piak it's one f my very favorite things for breakfast. Simple or busy.

This ones got a lot going on.

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Yeah I'm not sure that "khao tom" was wrong after all. Ask a Thai person what the difference between jok and khao tom is.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Jok seems to me to be more like congee where it's cooked down to a porridge where as khao tom is cooked less and leaves the grains of rice whole. I've also seen khao tom referred to as a dessert from sticky rice steamed 8n banana leaves with other ingredients.

I'm going to make myself some cheat sheets with a bunch of different terminology so I don't always have to look things up so much. The spellings are all over the place though. Kaeng/gaeng, moo/muu, gai/kai.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Steel cut oats congee with gai lan fried egg fermented red tofu and Szechuan chili oil. Damn good. Good fiber from the oats and less glycemic.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?