The food and drink forum blog thread.

Started by RAGER, April 22, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Sure, but the idea for me is healthy ingredients. You're eating a half cup of mayo. I forgot to recommend "fat free" Greek yogurt. It tastes like sour cream with hardly any calories, no fat (duh) and more protein than regular yogurt. It makes a good base for creamy salad dressings.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

I always have a tub of Fage in my fridge.
No Focus Pocus

sleestak

Killing threads is my business and business is good.

neighbor664

Due to a misunderstanding, the instacart shopper brought me 10 Lbs of pork chops. This takes a lot of my freezer space and there are only two of us eating here for a while.
Besides just making traditional chops like I'd planned, can y'all recommend some other ways to get through these? Maybe just subbing for other pork dishes?

renfield

Bone in or no? You could do a hacky variation on al pastor.

RAGER

Pack 4 of them in a mixture of day old rice, a bunch of salt, tons of minced garlic, finely chopped cilantro stems and fresh ground WHITE pepper. Coat em well and pack into a freezer bag pushing out all the air. Put that bag in the back of the fridge for 1 week. Pull it out and rinse everything off, let dry and fry up. Salty garlic delicious. Serve with nam prik.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Ill take them off your hands if its too much.

mortlock

Come to think of it, how the hell did you find a store that had 10 lbs of pork available. I bet someone coughed on it.

neighbor664

Quote from: mortlock on April 18, 2020, 04:43:56 PM
Come to think of it, how the hell did you find a store that had 10 lbs of pork available. I bet someone coughed on it.

They had many meats. I even got TP! It was flour that was not available.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

This is the worst food video I think I've ever seen... disgusting and dumb sandwiches (sandwich loafs, etc). It's kind of demented.

renfield

I got a rotisserie to go with my new grill, there is a chicken on it and it is dripping into a pan of root vegetables.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Anyone ever use goldbelly. Im thinking of ordering some philly cheesesteaks.

renfield

This was super tender and delicious. Skin could have been crispier.

RAGER

Nice job. I almost always spatchcock a whole bird these days. Helps with crispy skin thing.

Slooooooow roasted back ribs with a few chicken gams and shallots thrown in.

This is gonna sound kooky but for dessert I had vanilla bean ice cream with a sprinkle of brown sugar and cracked black pepper.

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I wanted to make a big batch of home fries or hash browns, that I can use for breakfasts. I decided that standing over a big pan of hot spattering oil, trying to prevent potatoes from sticking to the bottom (and failing) wouldn't be efficient or fun. So I roasted them in a rectangular Pyrex pan. About 10 small or medium potatoes cubed (I rinsed and dried the cubes, I usually never do that) and a medium diced onion. Salt, pepper, smoked paprika, tossed with about a half cup of olive oil (maybe too much oil, but whatever). 400 degrees for about 1.25 hours, flipped them around a couple times midway through. They look good!

In a couple months it will be too hot to run the oven all the time - might as well get my last shots in while the weather still allows it.

RAGER

I could teach a class on starchy things sticking to pans. There's a method. It involves temperature, dynamics, and fat.

Boil your taters first with lots f salt. Don't rinse them.  Let cool then cook them. In plenty of fat while initially moving them. Let them build a crust. Them flip em.

I get the idea of doing a big batch but taters get weird to me after refrigerated. I'd boil a bunch then cook em off as you want. Nice and fresh.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I came across some pork coppa steaks. That's for dinner tonight. A rare find and a great cut. Pics later.

Edit.

Another edit. Pic

It's 2:30. They're heavily salted. This is my counter brining technique. They'll sit like this until about 6 when they'll go in a hot cast iron skillet until inner temp is 135.

Still determining sides but one will be an asparagus salad and focaccia of course.

No Focus Pocus

socket

Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

renfield

Roasted shallots cherry tomatoes. Next time I'll add the tomatoes halfway through.
Tossed in a head of black garlic and reduced some wine
Led to some absolutely superb pasta. Neglected to get the money shot, sorry.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus